Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

HUNH May Be Killed

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
Re: HUNH May Be Killed
« Reply #120 on: February 20, 2014, 06:52:00 PM »
The last paragraph is very concerning.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #121 on: February 21, 2014, 04:33:25 PM »
An actual doctor weighs in from Deadspin.

http://regressing.deadspin.com/no-fast-tempo-isnt-endangering-college-football-playe-1526176098
No, Fast Tempo Isn't Endangering College Football Players

The concerns over head trauma have been splashed across the front pages of newspapers and magazines for the past five years, and have led to a host of rule changes in college football. But one proposal for a new change—called the Tempo Rule—has caught the public's attention for, well, not making very much sense.

The Tempo Rule was introduced to the NCAA Football Rules Committee earlier this month and would prevent offenses from snapping the ball within the first 10 seconds after the 40-second play clock resets, allowing a defense to substitute even if the offense does not. (A team that snaps the ball too quickly will ironically be called for a delay of game.) The idea, championed by Alabama coach Nick Saban, is that up-tempo offenses are more likely to cause injuries for defensive players who can't get off of the field in time.

To be clear: There is currently no known evidence that players are being injured by the hurry-up offense or that a rule change would improve player safety. In fact, research shows that it's rare for even fast-paced, no-huddle attacks to snap the ball with 30 seconds or more left on the play clock. So this is a debate about nothing and affecting nothing.

"This rules change is being made to enhance student-athlete safety by guaranteeing a small window for both teams to substitute," Air Force coach Troy Calhoun, chair of the rules committee, recently said. "As the average number of plays per game has increased, this issue has been discussed with greater frequency by the committee in recent years and we felt like it was time to act in the interests of protecting our student-athletes."

On the very surface, yes, that is true, but it's a rhetorical sleight of hand, a magic trick that obscures further, better options that achieve the same result. If the concern is that football is so dangerous that we're trying to find a way to expose players to fewer plays, why not shorten the season? Or the length of a game? Why not limit the number of off-season practices? Or why not eliminate what many believe is the most dangerous play in football, the kick-off? Maybe because those options would cut into the amount of billable hours college football is on television and the control coaches have over every facet of the game.

It also ignores the splash benefits of speeding the game up. A faster game that keys on endurance would take away a lot of the incentive for Alabama to carry four 300-pound underclassmen on its defensive line, or an offensive lineman coming in over 380 pounds. These are college kids, and incentivizing them to become morbidly obese to play football seems like it would be a "health risk" that outweighs whatever comes along with a hurry-up offense.

The important thing to realize is that NCAA did not designate this as an offseason where rules changes could be made, with the exception being any that relate to player safety. It's not that the NCAA must be beholden to its own arbitrary limitations of changing rules if player safety is a concern; it's just that the health of college players is being used to smuggle in rules changes that a few disgruntled coaches don't like. What we have here are coaches like Nick Saban, who has openly discussed the difficulty of playing against a hurry-up offense, seeking a tactical advantage under the cloak of player safety.

Arizona coach Rich Rodriguez called the proposal "ridiculous" and Auburn coach Gus Malzahn told reporters on Tuesday, "We play in a very violent game, but as far as this particular rule with no evidence I disagree… I don't think we need to lose sight of the fact that the only way you can change a rule is the health and safety of our players. And it's got to be documented, and there's got to be proof. And there's not."

Both coaches are right. And it appears that the rules committee is listening. Six days after initially supporting the rule change, the chairman of the committee, Troy Calhoun told reporters, "The key is this: I think the only way that it can or it should become a rule is if it is indeed a safety concern. And that can't be something that's a speculation or a possibility I think there's got to be something empirical there where you realize, 'Yep, this truly is a health matter' in terms of not being able to get a defensive player off the field."

Thankfully, the rule proposal will not go into effect unless passed March 6 by the Playing Rules Oversight Panel and coaches have until March 3 to present any evidence that supports or refutes their safety claims. If there's any evidence that players are being injured because of the up-tempo offense, we'll see it there.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #122 on: February 21, 2014, 04:36:57 PM »
Saw this quote from Marcus A'Richtius on the Lord Saybinz rule. 

"I feel like if you can train offensive players to play five or six plays in a row, you can train defensive players to play that many plays in a row, too," Richt said. "I personally don't think it's a health issue deal, but if there's some evidence otherwise, it will be interesting to see it. ... I think it's somebody's assumption. I don't think there's any hard evidence on it."
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #123 on: February 21, 2014, 05:25:12 PM »
Saw this quote from Marcus A'Richtius on the Lord Saybinz rule. 

"I feel like if you can train offensive players to play five or six plays in a row, you can train defensive players to play that many plays in a row, too," Richt said. "I personally don't think it's a health issue deal, but if there's some evidence otherwise, it will be interesting to see it. ... I think it's somebody's assumption. I don't think there's any hard evidence on it."
Basically, sabbin and tub 'O needs to get their players in better condition...instead of having a 855lb. Gorilla that can only play 3 snaps at the most, before needing a oxygen mask and hydration.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #124 on: February 25, 2014, 07:46:34 AM »
Basically, sabbin and tub 'O needs to get their players in better condition...instead of having a 855lb. Gorilla that can only play 3 snaps at the most, before needing a oxygen mask and hydration.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

« Reply #125 on: February 25, 2014, 08:40:00 AM »

Exactly.

I heard a radio host - I believe Cowherd - mention that the HUNH allows for teams that can't compete against the five star defensive tackles to have the chance to win.  Saban is bitching that his five star defensive tackles are too fat and out of shape to compete against the HUNH.

You know what that means?  Those five star defensive tackles are no longer five stars. 

Just like if offenses evolved to only use 5'7 wide receivers that were ultra-quick, 6'2 200 pound corners would no longer be considered the perfect build for a corner. 

But isn't this discussion over?  I think it's widely accepted that the rule will be shot down until at least next year. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #126 on: February 25, 2014, 10:28:49 AM »
Exactly.

I heard a radio host - I believe Cowherd - mention that the HUNH allows for teams that can't compete against the five star defensive tackles to have the chance to win.  Saban is bitching that his five star defensive tackles are too fat and out of shape to compete against the HUNH.

You know what that means?  Those five star defensive tackles are no longer five stars. 

Just like if offenses evolved to only use 5'7 wide receivers that were ultra-quick, 6'2 200 pound corners would no longer be considered the perfect build for a corner. 

But isn't this discussion over?  I think it's widely accepted that the rule will be shot down until at least next year.
The thing is that those big D lineman can be conditioned to go longer. I've seen fat guys that can. It's a matter of what they train to do. Sure, they are gonna get winded and on average, the bigger they are the windeder they gets. This is just a way to circumvent for Sabs and Porkchop.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #127 on: February 25, 2014, 10:47:20 AM »
The thing is that those big D lineman can be conditioned to go longer. I've seen fat guys that can. It's a matter of what they train to do. Sure, they are gonna get winded and on average, the bigger they are the windeder they gets. This is just a way to circumvent for Sabs and Porkchop.

Field goal returns aren't their friend.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #128 on: August 04, 2014, 10:57:53 AM »
This pretty much destroys any shred of dignity anyone still defending this has.*

http://cfbmatrix.wpengine.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/The-CFBMatrix-Pace-of-Play-Summary-Report.pdf

* i.e. Cecil Hurt

Pathetic:
https://twitter.com/LisaHorne/status/496128710907797505
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #129 on: August 04, 2014, 12:04:22 PM »
This pretty much destroys any shred of dignity anyone still defending this has.*

http://cfbmatrix.wpengine.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/The-CFBMatrix-Pace-of-Play-Summary-Report.pdf

* i.e. Cecil Hurt

Pathetic:
https://twitter.com/LisaHorne/status/496128710907797505

I thought it said a lot of nothing.  His conclusions were inconclusive.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum