Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Tre Mason's 'goofy' personality, Nick Marshall's presence set tone

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
NEWPORT BEACH, California -- Every once in a while, Nick Marshall has to rein in the other half of the dynamic duo that makes up Auburn's backfield this season.

The rest of the time, Tre Mason's personality is exactly what this Auburn offense needs.

A fun-loving, playful personality, Mason's wide smile and easy-going manner set the tone for the Tigers' offense off the field, keeping the team loose.

"I just think, personality-wise, we're all goofy," Mason said. "We all love to play around, we all love to have fun."

A large gaggle of reporters got a glimpse into that camaraderie at Thursday morning's press conference previewing the BCS Championship Game.

Tight end C.J. Uzomah -- one of Mason's best friends on the team -- tossed a barb in the direction of the height-challenged running back, generously listed by Auburn at 5-foot-10.

Despite Mason's emergence into the national spotlight this season, the junior still takes some good-natured ribbing from his teammates for being, as Uzomah termed it, "a small fry."

Mason shot right back.

"They always make fun of me about being short, so I tell them anybody over 6'3" or 6'4" is goofy," Mason said. "It's true. All you guys are goofy. C.J. is, along with them."

The offensive line has its own bunch of characters.

Big left tackle Greg Robinson is apparently one of the ring leaders.

Quiet and soft-spoken in interviews, Robinson opens up among his teammates, bringing the wild-card personality that every team needs.

"Greg is the kind of crazy, like wild guy that should be in like a mental institution or something because you never know what he's going to do," Auburn fullback Jay Prosch said.  "And it's always going to be dangerous because of his size."

Throw in the quirky, intelligent personality of left guard Alex Kozan -- according to Prosch -- and it's a good group on the offensive line, helping to keep people loose.

Mason's personality has its other advantages.

Always outgoing, Mason was one of the first players to help Marshall feel at home after his transfer during the offseason, going to the movies with the quarterback, taking him on in bowling and cutting it up.

"He's a nice guy, nice friend to have to be off the field with," Marshall said. "It's nice to have someone like that on your side. Through summer camp and when we moved into the dorms everyone became close together."

All of that off-the-field chemistry matters when Auburn's offense needs a score late in the game. From quarterback all the way out to the wide receivers, the Tigers are a close-knit group.

And when it's time to be serious -- once the pads are on -- Marshall, a quiet, calm presence, and vocal team leader Reese Dismukes make sure the offense stays on task.

Whatever it is, the makeup's working for the nation's top-ranked rushing offense and one of the nation's top-10 offenses.

"(Mason)'s goofy on the field sometimes and you have to tell him to get back in game mode. That's just something we do," Marshall said. "When it's time to lock in, we both lock in and do our jobs."
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."