Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Roku and Playon

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
Roku and Playon
« on: December 19, 2013, 01:03:56 PM »
I am too damn lazy to do a search, but does anyone use these?

I am thinking about dropping satellite.  I can Netflix, Hulu and do the HD antenna for all the local channels.  I can also do the Watch ESPN app for ballgames.  The only thing is Hulu and Netflix are really limited in what they have as far as Disney shows for the kids.  Losing the DVR would suck a bit, but once again, the shows on Netflix and Hulu are there anytime I want to watch them. 

From what I have read the Playon has to use my PC which is fine, but I really don't want to mess with going through a PC and would rather do everything from my PlayStation or something like the Roku, but the Roku is limited on channels such as History/Discovery/Military...etc...etc...etc, but Playon has those channels but I am not for sure if they are limited in what shows they offer from those channels. 

Still doing a little more research, but haven't dove too deep into it yet. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
Re: Roku and Playon
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2013, 01:11:41 PM »
AppleTV
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2013, 01:26:30 PM »
AppleTV

Looking into it and Chromecast as well.  The only problem that I have with Apple TV compared to Roku is the number of Channels, but being an Apple product, I can get all the Disney Channels Disney, Disney XD, Disney Junior) with the Apple TV, where as the Roku only has Disney Kids.  Neither have the History/Discovey style channels that I know of.  Which isn't so bad as long as you subscribe to Hulu.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2013, 03:07:23 PM »
I'm a rabbit ears man myself. But am considering putting an antenna on the basketball goal and maybe taking the backboard off. We don't use it much except to shoot horse on Thanksgiving and such.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2013, 06:25:59 PM »
i have 2 rokus - both wireless. But kind of wish I had gotten the Apple TV. Thought about getting one anyway and giving one of the rokus to the kids. I do like the Roku though. It doesn't need to boot up, takes very little time to load apps, never freezes up and has a very simplistic design much like an apple product. Chromecast is good if you're gonna stream stuff from your phone or tablet to your tv and roku has tons of apps. Apple TV is the best of both worlds it seems. Only thing is, Apple TV is 85-90 bucks, whereas you can pick up a new roku 2 for 40 bucks.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2013, 06:58:39 PM »
I have read a lot of good things about the Roku3, but I pulled the trigger on AppleTV on teh non-Caucasian Friday sales.  I love it so far.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

GH2001

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2013, 09:00:14 PM »
I have read a lot of good things about the Roku3, but I pulled the trigger on AppleTV on teh non-Caucasian Friday sales.  I love it so far.

how much?

If I saw one for 75 or under somewhere id probably pull the trigger as well. Just not gonna pay 90 though.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2013, 10:08:41 PM »
how much?

If I saw one for 75 or under somewhere id probably pull the trigger as well. Just not gonna pay 90 though.

I actually found it for $84.99.  The Roku 3 is still $99 though. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

GH2001

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2013, 11:11:43 PM »
I actually found it for $84.99.  The Roku 3 is still $99 though.

I have roku hd 2's ...found them for 39.99 from some ebay seller, new. Have yet to see them for that again though.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2013, 04:34:30 PM »
With the Watch ESPN app on both products, do I still have a cable/satellite subscription or will just an internet service work?  If all I need is internet and no cable/satellite subscription then I will probably go with the Roku3.  More apps for it from what I've read. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions