Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

The stupidity of the system

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
The stupidity of the system
« on: December 01, 2013, 11:18:11 PM »
By beating Alabama, Auburn may have played its way out of a BCS bowl. 

Should the Tigers lose to Missouri in the SEC-CG, Mizzou would get the automatic bid to either the BCS National Championship or the Sugar Bowl.  The second BCS berth would go to Alabama by virtue of being a one-loss team, putting the Tide in either the Sugar or the Orange.

That's asinine.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
Re: The stupidity of the system
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2013, 12:15:18 AM »
By beating Alabama, Auburn may have played its way out of a BCS bowl. 

Should the Tigers lose to Missouri in the SEC-CG, Mizzou would get the automatic bid to either the BCS National Championship or the Sugar Bowl.  The second BCS berth would go to Alabama by virtue of being a one-loss team, putting the Tide in either the Sugar or the Orange.

That's asinine.
Which is why they should have fallen further than three fuckin spots. Mizzou should definitely be ahead of them, although I guess that's moot after next week.

I will lose my shit if they get ANOTHER National Title shot without winning their division. So I guess we have to pull for EITHER FSU OR Ohio State to lose, but not both.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2013, 01:09:52 AM »
Something else I'm tired of hearing today.

"it doesn't matter who they played, they're undefeated and you just can't leave out an undefeated team." 

Really?  Utah 2004 says eat a turd.  So does Auburn 2004.  The argument then was "well, they haven't played anybody" and "Auburn played Citadel!!"  Even though at the end of the season our schedule strength according to the NCAA was fifth and neither Okie or USC were in the top 20. 

What about now? Who has OSU played? Who has FSU played?  Is there a single team on their schedule that would challenge AU, Mizzou, SCar or Al?  I think not. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2013, 08:24:37 AM »
The scarier part of the system that's on its way is that Alabama would be clinched in the playoff right now.  By losing to us, they actually would have solidified their chance to play for an NC.

I mentioned this to someone else, and he said, "No.  They have to win their conference championship to get in."

But that's not true.  The committee only said they would take that into consideration.  With the cash cow that Alabama fans are and the tradition and pedigree and "My daddy said..." factor, there's no doubt in my mind the committee would put them in as a wild card team.

Alabama will be in the top four and most likely will move up to the top 3 if Ohio State or Auburn loses.  If both lose, there's a good chance they could be #2 as I don't believe Missouri's computer rankings would overtake Alabama if Alabama was ranked ahead of them in the human polls.  And before you say that the humans wouldn't allow Alabama back in and would just rank Missouri ahead of them, why would you believe that?  They didn't drop them lower than 4th.  They could have easily removed Alabama from the conversation but instead put them right in position to slip into the NC.

And that's another thing.  I'm skeptical.  Here come the black helicopters.  The media has been salivating over a Florida State-Alabama game.  They don't want Ohio State in there.  They sure as hell don't want Auburn or Missouri in there.  They're never going to prop up Michigan State, and we know how they feel about Oklahoma State. 

They want that match up they were expecting to get.  They want to see the two "NFL" teams go head to head.  They want to see Winston against Alabama's defense.  McCarron against State's secondary.  I think they put Alabama fourth because they know it's not too far fetched for Ohio State to lose to the one decent team they'll play all year or Auburn to lose to Missouri in a let down game against a really good team. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

The Six

• Leaning on a broken fence b/t past & present tense
    • My Linktree
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2013, 09:12:21 AM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I'm sick of following my dreams...I'm just going to ask them where they are going and hook up with 'em later." - Mitch Hedberg

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2013, 10:12:46 AM »

Welcome....To four weeks ago.
Come on in boys....The waters fine.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2013, 10:36:14 AM »
Welcome....To four weeks ago.
Come on in boys....The waters fine.

Want me to take him out back and kick the shit out of him?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2013, 10:40:15 AM »
Want me to take him out back and kick the shit out of him?

No matter how far out of first we are, it's cool. You know, it keeps us from getting shut out at our favorite hotels and restaurant-type places.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2013, 10:50:01 AM »
No matter how far out of first we are, it's cool. You know, it keeps us from getting shut out at our favorite hotels and restaurant-type places.

So, if you're looking for a little big league clout, apply for that little green home run hitter.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.