Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

History of The Eagles

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
History of The Eagles
« on: September 19, 2013, 06:45:56 AM »
Insomina. Curse of the aged.

So I watched History of The Eagles.  Essentially a three-hour episode of Behind the Music. Didn't learn much that I didn't already know, but the soundtrack was good.  Overriding theme was that Glenn Frey's ego couldn't co exist with Don Felder (or was it Don Felder's ego couldn't exist with Glenn Frey?).  So many of the same concepts that keep Paul and Gene (Don and Glenn) from being able to work consistently with Ace and Peter (Bernie, Don and Randy).   Same reasons Axl can't work with Duff and Slash.  Same reason Sting and Andy Summers can't be in the same room. Why Simon Lebon, Andy Taylor and Roger Taylor don't play well together.  And Vince vs. Nikki. And Bret vs. Poison.  It's such a common story. 

Not just related to music, though.  Made me think of the guy I started my business with 15 years and how good we did at first when it was just us and we were struggling every day to keep the lights on and focus on the projects. The more successful we were the more our individual faults were maximized, the easier it became to get caught up in the "me" aspect of it.  Me. I did this, not you. And how that success corrupted him to the point that he lost perspective and the "life" started to matter more than the work.  Eventually we couldn't work together. One of us had to go.  We were really good friends when we started. Like a brother to me. Now? We can't even be friends.  Too much resentful water under too many bridges.  Weird. 

I didn't know that Glenn and Don first worked together as musicians in Linda Rondstadt's band. Then decided to start their own.

What I did re-learn was how absolutely sexy Ronstadt was in the late 70s.  Not now, of course she's all swole up.  She's not what you'd call the most beautiful woman in the world even then but she radiated and innocent sexiness. For me, though? Just the raw sexiness of her resonates for now and always.  Incredible. I remember her this way. 

I wonder if this is how the 14-year old of today will remember Selena Gomez or Demi Lovato in 2048?
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 09:43:36 AM by Kaos »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

oldautiger

• Resident Old Fart
Re: History of The Eagles
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2013, 10:45:46 AM »
Loved to have seen that, have also heard Felder couldn't exist with Don Henley 's ego. 
Something I read about in an interview with Felder, was that he was still upset with Henley not forgiving him (Felder) saying something like "He (Henley) should practice what he sings about, forgiveness"
Randy Meisner couldn't deal with the schedule and dropped out.  Can't provide a link, just what I heard, or read or something.
Those guys harmonized so damn good together, really miss them performing together

Agree with you on Linda Ronstadt, she was a mega babe in those days.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 10:47:48 AM by oldautiger »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard, grow big, wear glasses of you need 'em." - Webb Wilder

"Auburn is no Harvard, M.I.T. or Alabama - Thank GOD for small favors" - Anonymous

I can't recommend sex, drugs and rock 'n roll to everybody, but they've worked for me. - Me

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2013, 10:53:03 AM »
Loved to have seen that, have also heard Felder couldn't exist with Don Henley 's ego. 
Something I read about in an interview with Felder, was that he was still upset with Henley not forgiving him (Felder) saying something like "He (Henley) should practice what he sings about, forgiveness"
Randy Meisner couldn't deal with the schedule and dropped out.  Can't provide a link, just what I heard, or read or something.
Those guys harmonized so damn good together, really miss them performing together

It's running on Showtime. 

Frey really set himself up as the jackass when it came to Felder.  Didn't seem to be much in the way of conflict between Henley and Felder just based on what the film portrayed.  It was Frey's massive ego that was the problem.  Showed some real animosity. 

According to this piece Meisner quit because he couldn't hit the notes any more and was afraid to do the songs. 

They played up the new stuff from Hell Freezes Over and Long Road To Eden towards the end of the film, but those albums seemed to me to be watered down imitations of the band.  I had particular distaste for Eden.  It was, to me, a bad album from start to finish. Listened once and won't ever again.  I think I tossed the CD out the window.

Sort of like Psycho Circus, Monster and Sonic Boom.  Yeah, they are KISS albums but they're just.... almost fake.  Magic usually only happens once and you can't go back and manufacture it.   

And before I forget, there's still this:

I love the 70s
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 11:09:00 AM by Kaos »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

oldautiger

• Resident Old Fart
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2013, 11:07:11 AM »
Thanks, I just set the DVR to record it. Will check it out.
Too bad egos get in the way sometimes, broken up a lot of great bands (Beatles and Pink Floyd) come to mind.  I never expected to see Roger Watters and David Gilmour in the same city together, but they seem to have come to an agreement.  Each one of them has sat in with the other in concerts.  Whether they will ever record together again, don't know.
Back to the Eagles, personally I like "Hotel California" and "On the Border" two of the best.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard, grow big, wear glasses of you need 'em." - Webb Wilder

"Auburn is no Harvard, M.I.T. or Alabama - Thank GOD for small favors" - Anonymous

I can't recommend sex, drugs and rock 'n roll to everybody, but they've worked for me. - Me

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2013, 11:23:42 AM »
Thanks, I just set the DVR to record it. Will check it out.
Too bad egos get in the way sometimes, broken up a lot of great bands (Beatles and Pink Floyd) come to mind.  I never expected to see Roger Watters and David Gilmour in the same city together, but they seem to have come to an agreement.  Each one of them has sat in with the other in concerts.  Whether they will ever record together again, don't know.
Back to the Eagles, personally I like "Hotel California" and "On the Border" two of the best.

Hotel California one of the best songs of all time. 

I like odd ones from their catalog:

Those Shoes
Wasted Time

It's pretty amazing when you think of it.  They did an album a year from 1972 to 1976, one more in 1979 (which I still remember going to the store to get on 8-Track so I could play it as loud as possible in my Mustang) and then one more feeble effort in 2007.  But that's their entire original catalog.  Six good albums, one throwaway.  Tons of fantastic songwriting, though compressed into that little space of time.

Some truly amazing and enduring albums came out between 1978 and 1980.  Pink Floyd The Wall,  KISS Destroyer, Michael Jackson Off the Wall, Supertramp Breakfast in America, The Cars, The Clash London Calling, Ozzy Blizzard of Ozz... tons more.  Nothing today compares.  Katy Perry? Pretty girl but she doesn't have the pipes of the one below.

And this, of course, I like this.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2013, 11:28:28 AM »
Saw The Eagles a few years ago in Atlanta.  Damn fine show. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2013, 11:37:54 AM »
Saw The Eagles a few years ago in Atlanta.  Damn fine show.

I slept outside the ticket office on a night it got down to 15 degrees to get tickets to the Hell Freezes Over Tour back in 94 or 95.  This was pre-Internet days when people actually camped out for tickets.  And I still barely got any.  Most expensive tickets (at the time) I'd ever purchased for anything.

I was really, really disappointed, honestly.  They just sat on stools and sang.  And they played Hotel California in the HFO sorta Mexicany way very early in the set.  Like the second or third song maybe. 

Don't know what I expected, but watching them just sit there and sing with virtually no interaction with the audience wasn't it.  Saw them once, can say I did but have zero interest in ever going again.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2013, 11:53:03 AM »
I slept outside the ticket office on a night it got down to 15 degrees to get tickets to the Hell Freezes Over Tour back in 94 or 95.  This was pre-Internet days when people actually camped out for tickets.  And I still barely got any.  Most expensive tickets (at the time) I'd ever purchased for anything.

I was really, really disappointed, honestly.  They just sat on stools and sang.  And they played Hotel California in the HFO sorta Mexicany way very early in the set.  Like the second or third song maybe. 

Don't know what I expected, but watching them just sit there and sing with virtually no interaction with the audience wasn't it.  Saw them once, can say I did but have zero interest in ever going again.

It was either 2 or 3 years ago we saw them at an outdoor venue in Atlanta.  They did what I assume was their full show with video backdrop, lighting effects etc.  Still wasn't a big "stage show" and they weren't exactly jumping around the stage, with the exception of Glen Frey on a couple of songs.  The concert was fantastic from the standpoint of every song being another in a long line of hits.  You knew every word to every song.  The best part of the entire thing was watching Joe Walsh.  Very animated individual.   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2013, 03:17:06 PM »
How about Frey and Henley can't co exist with each other or anyone else.

Same with Mike Love. Same with Eddie Van Halen.  Egomaniacs. Always will be.

Hotel California is one of the most overrated overplayed songs in history. From a musical perspective not even one of their more technical songs. Mystic, multi meaning, deep? Sure. So much of the music in it is cliche. Screw Don Henley.

Joe Walsh was the most talent that band will ever have seen. Plus he's a shit ton cooler.

Somehow I thought this thread was going to be about Vince Papali, Dick Vermeil and 0 Super Bowls.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 03:19:16 PM by GH2001 »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2013, 04:20:48 PM »

Hotel California is one of the most overrated overplayed songs in history. From a musical perspective not even one of their more technical songs. Mystic, multi meaning, deep? Sure. So much of the music in it is cliche. Screw Don Henley.

Joe Walsh was the most talent that band will ever have seen. Plus he's a shoot ton cooler.

Somehow I thought this thread was going to be about Vince Papali, richard Vermeil and 0 Super Bowls.
They were good but I don't think they were ever able to recover to their previous form after Elvis left the group, imo.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2013, 04:59:59 PM »

Joe Walsh was the most talent that band will ever have seen. Plus he's a shoot ton cooler.

Somehow I thought this thread was going to be about Vince Papali, richard Vermeil and 0 Super Bowls.

I like Hotel California.  Pffftttt on "technical"  Who gives a !@$#&?  If it's "technical" you're looking for go listen to Yingwig Mothstien or whatever his name is. 

Sounds good.  That's the test.  And Hotel California sounds good. 

Walsh?  Eh. Talk about overrated. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2013, 05:21:45 PM »
I like Hotel California.  Pffftttt on "technical"  Who gives a !@$#&?  If it's "technical" you're looking for go listen to Yingwig Mothstien or whatever his name is. 

Sounds good.  That's the test.  And Hotel California sounds good. 

Walsh?  Eh. Talk about overrated.

Gotta' agree here. 

On Walsh, I'm not really that big on many of his songs and can only take so much of his voice.  Although Rocky Mountain Way and Life's Been Good always kick ass.  But, in their concert, he was the one performer up there that was fun to watch.  Great guitar player and animated is the only way I know to describe him.   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2013, 05:28:06 PM »
Can we get back to Ronstadt?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

oldautiger

• Resident Old Fart
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2013, 06:10:50 PM »
I'm all for that
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2013, 08:25:41 PM »

Yes.

Agree with you there.

Stevie Nicks too.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2013, 07:08:39 AM »
Yes.

Agree with you there.

Stevie Nicks too.

And the Wilson sisters.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

GH2001

« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2013, 08:18:24 AM »
And the Wilson sisters.

Although nowadays ill have to say Stevie is the only one of all those who isn't 400 lbs.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2013, 08:24:49 AM »
Although nowadays ill have to say Stevie is the only one of all those who isn't 400 lbs.

Nancy Wilson is the pick of that litter.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2013, 09:27:30 AM »
Is 400 lbs. a disqualifier? Why? Big gals have lower expectations and like to please. That's a nice combo.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2013, 11:08:02 AM »
Fingers Feldman's book was a great read, he grew up with Stephen Stills. He would give guitar lessons when the Eagles were on break. He thought one of his students tommy petty had a lot of talent. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.