Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

About Our Back Seven...

jmar

About Our Back Seven...
« on: August 03, 2014, 04:01:09 PM »
It's not so much the linebackers as it is the secondary that give me pause. And like many of you, the name Holland leads a couple of us  :rolleyes: to wonder why it took two thirds of last season to settle on McKenzie at Will and Frost at Mike with Swain filling in at times.

The plan all along according to Coach Johnson was to reverse them because Frost was more familiar with the signals tham McKinzy and he is also more athletic having been a former receiver. And now Swain is a good choice at either spot. We have good depth in the middle with Cameron Toney and Tre' Williams. Kenny Flowers and JaViere Mitchell are back ups at Will.

I don't think we have many concerns at Spur as long as Garrett stays healthy enough to fill in for Therezie with Brandon King providing depth. And if there is going to be a bad assed hit in the open field, these guys will likely deliver it.

Our Boundary safeties are Derrick Moncrief and Josh Holsey.
Field Safeties will be Jermaine Whitehead and Johnathan Ford.

Cornerbacks: Jonathon Mincy had a pick and 56 total tackles last season. Jonathon Jones and Kamryn Melton back him with Trovon Reed and T.J. Davis manning the other side. Mackenro Alexander and Kalvaraz Bessent will play too.
These are the two positions on the field that bother me the most because a team with a good run game and an adequate passer can clown you if you are prone to turn the wrong way or cheat down for run help on play action. Our Field Safeties get suckered now and again which sometimes leaves us with  no help over the top.

I'm hoping we can get the number reduced somewhat in the points against column, at least to a respectable level. Under 20 might be a reach but with a years experience under our belt it's possible to get there.
Discuss-

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
Re: About Our Back Seven...
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2014, 07:55:21 PM »
What is odd to me is that the back seven "just happen" to all be black. Would you have so much pause if they were white? I'm not trying to make this into a racial thing. Just saying. There are other racists on this board but I have not suspected jmar. At least not until now.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

AUownsU

• Hold my beer.
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2014, 08:46:19 PM »
Seems like I read Hosley would be playing corner this year.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2014, 08:55:44 PM »
Hosley is probably going back to CB, like AUownsU stated & Mackenro Alexander probably moving to Safety. As for the black/white thing. I'd give pause if we had a couple white guys back there.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

jmar

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2014, 09:04:53 PM »
What is odd to me is that the back seven "just happen" to all be black. Would you have so much pause if they were white? I'm not trying to make this into a racial thing. Just saying. There are other racists on this board but I have not suspected jmar. At least not until now.
You will be receiving a cease and desist order from a partially balled attorney in the coming days.
Just so you know.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2014, 09:12:08 PM »
Hosley is probably going back to CB, like AUownsU stated & Mackenro Alexander probably moving to Safety. As for the black/white thing. I'd give pause if we had a couple white guys back there.
It's strange to me that after three seasons at receiver, Trovon Reed is now a starting corner. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2014, 01:05:58 AM »
It's strange to me that after three seasons at receiver, Trovon Reed is now a starting corner.
Doubt he starts at corner. I'm thinking Holsey & Mincy at the corners, with Whitehead, Moncrief & Therezie/Garrett at the Safeties and Star positions.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

jmar

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2014, 03:12:57 AM »
Doubt he starts at corner. I'm thinking Holsey & Mincy at the corners, with Whitehead, Moncrief & Therezie/Garrett at the Safeties and Star positions.
Yes but you know they have him listed first on the depth chart currently and I'm wondering if we missed this aggressive standout defender in him all this time... or is this some sort of lifetime achievement or coming of age thing?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2014, 09:39:23 AM »
Yes but you know they have him listed first on the depth chart currently and I'm wondering if we missed this aggressive standout defender in him all this time... or is this some sort of lifetime achievement or coming of age thing?

Trovon played with the first team during A-day and looked pretty good. Of course it was against a rag tag group. But he did not look lost. IF he can just follow behind a WR by one step instead of three, I'd give him the nod over Mincy.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

jmar

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2014, 09:47:02 AM »
Trovon played with the first team during A-day and looked pretty good. Of course it was against a rag tag group. But he did not look lost. IF he can just follow behind a WR by one step instead of three, I'd give him the nod over Mincy.
That's encouraging.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2014, 10:04:47 AM »

No shit.

I am done with Mincy after watching him again in the Iron Bowl replay. Getting beat multiple times and then taking a swing at the WR with 3:00 that could have cost AUburn the game. Luckily it was offsetting penalties. Lawson got in his face and you could clearly see Mincy saying "Fuck You".
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2014, 11:08:05 AM »
Plus he can't catch worth a shit so that should make for an all world DB.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum