« Reply #40 on: October 24, 2013, 01:01:50 PM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
Re: MOTHER fudgeIN OBAMACARE
« Reply #41 on: October 24, 2013, 02:04:16 PM »
Explain in detail please.

We started moving things out of the Warden's estate 15 years ago and literally just finished getting that done this year.  The tax liability alone was enough to choke Linda Lovelace.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

Vandy Vol

• Bitches ain't shit but hos and tricks.
« Reply #42 on: October 24, 2013, 05:35:04 PM »
We started moving things out of the Warden's estate 15 years ago and literally just finished getting that done this year.  The tax liability alone was enough to choke Linda Lovelace.

Hope you're not talking about gift taxes.  Unless the Warden anticipates having a large estate and wants to avoid estate taxes, the annual gift exclusion and lifetime gift exclusion amounts could have been used to avoid gift taxes on transfers of property made during their lifetime.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." - Dean Martin

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #43 on: October 24, 2013, 05:38:07 PM »
Hope you're not talking about gift taxes.  Unless the Warden anticipates having a large estate and wants to avoid estate taxes, the annual gift exclusion and lifetime gift exclusion amounts could have been used to avoid gift taxes on transfers of property made during their lifetime.

Gawd, I get so hot when you talk like that.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Vandy Vol

« Reply #44 on: October 24, 2013, 05:42:19 PM »
Gawd, I get so hot when you talk like that.

Just wait until I start talking about adjusting your basis.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." - Dean Martin

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #45 on: October 24, 2013, 06:41:05 PM »
I was being mostly serious.   My dad is mid 70s. Mom about to be 70.   Pretty sure they have no life insurance.  Probably no will.  Lots of land and money though. 

No estate planning that I'm aware of.  He's one of those do-it-yourself people.  Doesn't trust others to manage that kind of thing. 

Is there something I should know?  Something I should be telling him?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

« Reply #46 on: October 24, 2013, 10:04:22 PM »
I was being mostly serious.   My dad is mid 70s. Mom about to be 70.   Pretty sure they have no life insurance.  Probably no will.  Lots of land and money though. 

No estate planning that I'm aware of.  He's one of those do-it-yourself people.  Doesn't trust others to manage that kind of thing. 

Is there something I should know?  Something I should be telling him?

Tell him that unless he sells it to you soon that when he dies you are going to be forced to sell it off to pay the taxes of 50% of the value of the property.

At least that's what happened to some land that was in my wife's family.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You meet a man on the Oregon Trail. He tells you his name is Terry. You laugh and tell him: "That's a girl's name!" Terry shoots you. You have died of dissin' Terry.

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #47 on: October 25, 2013, 12:50:18 AM »
Tell him that unless he sells it to you soon that when he dies you are going to be forced to sell it off to pay the taxes of 50% of the value of the property.

At least that's what happened to some land that was in my wife's family.

I think there is like a five year window. If you have transferred everything into someone else's name over five years ago, then the goverment cannot come after it if you get sick. Any time before the five years and the gubment takes your assets to pay the bills.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 10:30:09 AM by CCTAU »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #48 on: October 25, 2013, 06:48:29 AM »

That's what we have been doing.  Have been on pins and needles the last 5 or 6 years thinking those nitwits in Washington were going to lower the lifetime gift amounts before we could finish getting it all out of his name.  He literally has his house and truck in his name. That's it.
All other land, vehicles, and holdings have been gifted into a partnership.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

Vandy Vol

« Reply #49 on: October 29, 2013, 08:19:46 AM »
I think there is like a five year window. If you have transferred everything into someone else's name over five years ago, then the goverment cannot come after it if you get sick. Any time before the five years and the gubment takes your assets to pay the bills.

Unless there's been a change that I'm not aware of, I believe you're thinking about the rules for Medicaid eligibility.  In order to be eligible for Medicaid, you are not allowed to transfer significant assets for five years prior to your Medicaid application.  Otherwise, they will act as if you still own the asset and require that you continue to "spend down" an amount equal to the FMV of that asset before becoming eligible.  Similarly, if you are accepted for Medicaid and it is later determined that you transferred assets within that five year window, then they could seize those assets if there are any unpaid medical bills, or if the government demands repayment for the medical bills it covered while you were inappropriately receiving Medicaid.

If you're terminally ill or otherwise racking up medical bills and you suddenly start transferring assets, and shortly thereafter you die, then maybe creditors could take the estate to court and assert that those transfers were a fraudulent attempt to avoid paying bills, but I don't think there's a federal law out there that specifically gives the government a five year window to look back and automatically seize assets that were transferred.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions