Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

I was at today's scrimmage...My EXPERT analysis

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
I was at today's scrimmage...My EXPERT analysis
« on: August 16, 2008, 07:46:15 PM »
Today's scrimmage at JHS was closed to the public except for Tigers Unlimited members.  So, naturally I went because that's just the way I roll.
(Okay, my dad got me in but that's beside the point)

Anyway, I haven't been to a scrimmage in just about forever so I don't know if this was typical but they ran in a new unit every series on both sides.  It was obvious it was first..to second..to third teams etc.  The QB's were Kodi, Todd, Trotter and Caudle.  On theing that was mega F'd up was the fact that they gave us a sheet with names and numbers but did not include the true freshmen so I couldn"t tell who half of them were.  Guess you don't get as much for donating a freakin' scholarship as you used to.

A few observations:

Offensively:
1. Burns and Todd are as even as the reports say they are.  Both seemed to have good days and Burns is easily the far superior runner.  Duh!! 

2.  Trott is slimmed down and a big time TE.  He gives us a serious weapon from that position.  Made several nice grabs.  McKenzie looked very good as well.  Freak of nature.

3. Early on, Tate took a pitch on an option from Burns and went down the left side, stopped on the sidelines and cut back...GONE!!!  He looks like he's not even running and smokes anyone trying to track him down.   Also made a couple of blocks picking guys up in the backfield.  He jacked the shit out of some folks. Lester did not play.

4. Eric Smith is a beast.  Best looking running back out there today overall.  Got several carries and he made the most of them.  He's built like a damn bowling ball and runs hard.  Reminds me of a bigger Rudi.

5. We've got some tall, very fast and rangey receivers.  Chris Slaughter needs about 10 more pounds but damn, he's a great athlete.  One guy that ran with the 1's was Harry Adams.  (I'm 99% sure it was him)  This kid is a super athlete.  About 6'3" and 203, fast and he was open all freakin' day.  One problem...big problem.  He couldn't catch a damn thing.  I counted 4 drops right in his hands, one of which was a touchdown with no one within 15 yards of him.  Work that "Minor" issue out and he could be starting. 

6. Overall, the offense was sloppy the first quarter and a half.  I was thinking this spread thing is for the birds.  But then, it started clicking and they started going deep and running some misdirection stuff that looked awesome.  They may have something here.  Did not see Fannin.  he may have played but I didn't see him.

Defense:

1. Not much to report here.  They looked exactly like you would think after coming off two a days.  Slow as hell, missed assignments, no pads popping.  There were moments for sure. 

2. Not to sound gay here but I loves me some Antoine Carter.  Hands down one of the top 3-4 athleltes out there.  He's big and unstoppable. Blackmon didn't play that I saw. 

3.  Zack Clayton should be solidly in the rotation.  He's a load up the middle and his motor runs all the time. 

4. Jake Ricks had a couple of good series where he stuffed some hapless RB in the backfield.  He penetrates well.

5. Merrill Johnson was one of the few really head hunting out therre today.  He's going to have a good year.

6. The DBs looked very average with a few bright moments.  Slade made a nice break and made a pick.  Ryan Williams was real aggressive at times on the run.  I'm not sure who was wearing #14 out there but I think it was Thorpe.  He made a nice pick on an overthrown ball and took it to the house.  Also ran back some kickoffs.  Stud of an athlete whoever it was.  Not in the program so I'm assuming one of the true freshmen.

7. They probably held out a few guys because I never saw Marks or Blackmon etc.  Again, overall they looked like they were running in quicksand to me. 

Overall impression.  This is an incredibly athletic team.  Tons of athletes out there.  Receiving corp looks very good and with Lester, Tate and true freshman Smith....no worries at RB.  No real read on the defense because of how sluggish they looked to me.  Hell the coaches may give a totally different account of the defense but I sincerely hope we're better than that.  If they are...this team is going to be REAL FUN to watch.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Re: I was at today's scrimmage...My EXPERT analysis
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2008, 09:21:59 PM »
Great report.  To clear up a few numbers, and this doesn't mean they weren't where you said...

Harry Adams is #14, been playing DB this spring and was probably who you saw there.  In fact I read elsewhere where he intercepted a pass from Barrett Trotter (Also #14).  He might have played a few at WR, he's actually listed as a WR on the AU website.   Nieko Thorpe is #9 on defense.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2008, 11:22:50 PM »
You are correct oh exalted Chop.  I went to the Auburn Athletics website and 89 is Darvin Adams...not Harry.  They changed jerseys at half and only the blue jerseys had the names.  I thought I made out Adams on the back of #89 and assumed it was Harry.  Again, if he gets his head right with regards to making the catch...he starts.  The kid's an athlete.

Now, speaking of Harry Adams...that boy's a bad ass mamma jamma.  #14 stood out big time today.  I read some of CTT's comments and he praised Phillip Pierre Louis.  He's small, quick and makes plays.  He got several touches and made something happen every time.

I'm gonna' say it again.  Eric Smith is a stud.  Bammers joked about this class but I'm telling you, there's going to be 5-6 at least, contributing in a major way this year. 

On a special teams note...Shumaker will be pushed up until the season starts.  Clinton Durst? He hit about 3 cannon fucking shots in a row.  High, tight spirals going 45-50.  Shumaker had his moments too but he's gonna' have to be real consistent to beat this guy out.  Byrum is #1.  Every field goal and extra point they tried, they let Byrum and Hull? (Again, I'm old and drunk right now) each take one shot at it.  Hull has a strong leg but not nearly as consistent.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

ssgaufan

• WDE!!!
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2008, 03:21:27 AM »
That's some mighty fine reporting you did Birdman, mighty fine.  I'm so fucking fired up for football season, that I am about to explode!  :hulk:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions