Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

W F'ing Va - This could be encouraging

W F'ing Va - This could be encouraging
« on: August 15, 2008, 10:22:43 AM »
SMQ posted this the other day

Pat White to Receiver?
There was already some talk of limiting Pat White's role in the running game, given his history of injuries and West Virginia's subsequent struggles when he's not in the lineup -- see: losses to South Florida and Pittsburgh last year, a narrow overtime win over Rutgers in '06 -- but the Leader's College Football Live reported a few minutes ago that the Mountaineers were working White in part-time as a wide receiver. O rly? Aside from the realistic long-term goals of their two teams, White at wide out would be reminiscent of Antwaan Randle El's switch from dynamic quarterback to raw receiver to help his draft prospects at Indiana: he's obviously a weapon there, will probably play receiver in the pros, and anyway, let's see...backup quarterback Jarrett Brown has "a strong arm"?

The difference: Randle El's team didn't even harbor realistic bowl hopes, much less visions of mythical championships following a momentum-building Fiesta Bowl beatdown. Brown, besides not being possibly the most feared player in school history, also has a tendency in very limited action to commit turnovers: he had two ugly interceptions and lost a pair of fumbles in last year's loss in Tampa that killed potential scoring drives. White's ability to run and pass -- but especially to run -- has been the focal point of the highest-scoring non-WAC offense in the country over the last two-and-a-half years. But we're sure the coaches know what's best here. Even Desmond Howard thought the idea of White anywhere but in the shotgun "raises a red flag," but that's why Bill Stewart's getting paid the, uh, the big bucks. Right?

:blink:

Well, I guess it couldn't hurt to have WFV castrate themselves with a move like this in the same year we play them. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Ogre

Re: W F'ing Va - This could be encouraging
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2008, 05:50:35 PM »
If that were to happen, I would feel a lot better going in to that game. 

That would be a huge gamble for the new coach to make, though.  Although I'm keeping my fingers crossed, I don't think that'll happen.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2008, 07:51:40 PM »
I'm honestly more afraid of their backup QB. 

I think Pat White is dangerous with his legs and a great leader on that team, but their backup has a freakin' cannon.  If he can take hold of the offense with Pat White still making plays, it might be a better move.

We'd still punch them in the nuts, but I can see the benefit of putting Pat White at another position. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2008, 11:40:46 PM »
If that were to happen, I would feel a lot better going in to that game. 

That would be a huge gamble for the new coach to make, though.  Although I'm keeping my fingers crossed, I don't think that'll happen.
If White doesn't run Wvu will lose.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2008, 11:39:28 AM »
I just hope they don't try it before us. I want us to knock a top 5 team out by the time we play them.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions