Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

7A

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
7A
« on: January 22, 2014, 03:11:25 PM »
pinched and pasted from teh dot coms to the a..l

They just recently changed the HS classifications around a good bit.  Now, they're putting the biggest and baddest in a higher classification.  Haven't seen the whole breakdown yet but they left our two 6A schools, Dothan and Northview in 6A.  Which is a good thing.  Anywhooz....

For the first time in more than 25 years, the AHSAA Central Board made a major change to the governing body’s classification system.

Beginning this fall, the AHSAA will have seven classifications, with the 32 largest schools by enrollment in the newly created Class 7A. The remaining six classes were divided as equally as possible with 60 schools in 6A, 61 in 5A, 60 in 4A, 60 in 3A, 58 in 2A and 58 making up Class 1A.

The vote was unanimous. AHSAA officials debated the decision during a four-hour work session on Tuesday night. This change will be for all sports.

In Class 7A, there's a nine-team region for the Mobile area. A seven-team region will be made up of schools from the Auburn-Opelika areas and Montgomery.

There will be two eight-team regions in the North. A Birmingham-based region makes up Class 7A, Region 3. Gadsden City joins a Huntsville-heavy Class 7A, Region 4.

The new Class 7A begins with Hoover and its grades 10-12 enrollment of 1,978 students for classification purposes. James Clemens is the smallest school in the new super class with 1,008 students.

“The seven-classification system will allow more student-athletes to participate in championship events and more will experience first-hand what it means to play in some of the best venues in our state,” Central Board President Lamar Brooks said in a press release distributed by the AHSAA. “With the addition of an extra championship game, revenues should increase which will mean much-needed additional money for all schools through the AHSAA revenue sharing program.”

Austin becomes the largest school in the new Class 6A with 1,002 students. Shades Valley is the second-largest Class 6A program with 997 students. That 60-school class stretches all the way to Carroll with its 579 students.

Sidney Lanier is the largest Class 5A school with 569 students. Lincoln is the smallest Class 5A program with 378 students. Headland, with its 377 students, is the largest Class 4A, is a region that stretches down to W.S. Neal at 285 students.

Madison Academy, the reigning two-time football state champion, is the largest Class 3A school with its enrollment count of 284 students. Colbert Heights is the smallest in that class with its 210 students.

Class 2A stretches from Flomaton at 209 students to Tharptown at 144. The largest school in Class 1A, Billingsley has 144 students compared to the smallest school at 34. John Essex remains the smallest school in the AHSAA that fields a football team.

The AHSAA also released its area alignment structure for baseball, basketball, softball and volleyball

Park Crossing, a new AHSAA school in Montgomery, joins Class 6A. New Shelby County school Helena joins the AHSAA in Class 5A with an estimated 562 students. Chickasaw, a new school in Class 1A, was classified with 109 students.

This is the first major classification change the AHSAA has adopted since 1984, when the governing body switched four classes to six. There has been a movement to create a so-called Super Class, the moniker given to grouping the state’s largest schools together, since Steve Savarese took over as AHSAA executive director six years ago, but this is the first time the plan has garnered enough statewide support to act.

The new seven-classification football alignment places the 32 largest high schools in the new Class 7A. The remaining six classes were divided as equally as possible with 60 schools in 6A, 61 in 5A, 60 in 4A, 60 in 3A, 58 in 2A and 58 making up Class 1A.

A total of 23 schools currently do not participate in football championship play and will placed in the re-classification system based on their reported enrollment numbers.       

“I want to thank the AHSAA staff and Central Board for the hard work they put in to develop the re-classification plan that was approved,” AHSAA Executive Director Steve Savarese said. “It was a difficult job, but everyone worked together to find the best solution as we move forward.”

Savarese stated in an AHSAA press release that the seven-class system allows the AHSAA to group schools more closely in enrollment, also reduces the need for nine-team regions in football and has created fewer five-team areas in sports like basketball, volleyball, baseball and softball.

“It also will allow more schools to make the state playoffs and will crown more state champions than at any other time in the history of our organization.”

The Central Board also voted to allow football teams 11 weeks to schedule 10 games. Schools may elect to play a non-region contest the week of Aug. 21-22-23 and then have 10 weeks to play the remaining nine regular-season games.

Schools can still agree to play a non-counting jamboree or regulation game that first week but would then have the remaining 10 weeks to schedule the maximum 10 regular-season contests. This format will give schools more flexibility to schedule non-region games.

The AHSAA adopts a biennial reclassification, which means some schools move up in classification and others move down. Until  now, the AHSAA has always placed a similar number of schools – usually about 64 – in each of the six classifications.

AHSAA officials have scheduled a 1 p.m. news conference to explain this year’s reclassification. AL.com planned to carry a livestream of that event but the AHSAA prevented that opportunity on the basis that it is a championship event.

Are you in favor of AHSAA adding a seventh classification?  An AL.com poll that went up on Tuesday explored what readers felt about the AHSAA adding another class saw that 70% of 962 voters were in favor of the AHSAA adding an additional

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
Re: 7A
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2014, 03:24:48 PM »
The 7A bham region is nasty.

Opelika is the winner here. And daphne maybe.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

noxin

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2014, 03:25:48 PM »
Finally UAB may be able to compete
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2014, 03:30:46 PM »
Here's the 7A regions

Region 1: Alma Bryant, Baker, Davidson, Fairhope, Foley, Mary Montgomery, McGill-Toolen, Murphy, Theodore.

Region 2: Auburn, Central-Phenix City, Enterprise, Jeff Davis, Lee-Montgomery, Prattville, Smiths Station.

Region 3: Hewitt-Trussville, Hoover, Mountain Brook, Oak Mountain, Spain Park, Thompson, Tuscaloosa Co., Vestavia Hills

Region 4: Bob Jones, Buckhorn, Gadsden City, Grissom, Hazel Green, Huntsville, James Clemens, Sparkman.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2014, 03:35:33 PM »
They left a lot of strong teams in 6A.

The Mobile 7A looks nasty too.

The Huntsville region looks a bit weak.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

GH2001

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2014, 03:38:08 PM »
They left a lot of strong teams in 6A.

The Mobile 7A looks nasty too.

The Huntsville region looks a bit weak.

Yes. Opelika should have a good time in 6A.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2014, 03:43:09 PM »
Region 3: Hewitt-Trussville, Hoover, Mountain Brook, Oak Mountain, Spain Park, Thompson, Tuscaloosa Co., Vestavia Hills

Holy shit...my Huskies just got ear fucked
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Tiger Wench

• Does this armour make my ass look big?
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2014, 04:26:02 PM »
Finally UAB may be able to compete

Props.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2014, 04:31:12 PM »
Here's the 7A regions

Region 1: Alma Bryant, Baker, Davidson, Fairhope, Foley, Mary Montgomery, McGill-Toolen, Murphy, Theodore.

Region 2: Auburn, Central-Phenix City, Enterprise, Jeff Davis, Lee-Montgomery, Prattville, Smiths Station.

Region 4: Bob Jones, Buckhorn, Gadsden City, Grissom, Hazel Green, Huntsville, James Clemens, Sparkman.
So, Prattville beats Auburn (High School) and wins their division.  Got it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2014, 04:35:18 PM »

What's your point? I like it!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2014, 04:47:39 PM »

That really does sum it up.  I keep waiting for Enterprise to get their collective shit together but they never seem to.  They have no competition for kids in their area and after the tornado a few years ago that killed a bunch of folks and wiped out the school, they built some state of the art facilities, including a bad ass stadium.  E'prise used to be a traditional state power but have been the definition of average for the last 10-15 years.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Ogre

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2014, 04:52:46 PM »
That really does sum it up.  I keep waiting for Enterprise to get their collective shoot together but they never seem to.  They have no competition for kids in their area and after the tornado a few years ago that killed a bunch of folks and wiped out the school, they built some state of the art facilities, including a bad ass stadium.  E'prise used to be a traditional state power but have been the definition of average for the last 10-15 years.

They just don't have the athletes to compete.  It's that simple.  They'll have one or two good to great ones come through every couple of years but they don't have the horses to compete against the other top-tier schools in the state.  Let's face it, the city of Enterprise isn't a huge draw for anyone other than military families (thanks Fort Rucker!). 

You're spot on about their facilities and stadium. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2014, 04:58:38 PM »
They just don't have the athletes to compete.  It's that simple.  They'll have one or two good to great ones come through every couple of years but they don't have the horses to compete against the other top-tier schools in the state.  Let's face it, the city of Enterprise isn't a huge draw for anyone other than military families (thanks Fort Rucker!). 

You're spot on about their facilities and stadium.

Corch Bacon had them at that level and they have no competition for kids outside of Dothan and well, Daleville.  Even I recall the days when they would run 100 kids out on the field, big sumbitches too.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2014, 05:23:41 PM »
Man I remember the good ole days...

back in the 15th Century when HS football was invented... by Opium-addictive Chinamen. But back then, the Chinamen threw severed heads at each other, instead of the A.D.A.A.-approved balls we use today.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2014, 05:51:15 PM »

Don't be sleeping on Auburn High.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

GH2001

« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2014, 08:39:10 PM »

I know of at least 2 teams in that region that have state titles in the last 20 years. Auburn isn't one of them.

Bridesmaids.

Plus they got embarrassed by Smiths last year. Thats not good. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2014, 06:41:05 AM »
Man I remember the good ole days...

back in the 15th Century when HS football was invented... by Opium-addictive Chinamen. But back then, the Chinamen threw severed heads at each other, instead of the A.D.A.A.-approved balls we use today.

Effin A Cotton.  Effin A.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2014, 11:08:54 AM »

I see what you did there.   :haha:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2014, 11:49:28 AM »
I see what you did there.   :haha:

Thanks for noticin. I thought subtle hustle was gonna slip on by.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

Pell City Tiger

• Moral Highlander
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2014, 08:31:16 PM »
Yes. Opelika should have a good time in 6A.
They wound up in Pell City's region. If we can keep our coaching staff from sexting the jailbait, we might give them a good game.

Buzz, I can't believe they left Clay-Chalkville out of 7A.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I stood up, unzipped my pants, lowered my shorts and placed my bare ass on the window. That's the last thing I wanted those people to see of me."