Burns trying to be a patient leader

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
Burns trying to be a patient leader
« on: August 11, 2008, 04:23:05 PM »
August 11, 2008 2:06 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's Chris Low

AUBURN, Ala. -- Kodi Burns doesn't mind sharing Auburn's quarterback duties this season, and that's what he's bracing himself for with junior college transfer Chris Todd.

First-year offensive coordinator Tony Franklin said both guys will play, at least early, until somebody separates himself.

Burns' only problem with that scenario is when it comes to the leadership department.

"The hardest part is trying to be a leader, because guys look at you and see that you're splitting reps with another guy and they're not so sure if you're the guy. I think that's the hardest part for me," said Burns, who was more of a runner last season as a freshman in former coordinator Al Borges' West Coast offense.

"In high school and even last year, they would say, 'Hey, Brandon Cox is the starter. He's the man. When he says something, we're going to listen to him.' It's kind of difficult at times. At the same time, you just try to forget about that and try to do the best you can and be a leader."

Burns said the biggest difference in him this preseason camp is that he's rediscovered his confidence throwing the ball. He said he was unfairly tagged as a runner last season because that's what the Tigers needed him to do.

"That's what (Tim) Tebow did and people were questioning him. He's done well, and I feel I can do the same thing," said Burns, who was just 10-of-26 last season for 145 yards, two touchdowns and one interception.

Burns isn't predicting he'll win the Heisman Trophy, but he is predicting that he can throw the football with anybody. He's also comfortable in Franklin's no-huddle, spread offense, whereas he admits he never fully got the reads or the protections down in Borges' West Coast attack a year ago.

"When I came to Auburn and they kind of turned me into more of a run guy and I started questioning myself, I was like, 'Maybe they're running me for a reason,' " Burns recounted. "I watched some film and was like, 'I can do this. Nothing has changed. The speed of the game has changed, but my arm is still here.'

"I knew I could throw as well as any quarterback in this league."

Now, if only the Tigers would name a starter. Burns conceded that he was getting a bit antsy.

"They haven't told me anything," Burns said. "I used to worry about it and try to do my best. At the same time, I just can't worry about that anymore. I have to come out each and every day and compete."

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/sec/0-1-172/Burns-trying-to-patient-leader-for-Auburn.html

Christ, I wish they would name him as the starter.  However, I will concede the fact that Todd should get a shot.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
Re: Burns trying to be a patient leader
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2008, 04:39:27 PM »
http://myespn.go.com/blogs/sec/0-1-172/Burns-trying-to-patient-leader-for-Auburn.html

Christ, I wish they would name him as the starter.  However, I will concede the fact that Todd should get a shot.

Why should Todd get a shot over Christ?  Or over Burns, for that matter.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2008, 04:55:30 PM »
Yeah, I think Christ definitely gets the nod. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2008, 05:01:49 PM »
Christ then Burns then Todd.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2008, 05:09:37 PM »
We have no depth chart
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2008, 06:41:38 PM »
When I was at the first practice, I mainly watched Burns and Todd. All I saw was just a little bit of practice where the QB's were throwing passes to the WR's with no defense. It was obvious to me that Todd is the far better passer...he throws a really REALLY pretty ball guys! He is really accurate and some of the fade routes he threw dropped into the WR's perfectly. He also threw a really good out pass. He just has a really tight spiral and as a former WR, that ball is a TON easier to catch. I am not saying that Burns shouldn't be the starter, but I definitely understand why Todd is getting a chance to compete...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions