Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Hobby LobbyClosing Stores?

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
Hobby LobbyClosing Stores?
« on: August 23, 2013, 08:15:48 AM »
I haven't verified this, but interesting...

Hobby Lobby Founder-May Close ALL Stores

The wisdom that comes from above is, first, pure, then peaceable, gentle, open to reason, full of mercy and good fruits, without uncertainty or insincerity. James 3:17

By David Green, the founder and CEO of Hobby Lobby Stores, Inc.

When my family and I started our company 40 years ago, we were working out of a garage on a $600 bank loan, assembling miniature picture frames.. Our first retail store wasn't much bigger than most people's living rooms, but we had faith that we would succeed if we lived and worked according to God's word.

From there, Hobby Lobby has become one of the nation's largest arts and crafts retailers, with more than 500 locations in 41 states. Our children grew up into fine business leaders, and today we run Hobby Lobby together, as a family.

We're Christians, and we run our business on Christian principles. I've always said that the first two goals of our business are (1) to run our business in harmony with God's laws, and (2) to focus on people more than money. And that's what we've tried to do. We close early so our employees can see their families at night. We keep our stores closed on Sundays, one of the week's biggest shopping days, so that our workers and their families can enjoy a day of rest.

We believe that it is by God's grace that Hobby Lobby has endured, and he has blessed us and our employees. We've not only added jobs in a weak economy, we've raised wages for the past four years in a row. Our full-time employees start at 80% above minimum wage.

But now, our government threatens to change all of that.

A new government healthcare mandate says that our family business MUST provide what I believe are abortion-causing drugs as part of our health insurance. Being Christians, we don't pay for drugs that might cause abortions, which means that we don't cover emergency contraception, the morning-after pill or the week-after pill. We believe doing so might end a life after the moment of conception, something that is contrary to our most important beliefs.
It goes against the Biblical principles on which we have run this company since day one.

If we refuse to comply, we could face $1.3 million PER DAY in government fines.
Our government threatens to fine job creators in a bad economy.
Our government threatens to fine a company that's raised wages four years running.
Our government threatens to fine a family for running its business according to its beliefs. It's not right. I know people will say we ought to follow the rules; that it's the same for everybody. But that's not true.
The government has exempted thousands of companies from this mandate, for reasons of convenience or cost. But it won't exempt them for reasons of religious belief.

So, Hobby Lobby and my family are forced to make a choice. With great reluctance, we filed a lawsuit today, represented by the Becket Fund for Religious Liberty, asking a federal court to stop this mandate before it hurts our business. We don't like to go running into court, but we no longer have a choice. We believe people are more important than the bottom line and that honoring God is more important than turning a profit.

My family has lived the American dream. We want to continue growing our company and providing great jobs for thousands of employees, but the government is going to make that much more difficult.
The government is forcing us to choose between following our faith and following the law. I say that's a choice no American and no American business should have to make.

The government cannot force you to follow laws that go against your fundamental religious belief. They have exempted thousands of companies but will not except Christianorganizations including the Catholic church.

Since you will not see this in the liberal media, please pass this on to all your contacts.
Sincerely,
David Green
CEO and Founder of Hobby Lobby Stores, Inc.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
Re: Hobby LobbyClosing Stores?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2013, 09:38:51 AM »
 :kimclap:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2013, 10:21:29 AM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2013, 10:32:03 AM »
That's a great business plan.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2013, 11:45:12 AM »
That's a great business plan.

Yeah...that shit will never work.

Signed,

S. Truett Cathy
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2013, 12:03:46 PM »
Then close them.

Nothing changes until the consumer and the voter are directly affected.  You really want people to change their minds about how they vote?  About who they vote for?  About what influences them to vote?

Hit them in their convenience.

I've said before that we've reached a standard of living that is unsustainable in the long term and that we've reached a standard of living that can be abused by politicians. 

Start to tarnish cheap enjoyable shopping, affordable smartphones, sports, and entertainment and you'll see a vast improvement in the long term of the country. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2013, 12:08:41 PM »
Then close them.

Nothing changes until the consumer and the voter are directly affected.  You really want people to change their minds about how they vote?  About who they vote for?  About what influences them to vote?

Hit them in their convenience.

I've said before that we've reached a standard of living that is unsustainable in the long term and that we've reached a standard of living that can be abused by politicians. 

Start to tarnish cheap enjoyable shopping, affordable smartphones, sports, and entertainment and you'll see a vast improvement in the long term of the country.

Just guessing on this, but don't be shocked if this federal Gubment would step in on a business who says they are closing because of Obamacare.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2013, 12:18:12 PM »
Just guessing on this, but don't be shocked if this federal Gubment would step in on a business who says they are closing because of Obamacare.

How would they step in? 

Force them to stay open?  Take over the business and take all the profits for themselves?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

RWS

• The guy your mother warned you about
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2013, 12:23:27 PM »
I think that letter is somewhat older, but it is real.  I think that since that was written, Hobby Lobby actually won their appeal in court for a temporary injunction.  They won't face fines or penalties while a lower court decides on their actual case. 
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 12:26:37 PM by RWS »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2013, 12:29:19 PM »
How would they step in? 

Force them to stay open?  Take over the business and take all the profits for themselves?

Well, the did prop up GM and Chrysler and forced the CEO of GM to resign. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2013, 01:48:54 PM »
This guy is making a moral decision that has already likely cost his business a lot of money. I admire him for sticking up for his beliefs, but in no way do I believe that the courts or Obama will give in. Constituional rights and freedom are only upheld when it's convenient.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2013, 01:49:29 PM »
How would they step in? 

Would you put it past this group?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2013, 02:05:49 PM »
Yeah...that shit will never work.

Signed,

S. Truett Cathy
So He threatened to close all the Chik-fil-a's?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

AUTailgatingRules

• Home of the Tailgate
  • By the Pink Dumpster since 2004
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2013, 03:06:00 PM »
So He threatened to close all the Chik-fil-a's?

Here's the problem.  Dude that owns Hobby Lobby, Already rich enough to be set for a couple lifetimes.  He does not NEED to keep the business open.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions