Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Crack: Legalize It!

Vandy Vol

• Bitches ain't shit but hos and tricks.
Crack: Legalize It!
« on: November 07, 2013, 09:47:53 AM »
Haven't we all wanted some crack from time to time?  Get that shit legal!

But for reals, interesting read from Forbes.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jacobsullum/2013/11/04/everything-youve-heard-about-crack-and-meth-is-wrong/

Growing familiarity with marijuana has been accompanied by growing support for legalization because people discovered through personal experience that the government was lying to them about the drug’s hazards. But it is easier to demonize less popular drugs such as crack cocaine and methamphetamine, which in the public mind are still linked, as marijuana once was, with addiction, madness, and violence. Any attempt to question the use of force in dealing with these drugs therefore must begin by separating reality from horror stories.

That is where Carl Hart comes in. Hart, a neuropsychopharmacologist at Columbia who grew up in one of Miami’s rougher neighborhoods, has done bold, path-breaking research that challenges widely accepted beliefs about crack and meth. In his inspiring and fascinating new memoir High Price, he describes both how he overcame his early disadvantages to secure a tenured position at an Ivy League university and how he came to question everything he thought he knew about drugs as he learned to think critically about the issue.

Before he became a scientist, Hart believed that people who use crack generally get hooked on it and thereby lose control of their behavior. But when he looked at the data on patterns of drug use as an academic, he could plainly see that only a small minority of people who try crack become heavy users. “Even at the peak [of] widespread use,” he writes, “only 10–20 percent of crack cocaine users became addicted.” According to the National Survey on Drug Use and Health, just 3 percent of Americans who have tried this reputedly irresistible and inescapable drug have smoked it in the last month.

Contrary to what anti-drug ads claim, Hart observes, addiction “is not an equal-opportunity disorder.” He notes that even rats, whose voracious consumption of cocaine in certain contrived conditions supposedly shows how powerfully addictive that drug is, tend to use it in moderation when they have other options, such as food, sex, or an interesting environment to explore.

Crack “gained the popularity that it did in the hood…because there weren’t that many other affordable sources of pleasure and purpose,” Hart writes. “And that was why, despite years of media-hyped predictions that crack’s expansion across classes was imminent, it never ‘ravaged’ the suburbs.”

. . .

Hart is well aware of the hostility he is apt to provoke by challenging the myths underlying the war on drugs. He describes a 2005 meeting with journalists, arranged by the Office of National Drug Control Policy, where he tried to put the dangers of methamphetamine in perspective, noting that the drug is a government-approved treatment for narcolepsy and attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). He cited his own research finding that methamphetamine has “the same effects” as a more familiar ADHD drug, Adderall, which has a “nearly identical” chemical structure. He added that pilots and soldiers commonly use amphetamines to stay alert.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." - Dean Martin

bottomfeeder

• We're screwed.
Re: Crack: Legalize It!
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2013, 12:22:11 PM »
I know you guys don't think that bottomfeeder needs to use big words, but tetrahydroisoquinoline replacement of naturally occurring dopamine, due to alcoholism and drug addiction, seems to be key. Non-alcoholics don't experience this problem. This theory has supposedly been discredited, but the experiments/studies prove otherwise.

http://www.jpp.krakow.pl/journal/archive/12_07/pdf/625_12_07_article.pdf

Cocaine addiction is a life-threatening disease for which there is currently no
effective pharmacotheraphy (1). Both clinical and preclinical findings indicate
that the behavioral response to cocaine, including discriminative stimulus and
rewarding effects as well as reinstatement of cocaine seeking behavior, depend on
the drug ability to block the dopamine transporter, thereby increasing dopamine
extracellular concentration within the mesocorticolimbic system and indirect
activation of dopamine D1 and D2 receptors (for review see: 2 - 5).

Confirming further the role of dopamine neurotransmission in cocaine
behaviors we have recently demonstrated that 1-methyl-1,2,3,4-
tetrahydroisoquinoline (1MeTIQ) prevents the expression of the behavioral and
neurochemical consequences of cocaine-primed induced reinstatement (6).
1MeTIQ is a member of endogenous tetrahydroisoquinolines (7, 8) and shows
neuroprotective properties depending on alterations in both the dopaminergic (9,
10) and glutamatergic neurotransmitter systems (11). In fact, 1MeTIQ inhibits the
MAO-dependent oxidative deamination of dopamine and shifts catabolism of
dopamine towards COMT-dependent O-methylation (12). In the in vitro binding
assays, 1MeTIQ displaced the non-selective dopamine agonist [3H]apomorphine
with a potency comparable to that of the endogenous dopamine, but not the
dopamine antagonist [3H]spiperone what indicates its direct interaction with the
agonistic (active) conformation of dopamine receptors (6). On the other hand, in
the in vivo studies it shows antidopaminergic activity (12). 1MeTIQ was also
shown to prevent the glutamate-induced cell death in granular cell cultures and in
the in vivo microdialysis it decreased the release of excitatory amino acids evoked
by intra-prefrontal cortex kainate injection in the rat (13). Additionally, 1MeTIQ
displays an affinity for the NMDA glutamatergic receptors as confirmed by the
inhibition of [3H]MK-801 binding (13)

http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2Fs00702-006-0546-y

Summary.

Drug abuse disorder is induced by a variety of substances and results from their interaction with the brain reward system. It is characterized by a high frequency of relapse, usually associated with to craving. In this study we investigated the effects of 1-methyl-1,2,3,4-tetrahydroisoquinoline, an endogenous compound with antidopaminergic and neuroprotective activity, on cocaine-induced reinstatement in cocaine-dependent, self-administering rats. 1-methyl-1,2,3,4-tetrahydroisoquinoline (50 mg/kg i.p.) completely inhibited the expression of reinstatement of cocaine self-administration and accompanying neurochemical changes induced by a single priming cocaine dose (10 mg/kg i.p.). The priming cocaine dose inhibited dopamine metabolism in the structures containing nerve endings (frontal cortex, nucleus accumbens, and striatum) but not in the substantia nigra and ventral tegmental area. A behaviorally active dose of 1-methyl-1,2,3,4-tetrahydroisoquinoline administered 30 min before a priming dose of cocaine significantly increased the dopamine concentration in the limbic structures, and strongly inhibited dopamine metabolism in the substantia nigra and ventral tegmental area. Cocaine also inhibited noradrenaline and serotonin metabolism, and 1-methyl-1,2,3,4-tetrahydroisoquinoline abolished the inhibition in noradrenaline metabolism, while it intensified the inhibition of serotonin metabolism. Our results strongly support the view that 1-methyl-1,2,3,4-tetrahydroisoquinoline, an endogenous compound, has considerable potential as a drug for combating substance abuse disease through the attenuation of craving.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 12:33:20 PM by bottomfeeder »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2013, 02:15:56 PM »
Legalizing pot is one thing.  Legalizing stuff that is possible to OD on the first time you use it is something else (meth, heroin, coke, etc). 

Except for alcohol of course, that stuff's delicious.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You meet a man on the Oregon Trail. He tells you his name is Terry. You laugh and tell him: "That's a girl's name!" Terry shoots you. You have died of dissin' Terry.

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2013, 02:16:48 PM »
Legalizing pot is one thing.  Legalizing stuff that is possible to OD on the first time you use it is something else (meth, heroin, coke, etc). 

Except for alcohol of course, that stuff's delicious.

I hate cocaine...I just like the way it smells.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2013, 02:27:29 PM »
I hate cocaine...I just like the way it smells.

I'm not hooked on coke.  I've been doing it 15 years and I can quit any time I want.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2013, 02:50:07 PM »
I don't want to live in a world without
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

GarMan

• Alpha Male, Cigar Connoisseur and Smart Ass
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2013, 07:28:18 PM »
Seriously!  Legalize EVERYTHING as long as we also take away the safety nets and other gubm'et giveaway programs.  Give Darwin's theory a chance.  In 6-12 months, the Democrats would have lost half their constituents, and much of the remaining deadbeat culture demanding all of the freebies would be too stoned to give a shit. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.  - Winston Churchill

Eating and sleeping are the only activities that should be allowed to interrupt a man's enjoyment of his cigar.  - Mark Twain

Nothing says "Obey Me" like a bloody head on a fence post!  - Stewie Griffin

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others."  - Ayn Rand

bottomfeeder

• We're screwed.
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2013, 12:00:00 PM »
Seriously!  Legalize EVERYTHING as long as we also take away the safety nets and other gubm'et giveaway programs.  Give Darwin's theory a chance.  In 6-12 months, the Democrats would have lost half their constituents, and much of the remaining deadbeat culture demanding all of the freebies would be too stoned to give a shit.

Hear, hear. This^^^^^^^
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions