Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Thoughts week four

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
Re: Thoughts week four
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2013, 10:44:28 AM »
We should have been running the fast paced all damn night. Jake Holland has no business out on that field...period!
THIS. ^^^

At this point, it is laughable that Gus & Ellis are keeping him in there. I'm baffled by it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2013, 11:36:26 AM »
THIS. ^^^

At this point, it is laughable that Gus & Ellis are keeping him in there. I'm baffled by it.
I thought that the introduction of the Like button would make "THIS^^^" obsolete. Isn't there a rule about this somewhere?

Please Like this post if you agree. If I'm able to get 10 Likes, I could get a free Camel Rider from tigersx.com and Momma G's.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

jmar

« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2013, 11:56:04 AM »
Defensive lacking will keep us from beating the better teams in the West (Ole Miss, Texas A&M, Alabama) and East (Georgia) left on the schedule. Ole Miss and Texas A&M will use their speed and misdirection to get our D out of position and break big the opposite ways. Alabama and Georgia will line up and run it right at us - especially Georgia.

We should be able to outscore Arkansas and Tennessee and by the time we get to the latter, they may not have much fight left. We'll wax Western Carolina and FAU as should be expected.

That's 7-5 with a bowl bid coming. Not too bad but hopefully won't become the norm.

Outside of Auburn:

Southern Cal should go ahead and start the coaching search now. They are pathetic and shouldn't be. Ever.

Notre Dame and Michigan are totally propped up by ESPN. Those teams are aided by a weak conference (or not one in NDs case) and a weak schedule. There's nothing tough about either of them.

LSU will beat Georgia and Alabama this year. That's a nasty, big team with a chip on the shoulder. The biggest obstacle is Les and his awful game management. If they can overcome or work around that, they could run the table.

If the media could arrange it, the national title game would be Oregon - Ohio State. And the game would be awful. Ohio State would be little more than cannon fodder for the Ducks.
When we muffed the punt early in the driving rain I immediately thought of the Ole Miss game (snap over head) and it was like a death knell. And while we all know our team has limitations we can hang around and outlast a team not ready to play us.

Marshall is ideal for this "current" offense and would be scary good if he exhibited some consistent form with his throws. But he gets away with a lot of it and in the heat of the battle he's going to do it his way. Watching clips of '09 and '10 reinforce that he is better suited than any we have because he is operating without that nasty offensive line that really got after it. 

I don't care to see Prosch catch another ball... Grant or Artis Payne yes.

We go a tight set and defenses automatically load the box as Stan pointed out. Run game much better veiled with combos of split receivers. *It's not any knock on play calling, but rather the personnel groupings we get at times against agressive talent like LSU. Prosch is a good last option against teams we are likely to beat. But if we execute properly that option isn't required. Jus sayin'.

Rod pointed out several times that after a catch Louis should just go at the defender and try to shake him more north/south with his size advantage rather than bust a move.

It's not imperative that we go with the same vanilla starting lineup and setup with our defensive down linemen and 'backers to get the same old results. Why not get creative early on for a change.

Chris Davis will relieve some pressure at boundary corner.

The lack of stops by our LBs will keep our corners and safeties hobbled as witnessed by the defensive team (tackles) stat. But that starts by getting pushed around (or suckered) easily inside.

Beyond A&M, UGA and Bama we might hang tough with Ole Miss and manage to beat the others. 

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2013, 12:00:56 PM »

I saw this in the spring, and accepted it.  I said it here.  Some refuse to believe it, while others think "coach em up" or "imaginative 3rd down play calling" will make it all better.  It won't.  When we step on the field vs bammer, and Ugay, we'll be just as outmanned. 

Baah, pfffttt, baah.

Converting third and short extends drives.  Extended drives keep their offense off the field and increase the likelihood that ours end up in points or in more advantageous field position.

Outmanned or not, we have to convert third and two, third and one and not try to be adventurous on those calls.  We had lined up and proven that nine times out of ten we could plow straight through the line for three yards.  Do that.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

jmar

« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2013, 12:10:57 PM »
Also jumping off JR's post -

If we go 9-4, is it normal for a 9 win SEC team to be so ar behind the best SEC teams? 

The SEC has been pretty lopsided lately.  I agree we could squeak out nine wins or eight but it seems silly that a team like that would have little chance of NOT being blown out against Alabama, LSU etc. 

Maybe I just didn't pay attention to the mid tier teams when we were rolling n the mid 2000s.
No. Texas A&M is porous on defense but they have a great equalizer. Florida has a top notch defense and a bungling, wayward offense. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2013, 12:16:29 PM »
Oregon is a misfit and in a weird way I like it. To me Espn wants bammer - tosu.

Stanford, lsu, Oregon, even A&M all equally deserving if not more. I'd love for aggy to get in after losing to bammer. Would be the ultimate karma after what happened last year.

Louisville and tosu have no business in the conversation with their schedules.
If LSU was in shape nobody beats them. And if they get behind a team that isn't soft in the middle they will have problems.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2013, 12:47:34 PM »
When we muffed the punt early in the driving rain I immediately thought of the Ole Miss game (snap over head) and it was like a death knell. And while we all know our team has limitations we can hang around and outlast a team not ready to play us.

Marshall is ideal for this "current" offense and would be scary good if he exhibited some consistent form with his throws. But he gets away with a lot of it and in the heat of the battle he's going to do it his way. Watching clips of '09 and '10 reinforce that he is better suited than any we have because he is operating without that nasty offensive line that really got after it. 

I don't care to see Prosch catch another ball... Grant or Artis Payne yes.

We go a tight set and defenses automatically load the box as Stan pointed out. Run game much better veiled with combos of split receivers. *It's not any knock on play calling, but rather the personnel groupings we get at times against agressive talent like LSU. Prosch is a good last option against teams we are likely to beat. But if we execute properly that option isn't required. Jus sayin'.

Rod pointed out several times that after a catch Louis should just go at the defender and try to shake him more north/south with his size advantage rather than bust a move.

It's not imperative that we go with the same vanilla starting lineup and setup with our defensive down linemen and 'backers to get the same old results. Why not get creative early on for a change.

Chris Davis will relieve some pressure at boundary corner.

The lack of stops by our LBs will keep our corners and safeties hobbled as witnessed by the defensive team (tackles) stat. But that starts by getting pushed around (or suckered) easily inside.

Beyond A&M, UGA and Bama we might hang tough with Ole Miss and manage to beat the others. 

Stan said it was the death "nail" in the coffin.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2013, 01:31:28 PM »
After the way they just struggled against North Texas? No longer counting UGA as a guaranteed loss.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2013, 01:42:44 PM »
Baah, pfffttt, baah.

Converting third and short extends drives.  Extended drives keep their offense off the field and increase the likelihood that ours end up in points or in more advantageous field position.

Outmanned or not, we have to convert third and two, third and one and not try to be adventurous on those calls.  We had lined up and proven that nine times out of ten we could plow straight through the line for three yards.  Do that.

Ok...I'm all over that sentiment, IF we match up physically.   

Auburn on 3rd down, from the play by play:

3rd and 1 at AUB 45 Cameron Artis-Payne rush for 5 yards to the 50 yard line for a 1ST down.

3rd and 7 at LSU 47 Nick Marshall rush for 6 yards to the LSU 41.  (Was this a designed run, or a scramble?)

3rd and 9 at AUB 26 Nick Marshall pass incomplete.

3rd and 1 at AUB 34 Cameron Artis-Payne rush for no gain to the Aub 34. (Rushing on 3rd and short is a different animal than rushing on 1st and 10)

3rd and 2 at AUB 30 Nick Marshall pass incomplete to Brandon Fulse.  (Don't specifically recall this play...what type of call was it?  Safe pass that should have been completed?  Bomb?  We were down 14-0, and on our own 30)

3rd and 10 at LSU 47 Nick Marshall rush for 5 yards to the LSU 42.  (We were in 4 down territory, and failed to convert the following down)

3rd and 4 at AUB 38 Nick Marshall pass incomplete to Marcus Davis.  (down 21 to 0, on our on 38)

3rd and 3 at LSU 49 Tre Mason rush for no gain to the LSU 49.  (Again, 3rd and short is different from 1st and 10)

3rd and 2 at LSU 42 Nick Marshall pass complete to Sammie Coates for 14 yards to the LSU 28 for a 1ST down.  (Down 21 early 3rd Q)

3rd and 1 at LSU 19 Tre Mason rush for 17 yards to the LSU 2 for a 1ST down.

3rd and 5 at AUB 30 Nick Marshall pass incomplete.  (Down 28-7 Mid 3rd Q, from our own 30)

3rd and 5 at AUB 32 Nick Marshall pass complete to Marcus Davis for 11 yards to the Aub 43 for a 1ST down.

3rd and Goal at LSU 2 Tre Mason rush for 2 yards for a TOUCHDOWN.

3rd and 9 at AUB 15 Nick Marshall rush for 5 yards to the Aub 20.   (down 35-14 early 4th Q)

3rd and 12 at AUB 10 Nick Marshall pass complete to Marcus Davis for 10 yards to the Aub 20.

3rd and 1 at AUB 33 Tre Mason rush for 2 yards to the Aub 35 for a 1ST down.

3rd and Goal at LSU 17 Nick Marshall pass incomplete to Marcus Davis.

9 plays on 3rd and 4 or less.  6 Rushing attempts.  4 conversions.  Taking in to account the score and game situation, I think Gus generally agrees with your sentiment while at the same time not wanting to be totally predictable, and takes calculated risks when needed. 

We're outmanned vs LSU, bammer, and UGA.  Gus, like any play caller is not flawless, but I don't think that's anywhere near the top of the lists of reasons we don't win that game last night.  Not even in the top 10. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2013, 02:23:00 PM »
I thought that the introduction of the Like button would make "THIS^^^" obsolete. Isn't there a rule about this somewhere?

Please Like this post if you agree. If I'm able to get 10 Likes, I could get a free Camel Rider from tigersx.com and Momma G's.

THIS!!!^^^. Ummmm I mean 'like'
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

AUownsU

• Hold my beer.
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2013, 02:52:51 PM »
When the home team has to get home cooking even when they are obviously the better team?  I'm ok. 

The call on the onsides kick was abysmal.  That was our ball and who knows what happens if we get that.

The motion penalty after the fake injury was also bogus -- as was the fake injury to give their defense time to breathe when we were about to make it a one-score game. 

Yeah, they bumbled away one score with the fake field goal, and fumbled away another but we handed them three scores by letting Jake play and by dropping the punt snap. 

The only thing that worries me is that Ole Miss, Arkansas, anybody we play is going to run right at Jake and he's going to dance backwards or sideways every time.  There has to be another option.  All of their big back-breaking runs were partially his fault.
I think the other option is to bring the safties down and crowd the line. When CEJ started doing that in the 2nd half, Hill was held to 11 carries for 32 yards. I hope like hell thats the gameplan when we travel to Arky. Trust me as shitty as our MLBs can be, they are far more shitty when the FB and TB are sprinting through a 5 yard hole right at them. And though I thought the D-line played alot better in the 2nd half, imo, until they can start holding their gaps better we are gonna have to pressure more early in games.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2013, 04:37:52 PM »
After the way they just struggled against North Texas? No longer counting UGA as a guaranteed loss.
This is true. It's just we know they won't approach Auburn the same way.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2013, 05:07:18 PM »
I think the other option is to bring the safties down and crowd the line. When CEJ started doing that in the 2nd half, Hill was held to 11 carries for 32 yards. I hope like hell thats the gameplan when we travel to Arky. Trust me as shitty as our MLBs can be, they are far more shitty when the FB and TB are sprinting through a 5 yard hole right at them. And though I thought the D-line played alot better in the 2nd half, imo, until they can start holding their gaps better we are gonna have to pressure more early in games.
THIS! We don't match up physically against our SEC opponents. And I don't know why we open with a rope a dope strategy in the first half hoping we don't get gashed.   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2013, 05:38:09 PM »
Giving up 439 yards per game.  2nd worst in the SeC.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2013, 06:09:04 PM »
If you're trying to get Likes, you worded this all wrong. Do you just not care?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

GH2001

« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2013, 07:12:47 PM »

Shit sandwich.

Chocolate cake.

One won't turn into the other overnight.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

DnATL

• Xcrement talker
« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2013, 07:24:20 PM »
Shit sandwich.

Chocolate cake.

One won't turn into the other overnight.
Actually, it can but it only works one way
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2013, 09:47:10 PM »
On a positive note...N M is ahead of Chris Todd statistically v. common SEC opponents as a starter.
Chris went 3-5 / 8-5 so there's that.

-cfb stats
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2013, 11:57:35 PM »
Ok...I'm all over that sentiment, IF we match up physically.   

Auburn on 3rd down, from the play by play:

3rd and 1 at AUB 45 Cameron Artis-Payne rush for 5 yards to the 50 yard line for a 1ST down.

3rd and 7 at LSU 47 Nick Marshall rush for 6 yards to the LSU 41.  (Was this a designed run, or a scramble?)

3rd and 9 at AUB 26 Nick Marshall pass incomplete.

3rd and 1 at AUB 34 Cameron Artis-Payne rush for no gain to the Aub 34. (Rushing on 3rd and short is a different animal than rushing on 1st and 10)

3rd and 2 at AUB 30 Nick Marshall pass incomplete to Brandon Fulse.  (Don't specifically recall this play...what type of call was it?  Safe pass that should have been completed?  Bomb?  We were down 14-0, and on our own 30)

3rd and 10 at LSU 47 Nick Marshall rush for 5 yards to the LSU 42.  (We were in 4 down territory, and failed to convert the following down)

3rd and 4 at AUB 38 Nick Marshall pass incomplete to Marcus Davis.  (down 21 to 0, on our on 38)

3rd and 3 at LSU 49 Tre Mason rush for no gain to the LSU 49.  (Again, 3rd and short is different from 1st and 10)  If I remember right didn't he try to go wide?

3rd and 2 at LSU 42 Nick Marshall pass complete to Sammie Coates for 14 yards to the LSU 28 for a 1ST down.  (Down 21 early 3rd Q)

3rd and 1 at LSU 19 Tre Mason rush for 17 yards to the LSU 2 for a 1ST down.

3rd and 5 at AUB 30 Nick Marshall pass incomplete.  (Down 28-7 Mid 3rd Q, from our own 30)

3rd and 5 at AUB 32 Nick Marshall pass complete to Marcus Davis for 11 yards to the Aub 43 for a 1ST down.

3rd and Goal at LSU 2 Tre Mason rush for 2 yards for a TOUCHDOWN.

3rd and 9 at AUB 15 Nick Marshall rush for 5 yards to the Aub 20.   (down 35-14 early 4th Q)

3rd and 12 at AUB 10 Nick Marshall pass complete to Marcus Davis for 10 yards to the Aub 20.

3rd and 1 at AUB 33 Tre Mason rush for 2 yards to the Aub 35 for a 1ST down.

3rd and Goal at LSU 17 Nick Marshall pass incomplete to Marcus Davis.

9 plays on 3rd and 4 or less.  6 Rushing attempts.  4 conversions.  Taking in to account the score and game situation, I think Gus generally agrees with your sentiment while at the same time not wanting to be totally predictable, and takes calculated risks when needed. 

We're outmanned vs LSU, bammer, and UGA.  Gus, like any play caller is not flawless, but I don't think that's anywhere near the top of the lists of reasons we don't win that game last night.  Not even in the top 10.

It's definitely in the top ten. 

Blah, blah, blah outmanned.  Blah.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
« Reply #39 on: September 23, 2013, 03:16:12 AM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.