Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Sorry Vandy

Vandy Vol

• Bitches ain't shit but hos and tricks.
Re: Sorry Vandy
« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2014, 02:27:54 PM »
Vandy might have to do something quick. James Franklin has a charter bus that he's filling up with current Vandy commits and bringing them, or trying to bring them, to Penn State. Vandy's 20 commits, at this time, less than a handful are considered solid verbal...the others are looking, some of them have a new PSU offer. Remember what that Coach Franklin stated when he got to Vanderbilt? Players without honor and integrity are the ones that've decomitted from his new Vanderbilt (Nevermind the fact that he'd gotten a couple players from other schools to decommit and commit to Vanderbilt).
Sounds to me like I was right about Coach James Franklin. He's a piece of shit, used car salesman, snake in the grass type coach. Vandy will be thanking their lucky stars that he left when he did, the NCAA will catch on to him, maybe while he's at PSU.

David Williams will make a move when it's appropriate, and only when he is sure that he is making the right hire.  I'd much rather lose one recruiting class than hire the next Kiffin/Chizik/Weis/O'Leary as a head coach.  And while I agree that Franklin's pursuit of Vandy's recruiting class is shitty, it's not against any rules unfortunately.

Nonetheless, I still fail to see why you've repeatedly surmised that Franklin was cheating, other than haughtily assuming that Vandy could never recruit a top 25 class without cheating.  No previous investigations, no current investigations, no previous allegations made by any players or schools, no current allegations made by any players or schools, and a stand-up AD who's on the NCAA's infractions appeal committee...I just don't see it.  If you can conclude he's guilty based off of absolutely nothing, then Cam Newton should probably be in federal pound-me-in-the-ass prison right now.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." - Dean Martin

ssgaufan

• WDE!!!
« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2014, 02:34:46 PM »
David Williams will make a move when it's appropriate, and only when he is sure that he is making the right hire.  I'd much rather lose one recruiting class than hire the next Kiffin/Chizik/Weis/O'Leary as a head coach.  And while I agree that Franklin's pursuit of Vandy's recruiting class is shitty, it's not against any rules unfortunately.

Nonetheless, I still fail to see why you've repeatedly surmised that Franklin was cheating, other than haughtily assuming that Vandy could never recruit a top 25 class without cheating.  No previous investigations, no current investigations, no previous allegations made by any players or schools, no current allegations made by any players or schools, and a stand-up AD who's on the NCAA's infractions appeal committee...I just don't see it.  If you can conclude he's guilty based off of absolutely nothing, then Cam Newton should probably be in federal pound-me-in-the-ass prison right now.

Please leave Cam out of your sick fantasies.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2014, 02:38:02 PM »
Coaches at this level need to have a PR person in their ear 24/7.  Don't come into a job saying it's your "dream job", acting like this is where you've wanted to be all along. 

"This is a great university and I'm appreciative of the opportunity". 

That's it.  End of story.  Franklin has been getting skewered by the Nashville press and deservedly so after everything he's said about Vandy as the be-all, end-all coaching job.   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Vandy Vol

« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2014, 02:43:32 PM »
Please leave Cam out of your sick fantasies.

If he'd stop being so metrosexually borderline gay, I wouldn't have sick fantasies about him.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." - Dean Martin

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2014, 03:47:50 PM »
O'Leary as a head coach. 

??? as in George?

He and his BCS win are laughing at Vanderbilt right now.  No offense but, let's not get crazy and forget you are still Vanderbilt.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #45 on: January 14, 2014, 03:55:27 PM »
??? as in George?

He and his BCS win are laughing at Vanderbilt right now.  No offense but, let's not get crazy and forget you are still Vanderbilt.

Mark.  One got left.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Vandy Vol

« Reply #46 on: January 14, 2014, 04:54:10 PM »
??? as in George?

Yes, George O'Leary.  It was moreso a reference to his 2001 hire at Notre Dame.  You know, that time when he was pretty much immediately fired for lying about his educational and football experience?

And George O'Leary can laugh from the American Athletic Conference all he wants.  Put him in pretty much any other conference (and especially the SEC), and he doesn't make any bowl, much less a BCS bowl.  If you really think that he has room to laugh due to his 12-1 record in a cupcake conference, not to mention the fact that he has a shitty season with UCF almost every other year despite being in a cupcake conference, then you might have gone cray cray in your old age.  A BCS bowl does not a good head coach make...

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #47 on: January 14, 2014, 05:08:35 PM »
Yes, George O'Leary.  It was moreso a reference to his 2001 hire at Notre Dame.  You know, that time when he was pretty much immediately fired for lying about his educational and football experience?

And George O'Leary can laugh from the American Athletic Conference all he wants.  Put him in pretty much any other conference (and especially the SEC), and he doesn't make any bowl, much less a BCS bowl.  If you really think that he has room to laugh due to his 12-1 record in a cupcake conference, not to mention the fact that he has a shitty season with UCF almost every other year despite being in a cupcake conference, then you might have gone cray cray in your old age.  A BCS bowl does not a good head coach make...

That is all well and good. He has still taken a UCF team that was consistently bad and got them to a BCS game and won. 

Remind be when Vandy made it to a BCS game?

At the end of the day the fact still remains that you are Vanderbilt.  Vandy just had two 9 win seasons and back to back bowl wins, when has that ever happened in the history of the school.  Hint...it hasn't.  The man that just left has taken your team to 3 consecutive bowl games.  In the history of Vandy football you have 6 TOTAL!!! That's 6 total bowl games.

I get that you are upset that Franklin left, I would be too.  I just find it somewhat laughable you were dogging the man a few threads back. I wouldn't be so quick to thumb my nose at the likes of an O'leary.  You better hope that David Williams is as good as you think.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 05:26:26 PM by Godfather »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Vandy Vol

« Reply #48 on: January 14, 2014, 05:39:40 PM »
That is all well and good. He has still taken a UCF team that was consistently bad and got them to a BCS game and won.

Was consistently bad?  They still are.  Looking at previous seasons, this 12-1 season is an anomaly.  They have a losing season, a couple of 8-4/5 winning seasons, another losing season, one winning season, a losing season, etc.  O'Leary is not showing that he's a good coach who is consistently improving the team; he's just having sporadic success in a shitty conference.   Connecticut also went to a BCS bowl once, but that doesn't make Edsall a high profile coach that should be considered for an SEC HC position.

The SEC is a completely different animal from the AAC.  Put Vandy in the AAC and UCF in the SEC.  I honestly don't see how you could argue that O'Leary would have the same success, and thus deserves a position in the SEC.

I get that you are upset that Franklin left, I would be too.  I just find it somewhat laughable you were dogging the man a few threads back. I wouldn't be so quick to thumb my nose at the likes of an O'leary.  You better hope that David Williams is as good as you think.

I appreciate what Franklin has done, but at the same time, he lied.  Call it coach speak or whatever term you want to in order to put it a spin on it, but he lied.  Like Snags said, he spoke of Vandy and the challenge that came with Vandy as if it were a dream job for him.  Then he drags us along for the better part of a week before leaving.  There's nothing laughable about respecting what he did while he was here yet also recognizing that what he previously said was, in light of recent actions, a lie.

Maybe you've got some sort of weird fetish for O'Leary, but he's not a good coach in my opinion.  Not horrible, but not good.  There's a reason why he was once considered as being on the rise but then was relegated to UCF; no one's been scrambling to get him for years.  I'm not under the illusion that Vandy is suddenly a powerhouse, but I do know that we deserve better and can get better than O'Leary, a coach that's had his own past issues with lying and an inability to build a consistent football program in the AAC.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 05:44:01 PM by Vandy Vol »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Vandy Vol

« Reply #49 on: January 14, 2014, 05:58:34 PM »
Despite all of the above, my primary reason for mentioning O'Leary was due to the fact that he is frequently referenced as one of the worst coaching hires ever due to his one week Notre Dame stint.  That was the basic sentiment that I was trying to relay:  We don't want a dud hire, and so David Williams is not going to rush himself into a bad decision.  That is perfectly fine by me, regardless of what effect that has on this year's recruiting class.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

DnATL

• Xcrement talker
« Reply #50 on: January 14, 2014, 06:09:32 PM »
Does this count?

BBVA CompasS Bowl
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Vandy Vol

« Reply #51 on: January 14, 2014, 06:13:47 PM »
Does this count?

BBVA CompasS Bowl

Because of the way that they had the logo painted onto the stadium seating, it looked like it was the "BBVA Compiss Bowl."  Which would have been more accurate.  I wish I had gotten a picture of that.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #52 on: January 14, 2014, 10:09:28 PM »
Does this count?

BBVA CompasS Bowl
That's about as close as Vandy will get...unless they hire another HC who doesn't mind cheating, then they might be able to get back to the Bbva CompasS Bowl.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #53 on: January 14, 2014, 11:27:48 PM »
The idea that anyone could believe a coach like Franklin when he called Vandy his "destination" job makes me question their capacity for reason.

There are 80+ D1 jobs better than Vandy. Better facilities, better support, better foundation, better profile.

Would never be able to compete consistently with UF, UGA, SC, Mizzou.

At Penn State he has a chance to revive a traditional power against pretty weak competition. Three years from now at Vandy and he's third or fourth in the East still. Three years from now at PSU and he could be fighting for a national championship.

No disrespect to Vandy but it's laughable for you to be upset that he "lied" when he said he wanted to be there forever.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

Vandy Vol

« Reply #54 on: January 15, 2014, 10:43:49 AM »
The idea that anyone could believe a coach like Franklin when he called Vandy his "destination" job makes me question their capacity for reason.

There are 80+ D1 jobs better than Vandy. Better facilities, better support, better foundation, better profile.

Would never be able to compete consistently with UF, UGA, SC, Mizzou.

At Penn State he has a chance to revive a traditional power against pretty weak competition. Three years from now at Vandy and he's third or fourth in the East still. Three years from now at PSU and he could be fighting for a national championship.

No disrespect to Vandy but it's laughable for you to be upset that he "lied" when he said he wanted to be there forever.

You're looking at Vandy for what it is, and not what it can be.  They have the money to build the facilities, they've just never had an AD who was willing and able to get the money for athletics; now they do.  No one's saying it's going to happen overnight, but your capacity for reasoning is a bit limited if you don't think that a football program can be built over time with financial support and the right personnel.

Other coaches have paid attention to the fact that you can recruit and win at Vandy.  It's not impossible, and it's not impossible to do consistently.  If that were the case, then coaches that turned us down three years ago would not be contacting us for an interview now.

It has to happen a step at a time, but it can happen.  Upward mobility in college football is a possibility...just ask Oregon, Oklahoma State, California, Florida, Northwestern, etc.  You don't need a record of historical success in order to have success in the future.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUownsU

• Hold my beer.
« Reply #55 on: January 15, 2014, 11:18:19 AM »
Say what you want about their conference but UCF did beat Penn State, Louisville, Baylor, and lost to USC by 3. Those 4 teams went a combined 41-10 and were legit teams. Thats pretty good coaching for a program not that far removed from C-USA. Also add if the Big 12 commish had any sense at all he would have his ass down in Orlando and expand his conferences footprint to the state of Florida.

Great thing Vandy has going for it right now is Franklin proved you can be somewhat successful there. Hell if they could've beaten Ole Miss in the opener they would've been 3rd in the East and won 10 games this year. However can success be sustained? We'll see. No denying the next hire is huge for them though. Fuck it up and its back to fighting UK to stay out of the basement in the East. Hit a homerun again and maybe they can make a bit of a run like USC has had the past few seasons. With UT, UF, and UGA being in the current shape they are in, a combined 17-20 this season, the opportunity is there.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Vandy Vol

« Reply #56 on: January 15, 2014, 11:31:25 AM »
Say what you want about their conference but UCF did beat Penn State, Louisville, Baylor, and lost to USC by 3. Those 4 teams went a combined 41-10 and were legit teams. Thats pretty good coaching for a program not that far removed from C-USA. Also add if the Big 12 commish had any sense at all he would have his ass down in Orlando and expand his conferences footprint to the state of Florida.

Again, I'm not saying O'Leary is a horrible coach, but he's just not SEC material.  If UCF were consistently playing well against those teams and others, then I'd give him more credit.  But in the 10 seasons he's been there, he's put up a .563 record, and his winning seasons are in between losing seasons.  To state that he's turned UCF around is inaccurate in my opinion, as UCF had an overall winning percentage of .526 before O'Leary.  Any improvements that have been seen during his tenure were followed by failure, then success, then failure...it's just not consistent enough to state that he's turned them around and that he could also turn around an SEC team like Vandy.  If you can't create consistent success in the AAC, I don't see how you could do it in the SEC.

Great thing Vandy has going for it right now is Franklin proved you can be somewhat successful there. Hell if they could've beaten Ole Miss in the opener they would've been 3rd in the East and won 10 games this year. However can success be sustained? We'll see. No denying the next hire is huge for them though. Fuck it up and its back to fighting UK to stay out of the basement in the East. Hit a homerun again and maybe they can make a bit of a run like USC has had the past few seasons. With UT, UF, and UGA being in the current shape they are in, a combined 17-20 this season, the opportunity is there.

I know it won't be an easy road, and I'm not saying that it's inevitably going to happen, but yes, I think success can be maintained at Vanderbilt.  It will take the right decisions, the right personnel, and money, but it can be done.  It's not like we're a broke school in the middle of no where that recruits wouldn't even possibly consider.  The groundwork is there for building a successful program, someone's just got to build it and stop assuming that it can't be done because "they're still Vandy."
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 11:36:23 AM by Vandy Vol »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #57 on: January 15, 2014, 11:43:23 AM »
Longest Vanderbilt football thread....EVAH!!!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Vandy Vol

« Reply #58 on: January 15, 2014, 11:46:02 AM »
Longest Vanderbilt football thread....EVAH!!!

See?  We can maintain something, even if it's not success.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

ssgaufan

• WDE!!!
« Reply #59 on: January 15, 2014, 11:49:24 AM »
See?  We can maintain something, even if it's not success.

Vandy has some fine azz women.  I got the punch to the arm from my wife when we went up there to watch AU play, but hell I couldn't help myself.  Everywhere I looked there were fine ass (and smart) Vandy co-eds.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions