Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey
« on: March 10, 2014, 04:10:17 PM »
Anyone watching this abominable sacrilege?

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
Re: Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2014, 04:14:21 PM »

I DVR it, not good?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2014, 04:37:27 PM »

I DVR it, not good?
It was awesome.

I figured that's how it would be received here since Neil Degrasse Tyson, AKA the anti-Christ, is espousing science, AKA publicly worshiping the Devil.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Vandy Vol

• Bitches ain't shit but hos and tricks.
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2014, 04:58:41 PM »

DVR'ed it.  Haven't watched it yet.  I never saw the original with Carl Sagan.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." - Dean Martin

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2014, 08:10:37 PM »
I watched it.

It was okay.  A lot of people who pre-hyped the shit out of it are claiming it's the best thing ever. 

There's not a lot to it especially if you've read anything about the latest headlines in astrophysics.  Honestly, some of what he said on the show last night was a stretch.  The multi-verse is a hypothesis.  Some support it.  A bunch don't.

I thought it was interesting that he mentioned that believing in a guess or getting lucky by having your guess be right was not science because science requires testing that leads to a consistent conclusion.  Then he says that there are an infinite amount of universes in bubbles in some kind of universe ocean. 

I hope the next few are better and better focused.  If not, I doubt I'll finish the series. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

Vandy Vol

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2014, 08:23:22 PM »
I thought it was interesting that he mentioned that believing in a guess or getting lucky by having your guess be right was not science because science requires testing that leads to a consistent conclusion.  Then he says that there are an infinite amount of universes in bubbles in some kind of universe ocean.

To be fair, the multi-verse segment of the show was introduced with the phrase "Many of us suspect that all of this . . . is but one tiny bubble in an infinite ocean of other universes."
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." - Dean Martin

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2014, 09:34:40 PM »
To be fair, the multi-verse segment of the show was introduced with the phrase "Many of us suspect that all of this . . . is but one tiny bubble in an infinite ocean of other universes."

Meh.  The delivery was definite "this is truth."  He politicked it well, but it was the apex of a series of jaw-dropping observations about the universe.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2014, 06:59:00 AM »
It was awesome.

I figured that's how it would be received here since Neil Degrasse Tyson, AKA the anti-Christ, is espousing science, AKA publicly worshiping the Devil.

Fuck him.  He killed Pluto.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2014, 09:32:30 AM »
It was awesome.

Never heard of the guy. I don't get my information from Stewart, Colbert,or Maher.

But it is kinda funny he says that that essentially evolution has not been proven...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2014, 09:58:42 AM »
I also think it's funny that Chads first two posts were totally unprovoked - but damn them evil Christians!

Dogmatic? Strawman? Check

http://buzzpo.com/are-conservatives-and-christians-anti-science/
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2014, 10:45:40 AM »
I also think it's funny that Chads first two posts were totally unprovoked - but damn them evil Christians!

Dogmatic? Strawman? Check

http://buzzpo.com/are-conservatives-and-christians-anti-science/

He is making his own little documentary, "The Wood Behind The Science"!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2014, 11:01:04 AM »
IT'S ALL BULLSHIT!!!

Everyone knows Adam rode dinosaurs.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2014, 11:38:40 AM »
IT'S ALL BULLSHIT!!!

Everyone knows Adam rode dinosaurs.

Where is Steve?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2014, 01:05:30 PM »
I don't think you guys will disagree with this, but you've surprised me before.

Astrophysicist Neil DeGrasse Tyson, director of the Hayden Planetarium, is the host of "Cosmos," the rebooted version of Carl Sagan's classic science show. "Cosmos" debuted Sunday on Fox, and Tyson joined the Brian Lehrer Show on WNYC to discuss its return, as well why the Bible shouldn't be used as a textbook.

Rather than painting science and religion as diametrically opposed to each other, Tyson said that there are plenty of scientists who believe in God. “The issue there is not religion versus non-religion or religion versus science, the issue there is ideas that are different versus dogma," he observed.

He continued, “If you start using your scripture, your religious text as a source of your science, that’s where you run into problems, and there is no example of someone reading their scripture and saying ‘I have a prediction about the world that no one knows yet because this gave me insight.’”

“Enlightened religious people know this, and don’t try to use the Bible as a textbook,” he concluded.

Listen to the whole interview here -- his comments about religion start at the 10:59 mark:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/03/11/neil-degrasse-tyson-bible_n_4940980.html?&ncid=tweetlnkushpmg00000067
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2014, 04:04:24 PM »
I don't think you guys will disagree with this, but you've surprised me before.
ummmm I think some of what I read in that is exactly what I've tried to tell you before. Some things are not mutually exclusive. Not every Christian is a bible thumping, logic out the window, holy roller.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Vandy Vol

« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2014, 06:01:40 PM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2014, 09:44:10 PM »
Anyone see this week's episode?

The topic was evolution. It did a pretty good job of explaining some things people on this forum take issue with.

I highly, highly, highly recommend, especially if you don't believe in evolution.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2014, 09:46:43 PM »
Anyone see this week's episode?

The topic was evolution. It did a pretty good job of explaining some things people on this forum take issue with.

I highly, highly, highly recommend, especially if you don't believe in evolution.

I caught some of it. Didn't really offend me. I guess I'm one of the few that think they can co exist. Call me a dreamer.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2014, 10:53:20 PM »
I caught some of it. Didn't really offend me. I guess I'm one of the few that think they can co exist. Call me a dreamer.

I'm right there with you.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2014, 07:01:59 AM »
I'm right there with you.

You fucking dreamer.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."