Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Guess Who Made The Cover of Forbes?

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
Guess Who Made The Cover of Forbes?
« on: August 14, 2008, 10:25:39 AM »
http://www.forbes.com/forbes/2008/0901/092.html
This looks like a fark, but it is the actual cover.

On The Cover/Top Stories
The Most Powerful Coach in Sports
Monte Burke 08.07.08, 6:00 PM ET
Forbes issue date 09.01.08

Coach Nick Saban

The Most Powerful Coach in Sports

College football has long been a big business. But the money and control Alabama gave Nick Saban raised the stakes to an unprecedented level. Is he worth it?

On New Year's Day in 2007 Mal Moore, the athletic director at the University of Alabama, boarded a private plane bound for Miami. A little over a month earlier the university had fired Mike Shula, its fourth football coach in eight mediocre years. The pursuit of a new coach to that point had been bungled badly--the once proud program was reportedly turned down by Steve Spurrier, from South Carolina, and Rich Rodriguez, at the time the coach at West Virginia. Moore was on his way to Miami to try to woo Nick Saban, then the coach of the NFL's Dolphins. It was all-or-nothing, with no real backup plan. "I told the pilots when they dropped me off in Miami that if I didn't come back to this plane with Nick Saban, they should just go on and take me to Cuba," Moore says.

Saban, a onetime head coach at Louisiana State, fretted over the decision to leave Miami for two restless days, then took the job and flew with Moore back to Tuscaloosa--and into a national media outcry in which he was called a "weasel," a "loser" and "Nick Satan" for leaving Miami after publicly denying interest in the Alabama job.

But in Tuscaloosa, which was desperate to return to national football prominence, Saban, 56, was a savior, welcomed with an open wallet. Saban, with his agent, James E. Sexton II, negotiated an eight-year, $32 million contract that was, at the time, the highest salary ever paid to a college coach. It remains among the highest and is bigger than all but a handful of NFL coaching salaries. His deal includes, among other perks, 25 hours of private use of a university airplane, two cars and a country club membership, extras that make his annual compensation closer to $5 million a year, estimates Smith College economics professor Andrew Zimbalist. He can leave the school at any time without financial penalty, a rarity in big-time college coaching contracts.

What's more, he was given total control of the football program: recruiting, coaching, business administration and public relations. There are coaches at other universities who have similar salaries, like Charlie Weis at Notre Dame and Pete Carroll at the University of Southern California. But no coach, including those in the professional leagues, can match Saban's combination of money, control and influence. Saban, now entering his second year as the coach of the Alabama Crimson Tide, is the most powerful coach in sports.

Handing Saban the keys was a business decision. Bigger TV contracts and bowl game payouts helped push revenues for the Division 1-a colleges to $2 billion, up 25% in four years. Saban has already had an impact. At his first spring practice game 92,000 fans showed up. The waiting list for season tickets tripled after his arrival to 10,000. A stalled 10,000-seat stadium expansion now seems inevitable.

Alabama's football program had $54 million in revenue this past year and an estimated $32 million profit. The profit is used to pay off the athletic department's $130 million debt for capital improvements. Football finances 77% of the athletic department, bankrolling nonrevenue sports like swimming and softball. It also has kicked back millions of dollars to university academic programs.

But the economics of hiring Saban go well beyond athletics. The decidedly pro-football University of Alabama's president, Robert Witt, points to the school's recent $500 million capital campaign as an example. "We have had 100,000 donors in that campaign, and a major reason they support us is football," he says. It's no different at any other college with a football team. Why do Ivy League schools even bother to field teams that are never going to win a bowl game? It keeps the alumni money flowing. That's how you pay for the English department.

Witt says Saban's presence helps the school's academics by attracting strong applicants. In the 2007--08 year 57% of the students enrolled were in the top quarter of their high school class, up from 54% the year before. "Having a coach of his caliber makes it easier to recruit better students and raise more money," says Witt.

All of which may overcome resentment from professors (average salary at Alabama: $116,000) of Saban's contract. Witt can also argue that not a penny of Saban's salary comes from either students or taxpayers. It comes from athletic department revenue, which consists of broadcasting fees, ad sponsorships, donations from "boosters" (alums who give to football, not the university's general fund), ticket sales and shoe and apparel endorsements.

Saban ended his first year with a 7--6 record. But it takes a while for a coach to put his stamp on a team. Recruiting is where it all starts. In three of his five years at lsu, Saban had top-rated recruiting classes, meaning the 25 high school seniors drawn to a college by a football scholarship. His 2008 recruiting class at Alabama was the consensus number one in the country and included a prized high school receiver named Julio Jones from Foley, Ala.

When he visits a recruit, he says, "I tell them this is a 40-year decision, not a 4-year one." He stresses the importance of his players' being successful as people, as students and as athletes. Queen Marvin, the mother of Julio Jones, says: "He came in here and talked about education. That's what I want for my son. Football won't always be there."

Saban's actions even spurred a new NCAA (National Collegiate Athletic Association) recruiting rule. The sneeringly nicknamed "Saban Rule" was enacted to prohibit coaches from visiting high schools in the spring, something Saban had traditionally done. So he came up with a way around it. He used videoconferencing equipment to talk to recruits and coaches face-to-face via computer, a tactic within the NCAA rules. Saban views the NCAA in the way that a tax attorney sees the IRS. "You have to maximize your benefits," he says.

Once he gets a player in the program, Saban becomes a Big Brother. He instituted a summer weight-training program. There are penalty points for missed classes and practices. All players have to attend personal growth seminars taught by Seattle's Pacific Institute. Saban also brings in speakers, including police officers and a former member of a mob family to talk about gambling. "We're trying to create thoughts, habits and priorities," he says. The program hasn't been wholly successful on that front yet. Ten players have been arrested since he took over. (All but one of the players arrested were recruited by the former regime.)

Saban preaches about "control" to his players and staff. He's closed all but a few minutes of most Alabama practices, something no other coach there has done. He forbids his players to use the word "hot" during summer practices. While with the Dolphins, he turned down an invitation to dine with President Bush so as not to miss practice.

Saban has also set about to boost donations and spread the word about his team. One way is to bring together the traditionally balkanized Alabama football booster groups, the alums who raise money and act as ambassadors for the program. He's subjected two dozen or so of them to one-hour interviews to determine their worthiness. "I don't call him, he calls me," says Elliot Maisel, an Alabama booster and the chief executive of Gulf Distributing Holdings, a beer wholesaler in Mobile.

With Saban's wide territory comes the job of managing public relations. That hasn't gone so well. The bad press Saban received after leaving Miami continued in his first year at Alabama. He snapped at reporters after losses. He rudely compared the Louisiana-Monroe and Mississippi State losses during the season to Sept. 11 and Pearl Harbor. "I've had my share of issues since I left Miami," he says. "I feel responsible for being able to manage the public relations better." He personally authorizes all interviews with his players and assistant coaches. "You'd like to have one message with multiple voices," he says. "But it sure is easier to control with only one voice."

Saban grew up in the mining town of Monongah, W.Va., pumping gas and fixing flat tires at his father's gas station. He went to Kent State University, playing defensive back on the football team. "I figured I would run a car dealership, that it was better to sell cars than fix them up," he says.

When Saban graduated, Terry, his wife of now 36 years, still had a year to go. So Saban decided to stick around and took a job as a graduate assistant on the football team in 1973. Over the next 17 years he had a succession of assistant coaching jobs, most notably with Syracuse, West Virginia and Ohio State, and with the NFL's Houston Oilers. He left Houston in 1991 to become the defensive coordinator for the Cleveland Browns under head coach Bill Belichick, now of the New England Patriots. "Bill and I were a lot alike," says Saban. "We spent hours just talking about defensive strategies."

In 1995 he was hired as the head coach at Michigan State, where he turned around a team that had not had a winning season in the five years prior to his arrival. In 1999 he was hired by Louisiana State, where in five years he won two Southeastern Conference Championships and a national championship in 2003.

Wayne Huizenga, the owner of the Dolphins, came calling in 2005, and Saban took the head coaching job. But he became quickly disillusioned with pro ball. "You were almost penalized for success," he says. A good year meant lower draft picks and a more difficult schedule. "In the NFL you get one first-round draft pick if you're lucky," says Saban. "You couldn't really outwork anybody else. In college I could recruit ten players with first-round talent every year."

But the main difference had to do with control. In the NFL a coach has to contend with the owner, who is not likely to be a shy or unassuming person, and with a general manager, who makes player personnel decisions and holds the purse strings. In his second year with the Dolphins the team brought in two free-agent quarterbacks, Drew Brees and Dante Culpepper, both of whom were coming off injuries. Saban wanted Brees. The Dolphins medical staff cleared only Culpepper. Brees went on to win 11 games that year with the New Orleans Saints. Culpepper played only 4 games before succumbing to an injury. Saban compiled a two-year record of 15--17 with the Dolphins.

Enter Alabama, a football program that was steeped in a glorious past--under Paul (Bear) Bryant, who won six national championships--and a mediocre present, but with a fan base still as rabid as any in the country. "In the late 1950s and early 1960s, when Alabama was last in everything--education, highway funding, progress in civil rights--the one thing people could take pride in was the success of the Alabama football team," says Paul Finebaum, a radio host and newspaper columnist in Birmingham.

After Bryant retired in 1982, the team went mostly downhill. There were NCAA sanctions for recruiting violations (including three years of bans from lucrative bowl games), a coach accused of sexual harassment followed by one fired before even coaching a game, after an alleged trip to a strip club. Mike Shula, a former Alabama player and the son of a famous NFL coach, Don Shula, was canned after having only one winning season in four years.

Can Saban deliver? With his power comes the burden of immediate gratification. "We expect him to be successful," says Witt. Saban says he can't control the lofty expectations, but "I wouldn't want to coach anyplace where they didn't expect to win."
« Last Edit: August 14, 2008, 07:02:25 PM by AUChizad »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
Re: Guess Who Made The Cover of Forbes?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2008, 10:39:49 AM »
What's hilarious, is bammers look at this like it's great for them. Their reactions all resemble "See I told y'all ya get watcha pay for, and now FORBES is confirming that for you boogs." They completely fail to see how the rest of the world sees a college football coach on the cover of Forbes magazine is a NEGATIVE thing for their university. They fail to see how this is the pinnacle of slimey bottom-line obsessed money-grubbing executive prick, which Saban has already been stereotyped before this issue ran. Congrats for yet another accolade that does not translate in to results on the field, yet proves once again how much you have let this guy bend you over and drain you dry. All that money you threw at him can't get you ranked.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2008, 11:22:14 AM »
Gay.  The irony of it all is that Forbes is making fun of this situation.  He is powerful because the Bammers allowed him to sign one of the dumbest contracts in sports history.  Seriously, who leaves their asses so open by neglecting a buyout clause........................
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2008, 11:43:21 AM »
LOL at the results of the ESPN poll today.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/index

Guess which one state voted yes?

Please, do your part to change that.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Pell City Tiger

• Moral Highlander
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2008, 11:55:51 AM »
The Nay's have it 87% - 13% right now.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I stood up, unzipped my pants, lowered my shorts and placed my bare ass on the window. That's the last thing I wanted those people to see of me."

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2008, 12:15:57 PM »
Folks, if you hadn't posted the article, no Bammie would be able to see it.  Forbes is not in the same section of the magazine rack as Field & Stream, Popular Mechanic and Hot Biker Babe Monthly.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Thrilla

• I have a touch of the consumption
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2008, 02:32:36 PM »
LOL at the results of the ESPN poll today.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/index

Guess which one state voted yes?

Please, do your part to change that.

Interesting to see that 3 folks voted from North Dakota, and all 3 voted "no".  Which leads me to believe that even though some folks know nothing about football, they still know that Saban's a jackoff.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Pell City Tiger

• Moral Highlander
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2008, 02:42:40 PM »
Interesting to see that 3 folks voted from North Dakota, and all 3 voted "no".  Which leads me to believe that even though some folks know nothing about football, they still know that Saban's a jackoff.

All 7 voters in Alaska feel the same way.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I stood up, unzipped my pants, lowered my shorts and placed my bare ass on the window. That's the last thing I wanted those people to see of me."

JohnDeere

• Pledge
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2008, 03:33:24 PM »
"I ain't thinking they got this Four-bee magizine down at the Texaco. Where can I get a copy?"
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2008, 03:48:50 PM »
fuckingegomidget saban has a big old pumpkin head doesn't he? little tiny body and a big ol pumpkin head :stewie:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Peace, Love and God Bless Auburn!

Pell City Tiger

• Moral Highlander
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2008, 05:44:20 PM »
"I ain't thinking they got this Four-bee magizine down at the Texaco. Where can I get a copy?"
Hay bubba, check out the magerzeene rack at the wall mark. They got all kine-of books in thar. They's got tuh have that 'un.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2008, 11:22:01 AM »
Cowherd is talking about this right now. They are on commercial but he just said Mel Kiper just called in and wants to talk about the subject. He is calling the Forbes list completely ridiculous.

He also just said that Saban is not even the most powerful guy in the state of Alabama. He said, Tuberville right now is more powerful than Saban. (not saying that I agree, but that is what he said)
« Last Edit: August 15, 2008, 11:31:17 AM by War Eagle!!! »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Pell City Tiger

• Moral Highlander
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2008, 12:21:19 PM »
Check out Scarbinsky's take:
Forbes gives Alabama football coach Nick Saban too much power

Friday, August 15, 2008

Nick Saban is the most powerful coach in sports ... who's lost four of his last five games.

Saban is the most powerful coach in sports ... who's one game over .500 at his current job.

Saban is the most powerful coach in sports ... who hasn't had a winning regular season in three years.

That must be what Forbes magazine meant to say when it put Saban on the cover of its September issue and called him "sports' most powerful coach."

Period.

The more fitting headlines just wouldn't fit.

Surely, Forbes didn't mean to suggest that Saban is more powerful than Mike Krzyzewski. Coach K has won three national titles and didn't have to share any of them with Pete Carroll.

The Duke basketball coach is the absolute monarch of his program, but it's a title he earned rather than having it bestowed upon him, and his pull goes beyond his state, his conference and even his country.

USA basketball put him in charge of no less a task than restoring order to the universe by bringing back the gold medal with our Olympic team in Beijing .

Krzyzewski's so powerful, the NCAA has looked the other way at his national TV spots for the likes of American Express, which are nothing more than Duke recruiting commercials.

They wouldn't dare pass a Krzyzewski Rule.

And few people outside the IRS know exactly how much money Krzyzewski pulls down each year because Duke, as a private school, doesn't have to release his salary information.

But forget college sports. Saban may not even be the most powerful coach in his own coaching family.

His mentor, Bill Belichick, while leading the New England Patriots to four Super Bowls and winning three of them, has been above the law in the law-and-order NFL. He's thumbed his nose at the league's dress code, with those threadbare, thrift-store hoodies, and at the anti-spying regulations.

Roger Goodell did hit him with the largest fine of a coach in NFL history at $500,000, but the get-tough commish didn't bench him for a single game.

Even DJ Hall got suspended for a half.

Belichick's so big, literary heavyweight David Halberstam wrote his autobiography. Power is having your life story penned by an author who also profiled Robert Kennedy.

This is not to say that Saban isn't powerful. Alabama did give him the keys to the kingdom, but Alabama is the British Empire of college football.

It ain't what it used to be. Territories it once ruled, like Auburn and Mississippi State , have declared their independence with a vengeance.

As much sway as Saban has over his school's administrators, alums, boosters and fans, there's one group among his constituents that has yet to completely bow at his feet and kiss his LSU-BCS ring.

His players.

If Saban truly were the most powerful coach in all of sports, would he have to hire the Pacific Institute to brainwash, I mean, mentally condition his players with daily affirmations like, "I am a bad man"?

Wouldn't it be cheaper to bus down and watch Auburn practice? You know, to fully grasp the concept by the face mask.

That's power where it counts. Right in the mouth.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2008, 12:09:57 PM »
http://sports.espn.go.com/chat/sportsnation/poll/index

Check the top poll under the college football section of the polls page today.

Again, no love for bamers and the map looks just about the same. Single tear.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2008, 12:11:00 PM by AUChizad »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2008, 09:20:30 PM »
Not to be outdone, Tuberville was recently featured on the cover of a prestigious magazine!

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2008, 02:28:58 PM »
pretty choice!

http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080817/SPORTS0401/808170323/1002

JOSH MOON: 'Forbes' depiction of Saban not on the money

Column by Josh Moon • August 17, 2008

Memo to the photo department at Forbes magazine: You missed.

Don't get me wrong, the cover photo of Alabama head coach Nick Saban in the Sept. 1 edition of your magazine was perfectly fine. In fact, it will probably sell more copies than you ever dreamed.

But just because it sells doesn't mean it's the right cover.

I'm thinking something more fitting would have been Saban in a dark room, wearing an expensive tuxedo and holding a cat.

Because the story that explained why Saban is "The Most Powerful Coach in Sports" didn't exactly detail the traits one might normally associate with a successful football coach.

It was much less Vince Lombardi and far more Tony Soprano.

That's right, forget being the "Most Powerful Coach" in sports. Nick Saban is the Mob boss of the sports world.

And he's running the Alabama football program like an old school Mafia family.

Check this out from the Forbes story: One of the things Saban has done in his short time at UA is "bring together the traditionally balkanized Alabama football booster groups, the alums who raise money and act as ambassadors for the program. He's subjected two dozen or so of them to one-hour interviews to determine their worthiness. 'I don't call him, he calls me,' says Elliot Maisel, an Alabama booster and the chief executive of Gulf Distributing Holdings, a beer wholesaler in Mobile."

Now, let's break that down. Saban has an organized base of boosters (capos, if you will) scattered around the most important recruiting areas (territories) in the Southeast. Those two dozen or so boosters are responsible for organizing the other boosters and contributors (made men and wiseguys) to make sure everyone is on the same page and working in the right areas. In the meantime, the head guy (The Don) is at home (or the Bada Bing, depending on your taste in mob bosses) dreaming up ways to circumvent the NCAA (the Feds).

You can define that setup however you like, I'm calling it the Crimson Mafia.

The only difference I can see is that the envelopes stuffed with cash go out.

Now, don't get carried away. That was just a little joke. I'm not accusing anyone associated with the UA program of doing anything against the rules.

Truth be told, I think this is a genius setup. And one that proves again that Saban is worth the money he's making at Alabama.

The UA boosters have been the albatross around the neck of that program for far too long. Before Saban's arrival, they were all over the place, all of them demanding "inside info" on everything and meddling constantly. If they weren't harassing and distracting the coaches and players, they were throwing money around and attracting attention.

I guarantee you that some of the top people at UA would've paid $32 million just to get those people under control. Having a guy who is doing that and also might win an SEC or national title makes him a bargain.

Organizing a large group of wealthy, influential people is probably the best coaching move to be made. Think about how much influence those people can have if they're all on the same page and all know what the goals are.

We're not talking about a bunch of sleazy, back alley cons looking to bribe players and break rules. We're talking about business executives, CEOs, the guy running the local car dealership, the guy who owns the chain of convenience stores. They're people who are involved in their communities, have likely donated thousands to their favorite high school program, and they know pretty much every person in town, especially the high school coaches and top players.

It's those people, from one end of the state to the other, who are now motivated and organized. They know what they can do to help the program, and you can pretty well bet, as crazy as these people are about their Tide football, they're gonna do their part.

If you're an opposing coach, all of that makes the Crimson Mafia every bit as scary as the real Mafia.

At some point, of course, Saban will have to give his family members some return for their work by challenging for championships. Because the only way to keep this system working is if the boosters and fans Don't Stop Believing. Don't Stop.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."