Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

The Blacklist

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
The Blacklist
« on: November 06, 2013, 11:27:38 PM »
I've tried so very hard to like the top new show on television, but I just can't. 

I wanted to enjoy Spader gnawing on scenery like a low-rent Jack Nicholson.  There's no question he's the best part of this show. But the rest is so astoundingly bad it's become impossible to watch. 

The girl is fair, but overacts so badly she's grating. The dude from Homeland is a cardboard character with cardboard lines. The FBI chief is a caricature.

This week the other doctor from House was massacring people in an effort to find a cure for his illegitimate son. The dialogue was bad. The setups were bad. The story was awful, stupid and it looked like Spader was bored out of his skull.

Last week the plot gaps were so ridiculously huge the mind was boggled.

They're in DC with less than two hours to find a dirty bomb somewhere in the US. A random coincidence convinces the girl the bomb is in Houston.  Next scene they're jogging onto the dock at Houston and only have a little more than an hour to locate and defuse the bomb.  SERIOUSLY? 

It's a THREE HOUR FLIGHT from DC to Houston.  Assuming they all leaped up from the desk and into a plane hovering overhead, they still miss the detonation by at least an hour.  But that's not realistic. They've got to gear up, get to the airport in DC - that's at least a 30-minute proposition -- fly to Houston and then get from the airport to the docks.  They arrived in cars.  Not choppers.  It's FORTY DAMN MILES from the airport to the docks.  So now by the time they get there this bomb has been blown for a couple of hours at least. 

But no.  They've got a little over an hour to find it in the 25 miles of cargo containers.  Oh, but they have some magic FBI deduction skills.  After opening random containers for half an hour, they figure out how it got there and get this bomb-laden car off the boat. 

But the bomb can't be disconnected!! It's gonna blow and irradiate everything within five miles!!!  Girl suggests dropping it in the water.  The freaking thing's lifted up by magnet on a crane, just rotate and let go, right?

But no.  Lower it down, uncrate it.  Homeland dude drives it into the water with seconds to spare and it just makes a little ripple on the surface. boom. No radiation because it was in WATER, yo! Science, beyatch!  Everybody's relieved. 

And then there's some ludicrous side story about the girl's husband being an assassin but they just let him go because a criminal says "never saw him before"  Yeah, that's happening.

Holy cow, that show was cringe-worthy bad.  It's as awfully acted, ridiculously contrived and stupidly plotted as turning on an old episode of Cannon or Mannix or Baretta or McCloud. 

It is absolutely terrible and stale. 

American Horror Story on the other hand?  Outrageously good. 
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 11:30:23 PM by Kaos »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

bottomfeeder

• We're screwed.
Re: The Blacklist
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2013, 12:36:02 PM »
I concur. The first three I watched and were worth my time, but that last episode with car underwater prevent radiation spread was just too UNREAL for me.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2013, 12:42:31 PM »
I concur. The first three I watched and were worth my time, but that last episode with car underwater prevent radiation spread was just too UNREAL for me.

I'd like to answer you but I've got 34 minutes to get from Foley, AL to LAX, find a green car with an Idaho licence plate in the long-term parking lot, get it to the LaBrea tar pits and sink it with seconds to spare.

Plenty of time. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Vandy Vol

• Bitches ain't shit but hos and tricks.
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2013, 07:20:09 AM »
Detonating a nuclear bomb in water does reduce the amount of radiation that's released.

Other than that, the show sounds shitty.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." - Dean Martin

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2013, 08:54:38 AM »
It has potential. Not sure where they will go with it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

jmar

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2013, 06:52:19 PM »
It has potential. Not sure where they will go with it.
I was intrigued as others by Spader's character and went through the first three episodes knowing it was doomed to fail for want of borrowing ideas to keep it interesting and the supporting cast is little help.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2014, 08:53:00 AM »
NEW SEASON!

Now featuring Jesse Pinkman's girlfriend! And Bruce Willis' love interest from Red!!  And a new haircut just like Felicity!!  Changes her whole attitude. 

Show? Worse than before if that's possible. 

Plots are appallingly bad.

"Lord Baltimore?"  Pffffftt.

NCIS stinks too.  Dinozo got on a plane, flew from DC to Finland, hooked up with Finnish operatives and drove 20 miles into the woods where he met up with Gibbs at the exact moment he put two in the chest of a bad guy -- but didn't kill him.   All this happened between midnight and dawn of the same day.  Yeah. Right. Glad NCIS invented a teleporter.

AND.....NCIS N'awlins? Don't ask. Shifty Scott Backula efforts at a Cajun drawl, Lucas Black saying "rawl tahd" and some other completely forgettable characters.  This franchise jumped, saddled and is riding the shark all over the pacific.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2014, 10:07:04 AM »
NEW SEASON!

Now featuring Jesse Pinkman's girlfriend! And Bruce Willis' love interest from Red!!  And a new haircut just like Felicity!!  Changes her whole attitude. 

NCIS stinks too.  Dinozo got on a plane, flew from DC to Finland, hooked up with Finnish operatives and drove 20 miles into the woods where he met up with Gibbs at the exact moment he put two in the chest of a bad guy -- but didn't kill him.   All this happened between midnight and dawn of the same day.  Yeah. Right. Glad NCIS invented a teleporter.

AND.....NCIS N'awlins? Don't ask. Shifty Scott Backula efforts at a Cajun drawl, Lucas Black saying "rawl tahd" and some other completely forgettable characters.  This franchise jumped, saddled and is riding the shark all over the pacific.

It's entertainment.

If you want literature, PBS is showing reruns all of the time.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2014, 10:10:13 AM »
It's entertainment.

The problem is that it isn't.  It's just stupid. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2014, 10:15:19 AM »
NEW SEASON!

Please tell me this isn't the case?  I stopped watching after season 7 and have been planning on watching seasons 8-11 sometime around Thanksgiving with some time off work that I am taking. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2014, 10:45:03 AM »
Please tell me this isn't the case?  I stopped watching after season 7 and have been planning on watching seasons 8-11 sometime around Thanksgiving with some time off work that I am taking.

It isn't the worst thing on TV, but last night was pretty weak.  NCIS is just what it is. Banter between Tony and Kate/Ziva/Anything with a vagina, Gibbs being pissy but in a loving way, Abby being an allegedly sexy nerd with a heart of gold, English quips from the Man From Uncle, nerdiness from the assistant.. just the same formula reheated and repeated every week.

The "grab a plane" thing and the guy gets from DC to a police vehicle in Finland in about half an hour?  That bothers me.  It has to make some sense timeline wise or it crosses the line into stupidity. 

The distance from DC to Finland is about 4000 miles.  Let's say DiNozzo was able to get Eldon W. Joersz to fly him there in a Lockheed SR71 Blackbird.  You're STILL looking at two hours of flight time in the fastest plane ever recorded.  We all know Joersz isn't available. So let's put him on a fighter jet.  Average speed there?  At best about 1400 mph.  So now we're THREE hours out.  But you know Tony isn't on a fighter.  He's in a transport of some kind.  So let's put him in the Gulfstream G450 (which the Navy doesn't officially use but could possibly have available). Cruising speed is about 680 mph.  Now we're a SIX hour flight at best.  And that's probably a reasonable estimation of the quickest actual flight time to get him there.   

That doesn't take into consideration getting to the airport in DC, pre-flight checks, landing, connecting with Finland security forces and driving 20+ miles into the middle of nowhere AND locating someone on the ground who had no outgoing signal.   

But he gets there in the time it takes Gibbs to double back on three shooters who are less than a half mile behind him?  AND Gibbs and the bad guy are standing in the middle of the only road within a hundred miles engaged in a face-to-face standoff/showdown?  Yeah, that's happening. 

PLUS, these three guys (one barely able to walk) trick the bad guys and come up on their empty truck.  Instead of stealing the damn thing and driving the 15 miles to freedom -- they blow it up?  So they can wander around and shoot at each other?  stuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuupid. 

You don't have to get everything perfect, but I don't like having my intelligence insulted. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2014, 12:21:42 PM »
The "grab a plane" thing and the guy gets from DC to a police vehicle in Finland in about half an hour?  That bothers me.  It has to make some sense timeline wise or it crosses the line into stupidity. 

The distance from DC to Finland is about 4000 miles.  Let's say DiNozzo was able to get Eldon W. Joersz to fly him there in a Lockheed SR71 Blackbird.  You're STILL looking at two hours of flight time in the fastest plane ever recorded. 

You don't have to get everything perfect, but I don't like having my intelligence insulted.

We will find out in episode 7 that this was just a mock up of Finland. It never really happened. Capricorn One anyone?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2014, 10:24:43 AM »
Back to The Blacklist....

Dear GOD this show is terrible.  Every performance is awful except for Spader's and he's phoning it in at this point.  I keep hoping against hope that it will get better.  It only gets worse. 

Stupid plots, ridiculous coincidences, laughable set ups, bogus emotions, implausible actions... the thing is a complete and total load of dumbassery.  It's awful. 

What stuns me is that the show is so highly rated.  Top rated drama on Monday nights, beating Gotham (an exponentially better show), NCIS:LA (which really sort of sucks) and Castle.  Just another reason I'm losing faith in the intelligence of the American populace.  We are really becoming a nation of chowderheads.  If this super shitty show can draw massive ratings, we must be buffoons. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2014, 11:20:16 AM »
Back to The Blacklist....

Dear GOD this show is terrible.  Every performance is awful except for Spader's and he's phoning it in at this point.  I keep hoping against hope that it will get better.  It only gets worse. 

Stupid plots, ridiculous coincidences, laughable set ups, bogus emotions, implausible actions... the thing is a complete and total load of dumbassery.  It's awful. 

What stuns me is that the show is so highly rated.  Top rated drama on Monday nights, beating Gotham (an exponentially better show), NCIS:LA (which really sort of sucks) and Castle.  Just another reason I'm losing faith in the intelligence of the American populace.  We are really becoming a nation of chowderheads.  If this super shitty show can draw massive ratings, we must be buffoons.

Now now. Gotham is good but too dark for the majority populace.

Castle is always a fun show. It is what it is.

NCIS LA is not genius, but another medium fun show to watch.

You can't have a award winning show every night.

The Blacklist seems like the writers never thought it would make it past season one. I'm hoping for better also. Who knows, this may be the crappy episodes that set up genius. <hoping>
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2014, 01:13:48 PM »
Now now. Gotham is good but too dark for the majority populace.

Castle is always a fun show. It is what it is.

NCIS LA is not genius, but another medium fun show to watch.

You can't have a award winning show every night.

The Blacklist seems like the writers never thought it would make it past season one. I'm hoping for better also. Who knows, this may be the crappy episodes that set up genius. <hoping>

I'll never know.  After trying last nigh and this morningt to catch up on two episodes and falling asleep multiple times through each of them I deleted the series from my DVR.  It's gone.  Don't care and done. 

I've got Gotham, Walking Dead, Homeland (which is also boring me now), American Horror Story and some interest in Constantine to take up my time.  I've given this shitty show more chances than I've ever given any other and it continually disappoints.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Lurking Tiger

• Brother
  • Table Limit
    • Clinton/Obama '08
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2014, 03:16:30 AM »
They're in DC with less than two hours to find a dirty bomb somewhere in the US. A random coincidence convinces the girl the bomb is in Houston.  Next scene they're jogging onto the dock at Houston and only have a little more than an hour to locate and defuse the bomb.  SERIOUSLY? 

It's a THREE HOUR FLIGHT from DC to Houston.  Assuming they all leaped up from the desk and into a plane hovering overhead, they still miss the detonation by at least an hour.  But that's not realistic. They've got to gear up, get to the airport in DC - that's at least a 30-minute proposition -- fly to Houston and then get from the airport to the docks.  They arrived in cars.  Not choppers.  It's FORTY DAMN MILES from the airport to the docks.  So now by the time they get there this bomb has been blown for a couple of hours at least. 

Sometimes you really have to suspend disbelief to enjoy the show. But I started watching the other day and have enjoyed it despite some obvious mistakes. This isn't one of them though. They are in DC with almost four hours to go. Not two. And the flight from DC to Houston is three hours only if you are flying commercial. And they didn't gear up. When they get there they are in the same clothes. So ten to fifteen minutes in a chopper to the airstrip and then two hours and change to Houston. And they were not shown arriving, so I will give them credit for a chopper from the airport to the docks.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2014, 08:27:21 AM »
Back to NCIS New Orleans

Can't watch it for the constant "rawl tahd", 'beeg aill", "bammer" references from that country ass Sling Blade kid. 

That and it's a terrible show. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2014, 08:51:19 AM »
Back to NCIS New Orleans

Can't watch it for the constant "rawl tahd", 'beeg aill", "bammer" references from that country ass Sling Blade kid. 

That and it's a terrible show.

Well in all fairness he is from Decatur.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2014, 09:35:20 AM »
Well in all fairness he is from Decatur.

Don't too much give a fuck if he fell from Nick Saban's asshole and was baptized with urine from Bear Bryant's Dickel bottle. 

It's annoying and offensive to keep hearing it week after week.   I've watched 15 minutes of the show on two different occasions and heard four or five references to the "tahd" during that time.  I don't have to listen to that shit -- and won't.   

Fuck him, fuck them and fuck Scott Backula's awful "Cajun" accent. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions