Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

HUNH May Be Killed

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
Re: HUNH May Be Killed
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2014, 11:27:06 AM »
You go brush up on Eastern European geography.  Really, Yugo now.........

:rimshot:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2014, 01:34:20 PM »
The NCAA Rules Committee.
@slmandel
Can confirm Nick Saban & Bret Bielema were in the room (but not voters) for the rules committee discussion that produced 10-second proposal.

Wow.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2014, 01:38:56 PM »
Wow.

This type of shit seriously makes me want to give up watching college football. 

Maybe it's just on the table and Saban and fat ass made their case.

I can't imagine this getting passed.  It's not just Auburn and Ole Miss running the no huddle.  A bunch of teams run the hurry up.

And what gets me, Saban just hired Kiffin with the intention of speeding up his offense.

Fuck him.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2014, 01:43:15 PM »
Also Chris Fowler chimes in:

@cbfowler 2h

It bothers me when proposed rule change to slow offensive tempo is disguised as "student athlete safety" concern. Please.

Then Fowler said this:
Not surprised, but amused how #Alabama & #Auburn fans view EVERY issue through lens of "Us vs Them!" 360 degrees, 24/7/365!

To which Chopper retorted:
@cbfowler Well, did you know that @slmandel just confirmed SABAN was in the discussions on 10 second rule? No justification at all. None.

To which Fowler replied:
@AuburnChopper @slmandel not surprised. Nick advancing his agenda. And he knows fewer injuries not the real issue. Trust me.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2014, 01:46:18 PM »
What I want to know is why the FUCK does Saban get the OPPORTUNITY to advance his agenda?

So beyond inequitable. Such a ridiculous conflict of interests.

Why does the media just withhold comment on that shit?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2014, 01:49:41 PM »
What I want to know is why the FUCK does Saban get the OPPORTUNITY to advance his agenda?

So beyond inequitable. Such a ridiculous conflict of interests.

Why does the media just withhold comment on that shit?

Deep down somewhere, money's involved.  It always is. 

Not sure where it comes from or who is getting it, but there are at least two people involved.  One with an open checkbook and one with power and influence.

I'd like to point out the connection between Saban and Emmert, but it might not even be them.  It could be a Bama booster named Fred and an ESPN executive named Steve.  No idea.

But it's beyond obvious.  From the recruiting shadiness to the strange calls by the refs to the preferential treatment in the media to being able to influence rule changes, it's a complete circle of control by the University of Alabama. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2014, 01:56:57 PM »
Deep down somewhere, money's involved.  It always is. 

Not sure where it comes from or who is getting it, but there are at least two people involved.  One with an open checkbook and one with power and influence.

I'd like to point out the connection between Saban and Emmert, but it might not even be them.  It could be a Bama booster named Fred and an ESPN executive named Steve.  No idea.

But it's beyond obvious.  From the recruiting shadiness to the strange calls by the refs to the preferential treatment in the media to being able to influence rule changes, it's a complete circle of control by the University of Alabama.

What about the Gettys, the Rothchilds, The Queen...and Col. Sanders!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2014, 01:59:27 PM »
http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/post/_/id/93579/no-huddle-coaches-blast-ncaa-proposal
No-huddle coaches blast NCAA proposal
February, 12, 2014

By Mark Schlabach

If the NCAA Football Rules Committee gets its way, college football teams no longer will be penalized 15 yards if one of its players really didn’t target an opposing player.

But teams could actually be penalized for delay of game for – get this – playing too fast.

A few coaches of teams that utilize no-huddle, hurry-up offenses – which are becoming more and more common at the FBS level – immediately blasted the proposed substitution rules change, saying its only intention is to slow them down.

“It’s a joke. It’s ridiculous,” said Arizona coach Rich Rodriguez. “And what’s most ridiculous is did you see what the penalty is going to be called? Delay of game! How is that a delay of game? That’s the ultimate rules committee decision. Make the game slower and call it delay of game.”

The NCAA committee recommended a rules change that will allow defensive units to substitute within the first 10 seconds of the 40-second play clock, excluding the final two minutes of each half. So in effect, offenses won’t be allowed to snap the ball until the play clock reaches 29 seconds or less. If the offense snaps the ball before then, it would be penalized five yards for delay of game. Under current rules, defenses aren’t guaranteed an opportunity to substitute unless the offense subs first.

“First off, doubt it will pass,” Washington State coach Mike Leach said. “Second, it’s ridiculous. All this tinkering is ridiculous. I think it deteriorates the game. It’s always been a game of creativity and strategy. So anytime someone doesn’t want to go back to the drawing board or re-work their solutions to problems, then what they do is to beg for a rule. I think it’s disgusting.”

The rules changes proposed by the NCAA Football Rules Committee will be submitted to the NCAA Playing Rules Oversight Panel for discussion on March 6.

In an NCAA statement, the NCAA Football Rules Committee said “research indicated that teams with fast-paced, no-huddle offenses rarely snap the ball with 30 seconds or more on the play clock.” The NCAA statement also said the proposed rules change also “aligns with a request from the Committee on Competitive Safeguards and Medical Aspects of Sports that sport rules committees review substitution rules in regards to player safety.” In the NCAA’s non-rules change years, proposals can only be made for safety reasons or for modifications that enhance the intent of a previous rule change, according to the NCAA statement.

Leach and Rodriguez aren’t buying that slowing down hurry-up offenses would make players safer.

“Where’s all the data that proves this is a player safety issue? I don’t buy it,” Rodriguez said. “What about making it so you can’t blitz seven guys? That’s a dangerous thing for a quarterback.”

Ole Miss coach Hugh Freeze, whose team also runs an uptempo offense, wants to know if there is actual proof that uptempo offenses cause more injuries to players.

"Is there documented medical evidence that supports this rule change that tempo offenses are putting players at a higher degree of risk than others? If there is then show it to us," Freeze told ESPN.com Wednesday night. "Where is it? They're going to have to show us some evidence. If there's not any evidence, then they should table it.

"You can do it the last two minutes of the game. Isn't that when you should be most fatigued?

Added Leach: “That’s really insulting that they are hiding behind player safety just because somebody wants an advantage. That’s crazy.”

This past season, fast-paced, no-huddle offenses continued to operate faster and faster in college football. Baylor, which led FBS teams in scoring (52.4 points) and total offense (618.8 yards), averaged 82.6 offensive plays in 13 games. Texas Tech averaged a whopping 87.3 offensive plays under first-year coach Kliff Kingsbury, and Fresno State averaged 83.6 offensive plays.

But some coaches, including Alabama’s Nick Saban and Arkansas’ Bret Bielema, have criticized hurry-up offenses, arguing that they give offenses an unfair advantage and don’t allow them to adequately substitute defensive players.

“All you’re trying to do is get lined up [on defense],” Saban told ESPN.com in September. “You can’t play specialty third-down stuff. You can’t hardly scheme anything. The most important thing is to get the call so the guys can get lined up, and it’s got to be a simple call. The offense kind of knows what you’re doing."

But Leach contends it’s unfair to handcuff offenses because defenses can’t keep up with the pace.

“My suggestion is rather than spending a bunch of time coming up with a bunch of really stupid rules, spend that time coaching harder,” Leach said. “Worry about your own team and try to make your product better rather than trying to change the game so you don’t have to do anything.”

Freeze also believes that allowing defenses to rotate players in and out more frequently under this rule will put offensive linemen who are a part of uptempo offenses at more risk for injury because they will potentially face fresher defensive linemen every few snaps.

"If anything, you may be making it more dangerous for the offensive line because they're going to face 12 five-star defensive linemen from Alabama rotating every three plays," he said.

To Freeze, taking away the opportunity to snap the ball as fast as possible is taking away a major fundamental advantage that any offense can use against opposing defenses, which are allowed as much movement as possible before a play is even run.

"Since the start of football, defenses can line up wherever they want to," Freeze said. "They can move around as much as they want to before the snap. … They can do whatever they want to do, that's fine. I coach defense, too, that's great. The one thing that has always been offenses' deal is snapping the ball. That's the only thing we have."

The proposed change to the sport’s new targeting rules seems like a no-brainer after a slew of controversial decisions during the 2013 season. Under current NCAA rules, which went into effect this past season, players penalized for targeting opposing players were ejected from the contest and their teams were penalized 15 yards. But officials were allowed to review the play and determine whether a targeting foul actually occurred. If officials determined the play wasn’t targeting, the player’s ejection was overturned but the 15-yard penalty was still enforced.

If the proposed rule change is approved, the ejection and the penalty won’t be enforced. However, if a defender is penalized for a personal foul in conjunction with the overturned targeting foul, such as roughing the passer, a 15-yard penalty will still be enforced.

In games in which instant replay is not in use, the committee recommended an option to permit on-field officials to review targeting calls during halftime that were made during the first half. Officials then could reverse the targeting call and allow the player to compete in the second half.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2014, 02:17:56 PM »
So only Freeze had the ball to point the finger at the ONE person that really wants this!

I bet Malzahn's phone is blowing up over this. Every al.com hack is wanting to stir up a fight.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2014, 02:27:58 PM »
Chizad's posted article.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2014, 03:09:29 PM »
As I said way back when Lord Saybinz first started whining about this.  How about you get a 3 and out and you don't have to worry about the HUNH.  Just don't allow the other team to get 10 yards in 3 plays or less and your wittle defense won't get pooped.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2014, 03:12:52 PM »
As I said way back when Lord Saybinz first started whining about this.  How about you get a 3 and out and you don't have to worry about the HUNH.  Just don't allow the other team to get 10 yards in 3 plays or less and your wittle defense won't get pooped.
Nice job Tin man
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2014, 03:16:01 PM »
Nice job Tin man

Do you not see me talking here?  Don't interrupt. Rude!!!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2014, 03:16:37 PM »
What about the Gettys, the Rothchilds, The Queen...and Col. Sanders!

No, Colonel Sanders...you're wrong
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2014, 03:24:32 PM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2014, 03:26:47 PM »
I wonder how the TV folks feel about this new rule change. 

Since the offenses started scoring more points, football has reached an all time high in popularity and marketing.  I'm sure they just love seeing that it could be choked back into old school football. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2014, 03:31:39 PM »
http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2014/02/sad_to_see_the_ncaa_help_nick.html
Sad to see the NCAA help Nick Saban and friends slow down the HUNH (Kevin Scarbinsky)

By Kevin Scarbinsky | kscarbinsky@al.com AL.com
February 13, 2014 at 1:44 PM

Can you flag a coach for targeting?

If so, someone should throw a yellow hanky at Nick Saban, Bret Bielema and every other old-school coach who hasn't been able to stop the likes of Gus Malzahn, Kevin Sumlin and other new-age thinkers by conventional methods.

The best offensive coaches have always come up with innovations to move the ball, and the best defensive coaches have always conjured up ways to stop them.

Until now.

Now the best defensive coaches have admitted defeat and asked for help, and sadly, the NCAA is riding to their rescue.

The NCAA Football Rules Committee has proposed a rule that'll prevent offenses from snapping the ball within the first 10 seconds after the 40-second play clock begins except in the last two minutes of each half. The defense will be allowed to substitute during that 10-second window even if the offense doesn't.

That rule is deeply flawed on several fronts.

The committee said research shows even hurry-up no-huddle offenses rarely snap the ball within 10 seconds after the play clock begins. If it's rare, why is a rule required to prevent it?

If that logic weren't faulty enough, the committee cited player safety as the reason for the rule without offering any data to show that playing at a faster pace endangers players. Probably because there isn't any.

Hiding behind player safety is a joke when you consider that the NCAA approved a 12th regular-season game and conference championship games, not to mention that the five power conferences invented a four-team playoff that could have two teams playing 15 games each starting next season.

More games mean more practices. More games and practices mean more chances to get hit and get hurt. No one's tapping the brakes there. Couldn't have anything to do with all the money those extra games generate, could it?

Back to the proposal to move football back toward the Ice Age. Did you see what the new 5-yard penalty for snapping the ball too quickly will be called? Delay of game. Only the NCAA.

The only good thing about the new rule is that it still has to be approved by the NCAA Playing Rules Oversight Panel before it can take effect next season. One member of the panel, Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott, is sure to get an earful from coaches in his league such as Arizona's Rich Rodriguez and Washington State's Mike Leach, pioneers of playing fast and furious.

It's hard to know which way the rest of the panel may go. MAC Commissioner Jon Steinbrecher would appear to be sympathetic to teams that win with offensive brains over defensive brawn, but check out the other members:

Shelley Appelbaum, senior women's administrator, Michigan State.
Derita Ratcliffe, senior women's administrator, UAB.
Jeff Hurd, commissioner, WAC.
Noreen Morris, commissioner, Northeast Conference.
Lisa Sweany, AD, Armstrong Atlantic State University.
Kristy Bayer, senior women's administrator, Arkansas Tech.
Doug Zipp, AD, Shenandoah University.
Lynn Oberbillig, AD, Smith College.
Sue Lauder, AD, Fitchburg State University.

Those administrators have a choice. They can either help Saban and Bielema slow down Malzahn and Sumlin or force the old-school guys to find a way to deal with the new-age gurus.

Who do you really want deciding football games - players and coaches or ADs and senior women's administrators?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2014, 04:03:50 PM »
I'm sensing a consensus among those with intimate college football knowledge that this is Nicks way of catching up and not about safety.

I don't think it passes but if it does, I have confidence in Gus to figure something out. We have arguably more to lose than any other team in the country if it passes. If it doesn't, a win next year in JHS west will feel much sweeter.

There should be more outrage that its even being considered.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

The Six

• Leaning on a broken fence b/t past & present tense
    • My Linktree
« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2014, 04:07:43 PM »
Thomas Edison used the government to clobber Nikola Tesla. Same shit different day.

sigh
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I'm sick of following my dreams...I'm just going to ask them where they are going and hook up with 'em later." - Mitch Hedberg

The Six

• Leaning on a broken fence b/t past & present tense
    • My Linktree
« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2014, 04:09:34 PM »
I have confidence in Gus
to bolt to the NFL at first chance. Why stay if they won't let you work?

:rolleyes:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I'm sick of following my dreams...I'm just going to ask them where they are going and hook up with 'em later." - Mitch Hedberg