Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

AU teammates tend to injured Savage

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
AU teammates tend to injured Savage
« on: August 12, 2008, 10:40:30 AM »
AUBURN -- Walt McFadden spent his first three college seasons relying on teammate Aairon Savage for help.

Those roles have changed dramatically.

An injury last week shredded a ligament in Savage's right knee, ending his junior season before it began. Now all but immobilized by a thigh-to-shin brace, Savage is depending on McFadden and fellow roommate Jerraud Powers for guidance.

McFadden is taking this seriously.

"I've been feeding him a lot of chips and cookies lately," he said with a laugh Monday. "He sent me a text message earlier -- I'm going to bring him some Sewell Hall (food)."

Savage, who spent the first half of his Auburn career at safety, was moved to cornerback during the spring. That infused some constructive drama into his household, which includes Powers and McFadden.

All three are cornerbacks. Only two can crack the starting lineup.

The past five months spawned a series of playful debates that extended beyond the field. The three like to compare their cooking skills, cleanliness and taste in music.

Powers laughed Monday when told McFadden championed his culinary skills.

"I can't believe he even brought that up. Walt can't cook," Powers said. "I haven't seen Walt cook in my life (except) some Hamburger Helper -- and the skillet was all messed up and burned when he got done. Savage can cook. I can cook. Walt just eats off what we've got."

That playful rivalry is more important than ever for Savage, who was expected to start ahead of McFadden this season. Now the Georgia native will spend the fall rehabilitating his knee in hopes of regaining fitness next summer.

Knee injuries can be fickle. Frustration is a common byproduct.

Powers said he and McFadden have been adjusting the tone of their conversations while at home. Savage often asks for a run-down of the team's day at practice.

The topic quickly changes.

"We don't harp about football too much because if we started talking about football, he'd probably get a little down," Powers said. "We just go home and laugh a little bit and joke around."

Still, there is work to be done.

Savage remains on a regimen of pain medication, which requires a early-morning dosage. Powers and McFadden take turns helping their injured roommate with his pills, his meals and anything else he needs.

Powers and McFadden don't seem to mind.

"Me and Walt are mommy and dad right now -- and he's the baby," Powers said. "We've got to take care of him right now."

http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080812/SPORTS/808120346/1002/sports

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

Tiger Wench

• Does this armour make my ass look big?
Re: AU teammates tend to injured Savage
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2008, 11:04:01 AM »
I heart our guys... :)
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
Re: AU teammates tend to injured Savage
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2008, 11:15:57 AM »
What a bunch of thugs.
 :pee: bammer
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.