Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

RNR HOF Class of 2014 Nominees...

chinook

RNR HOF Class of 2014 Nominees...
« on: October 16, 2013, 03:37:25 PM »
Nirvana, Linda Ronstadt, Peter Gabriel, Hall and Oates, and The Replacements are among first-time nominees to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

The hall of fame announced its annual list of nominees Wednesday morning and half the field of 16 were first-time nominees. YES, Link Wray and The Zombies also received their first nominations.

More than 600 voters will determine the class of 2014. Inductees will be announced in December and a ceremony will be held next April in New York. The induction will be aired on HBO in May.

Nirvana is nominated in its first year of eligibility. If selected for induction, the band would enter the hall of fame almost exactly 20 years after frontman Kurt Cobain's suicide at age 27.

Ronstadt receives her first nomination not long after she shared news that she has Parkinson's disease. Fans have long questioned her absence from the hall's roster of stars. Similarly, long-denied YES joins the list after Rush finally struck a blow for prog rock with its induction earlier this year.

Repeat nominees are KISS, LL Cool J, N.W.A., Cat Stevens, Deep Purple, The Meters, The Paul Butterfield Blues Band and Chic. It's the eighth nomination for Chic since 2003, but comes as co-founder Nile Rodgers is enjoying widespread attention after his collaboration with Daft Punk earlier this year.

KISS, LL Cool J and Stevens return to the list after absences of several years.

Link...KISS is the Greatest Rock Band EVAR

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

ssgaufan

• WDE!!!
Re: RNR HOF Class of 2014 Nominees...
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2013, 03:52:48 PM »
I'm going to go ahead and agree with Kaos on this one, Kiss should be in the RNR HOF.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2013, 03:58:24 PM »
Link...KISS is the Greatest Rock Band EVAR

In all seriousness, KISS not being a first ballot slam dunk makes me question the entire process.  I don't have any of their stuff....anymore....and you can give K all the shit you want for being a KISS Army card carrying member.  But that band was innovative as hell and second to none as far as R-n-R shows go.  And they stayed there for a long time.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2013, 04:12:13 PM »
Can't believe Nirvana is eligible. Now we're getting into the shit that I was genuinely into when it was new, thus I feel super old.

Qualifications are their first major label album had to be released 25 years prior. That puts the cut off at 1989. Didn't realize Bleach was released in the 80's, but sure enough...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2013, 04:13:17 PM »
In all seriousness, KISS not being a first ballot slam dunk makes me question the entire process.  I don't have any of their stuff....anymore....and you can give K all the shoot you want for being a KISS Army card carrying member.  But that band was innovative as hell and second to none as far as R-n-R shows go.  And they stayed there for a long time.
You think better than Night Ranger??? Or The Monkees? To each, I guess.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2013, 04:20:45 PM »
You think better than Night Ranger??? Or The Monkees? To each, I guess.

Listen up, Sister Christian.  Don't you go puttin' Night Ranger in the same class as The Monkees.  Ground breakers, those boys were. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2013, 04:28:37 PM »
In all seriousness, KISS not being a first ballot slam dunk makes me question the entire process.  I don't have any of their stuff....anymore....and you can give K all the shit you want for being a KISS Army card carrying member.  But that band was innovative as hell and second to none as far as R-n-R shows go.  And they stayed there for a long time.

Maybe K sent the HOF one of his (you don't know shit like I know shit) letters.

That's why they are being kept out.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2013, 04:31:48 PM »
Listen up, Sister Christian.  Don't you go puttin' Night Ranger in the same class as The Monkees.  Ground breakers, those boys were.

MOTOR-RAAAAAAAAAAAAAN
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2013, 04:33:29 PM »
KISS will not get in.  They have defied the odds, tradition and convention to create their own separate niche in the world.  The Hall of Fame does not recognize or appreciate that.

Also not in? Boston, Yes, Crue, Judas Priest, Motorhead.

It does however reward other things that I cannot fathom. Rock and Roll Hall inductees include:

ABBA - They took a chance
Alice Cooper - Helped inspire KISS and had fewer good songs or albums
Herb Alpert - Because trumpets scream rock
Nat Cole - Because chestnuts are rock food
Four Seasons, Four Tops, Marvin Gaye and Aretha - Because the Motown Hall was full
Grandmaster Flash, EWF, Parliament ,  - Because the funk hall was full
Brenda Lee - Rockin Around the Christmas Tree is enough,  I guess. She did say "rockin'"
Public Enemy and Run DMC,  - Because the rap hall was burned in a riot
Donna Summer and the Bee Gees - Because the Disco Hall was dead
Hank Williams - Because the Yodeling Hall fol-de-ol-de-olded.

It's just ridiculous.  This year you'll see:

Nirvana (deserved)
Linda Rondstadt (sympathy and because she was sexy in the early 70s)
Peter Gabriel (meh)
Chic - because they so, so rock

and one of the following:
Hall and Oates or Cat Stevens or The Paul Butthole Plug Band (who nobody has ever heard of)

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2013, 04:34:04 PM »
Kiss and DP belong already. Both have been voted down before.

Decent list this year. When did rappers become rock n roll artists? Just curious. Can Metallica get into the hip hop hall of fame too?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2013, 04:43:44 PM »
I assume they're putting straight up pop in with R-n-R. If so, Hall & Oates is another one from that same KISS era that many here might give a big Pfffffft to.  One night while I was at Auburn, I picked up The Plainsman and was just looking through it when I noticed, "Oh...Hall & Oates are at Beard Eaves tonight for $4.00.  I got nothing pressing on a Tuesday night."  Went by myself.  Every song they played, I thought, "Damn, that's a H&O song too."  Yeah, they were bubble gum pop, but they put out a shit ton of music.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2013, 04:52:54 PM »
I assume they're putting straight up pop in with R-n-R. If so, Hall & Oates is another one from that same KISS era that many here might give a big Pfffffft to.  One night while I was at Auburn, I picked up The Plainsman and was just looking through it when I noticed, "Oh...Hall & Oates are at Beard Eaves tonight for $4.00.  I got nothing pressing on a Tuesday night."  Went by myself.  Every song they played, I thought, "Damn, that's a H&O song too."  Yeah, they were bubble gum pop, but they put out a shoot ton of music.

Just because they tended to tour a lot of college campuses in the mid to late 80s, I've seen Hall and Oates live more than any other act besides KISS.  Not a great show, but a steady stream of songs you've heard before. 

Sarah Smile is a classic.  One of my favorites. She's Gone is also good.

I Can't Go for That, Rich Girl, Say It Isn't So, Out of Touch... all easily digestible, forgettable, but comfortable.

Anything after Maneater can go soak on a pole.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2013, 04:54:30 PM »
I assume they're putting straight up pop in with R-n-R. If so, Hall & Oates is another one from that same KISS era that many here might give a big Pfffffft to.  One night while I was at Auburn, I picked up The Plainsman and was just looking through it when I noticed, "Oh...Hall & Oates are at Beard Eaves tonight for $4.00.  I got nothing pressing on a Tuesday night."  Went by myself.  Every song they played, I thought, "Damn, that's a H&O song too."  Yeah, they were bubble gum pop, but they put out a shoot ton of music.
This was the way that you normally went to concerts, wasn't it?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2013, 05:11:57 PM »
It's cold gin time again.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2013, 05:15:57 PM »
Just because they tended to tour a lot of college campuses in the mid to late 80s, I've seen Hall and Oates live more than any other act besides KISS.  Not a great show, but a steady stream of songs you've heard before. 

Sarah Smile is a classic.  One of my favorites. She's Gone is also good.

I Can't Go for That, Rich Girl, Say It Isn't So, Out of Touch... all easily digestible, forgettable, but comfortable.

Anything after Maneater can go soak on a pole.

This.  Just stood there and played their set but every song was another top 40 tune. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2013, 05:17:28 PM »
This was the way that you normally went to concerts, wasn't it?

Oh yeah?...well...says you.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

bottomfeeder

• We're screwed.
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2013, 06:28:00 PM »
Foo Fighters > KISS
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 06:29:50 PM by bottomfeeder »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2013, 07:20:26 PM »
Foo Fighters > KISS

Good parody
BUT...
Foo Fighters = KISS fans

I thought you were banned?
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 07:27:58 PM by Kaos »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

bottomfeeder

• We're screwed.
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2013, 08:56:49 PM »
I thought you were banned?
I am or can't you tell? It's all about the $$$$$$$.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 08:58:25 PM by bottomfeeder »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2013, 10:55:30 AM »
Kiss and DP belong already. Both have been voted down before.

Decent list this year. When did rappers become rock n roll artists? Just curious. Can Metallica get into the hip hop hall of fame too?

That would be racist
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.