Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Jammed Rifle

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
Re: Jammed Rifle
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2013, 11:40:59 AM »
Thanks for the tip!  I was thinking about having it converted to a pump action, as the manual loading action would be less likely to jam.  However, I don't hunt or otherwise do long range shooting (at least not yet), so converting the gun for reliability's sake may not be worthwhile at this point.  Plus the gas-operated reloading is more efficient if it works correctly.  Not to mention that I don't even know if it's jammed, I just assumed that was the reason it was put away loaded and left to sit for years.

I'll probably be a little more strict about cleaning it than my dad was, especially if I don't fire it often.  My dad hunted deer fairly frequently years ago, so he may have just been lazy about cleaning it after every use, whereas I won't be using it as much and cleaning it after every use wouldn't be such a pain for me.  So if frequent cleaning and loading of the magazine like you suggested solves the (potential) jamming issue, then I probably won't convert it to a pump action.

Why even bother? If you want a pump, they are cheap. If you want a gun your dad has used, then fix it for old times sake. Or sell it to me for a $100.

If you are just target shooting and gun jams, you just cycle it. I have never heard of one of these jamming shut. Mostly just mis-feeds or misfires that are referred to erroneously as a jam.

Once you get the action free and cleaned up, you should be fine.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

Vandy Vol

• Bitches ain't shit but hos and tricks.
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2013, 06:36:08 PM »
Any suggestions on how long to let the Break Free do its work?  Just sprayed a shit ton in the action, around the magazine, and inside the rifle butt's screw hole (insert buttsecks joke here), but there's still no movement.

This shit smells horrendous, so if it doesn't work, I'm not sure what else will.  Just tried the Break Free Powder Blast, but I also picked up a can of Break Free CLP.  The CLP seems to be a combination of cleaner, lubricant, and preservative, so I figured I'd try the Powder Blast first, as it seems to be just a cleaner/solvent.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." - Dean Martin

Vandy Vol

« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2013, 07:43:40 PM »
On closer inspection, I don't think this is a rust issue.  It looks like there is a bullet that didn't completely load.  It is just slightly above the next bullet in the magazine, but looks like it is more to the side of that bullet and is catching the lip of the magazine.  This would explain why the action isn't working, as it can't move back with the bullet in the way caught on the magazine...if that makes sense.

I don't really see why the magazine would not come out because of this.  Also, I have no fucking clue why the screw on the forearm won't budge so that I can break the damn thing down to try and unload/unjam it from the inside.

This was the best picture I could get given the small space that you can see into the chamber:

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." - Dean Martin

Pell City Tiger

• Moral Highlander
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2013, 09:16:14 PM »
Any suggestions on how long to let the Break Free do its work?
I'm no gunsmith, but I'd say until it breaks free.  :rimshot:

Seriously though, leaving it on for a day wouldn't hurt. After this period of time, check it to see if it did the trick. If you notice movement, give it another shot and try it again the following morning.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I stood up, unzipped my pants, lowered my shorts and placed my bare ass on the window. That's the last thing I wanted those people to see of me."

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2013, 06:44:01 AM »
The powder blast stuff has no value except if you are shooting a lot of black powder and are not going to be able to clean you gun for an extended period of time. 

I'll look at it next weekend if you don't have it sorted out yet by then.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2013, 10:15:59 AM »
On closer inspection, I don't think this is a rust issue.  It looks like there is a bullet that didn't completely load.  It is just slightly above the next bullet in the magazine, but looks like it is more to the side of that bullet and is catching the lip of the magazine.  This would explain why the action isn't working, as it can't move back with the bullet in the way caught on the magazine...if that makes sense.

I don't really see why the magazine would not come out because of this.  Also, I have no fudgeing clue why the screw on the forearm won't budge so that I can break the damn thing down to try and unload/unjam it from the inside.

This was the best picture I could get given the small space that you can see into the chamber:

Regarding the forearm screw...  If I remember right from way back when I mounted a sling swivel to that screw those things are torqued down and loctited on from the factory like you would not believe.  I had to take mine to a smith to get him to put it in his vise and use some special tool to get it off.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You meet a man on the Oregon Trail. He tells you his name is Terry. You laugh and tell him: "That's a girl's name!" Terry shoots you. You have died of dissin' Terry.

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2013, 10:35:30 AM »
OK. OK. I hear ya! $110?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

Vandy Vol

« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2013, 02:14:51 PM »
The powder blast stuff has no value except if you are shooting a lot of black powder and are not going to be able to clean you gun for an extended period of time. 

I'll look at it next weekend if you don't have it sorted out yet by then.

I got the CPL as well, but tried the Powder Blast first.  However, upon taking a closer look at the inside, I don't think it's a rust issue.  I couldn't get a good enough angle for the picture, but I can see that the partially chambered bullet is hung up on the edge/lip of the magazine.  It just didn't make it all the way out of the magazine and into the chamber, so the action can't pull back because the bullet is stopping it.

Would this cause the magazine not to come out?  I've never unloaded the magazine on this gun, but I know where the release mechanism is at; it just won't do anything.

Regarding the forearm screw...  If I remember right from way back when I mounted a sling swivel to that screw those things are torqued down and loctited on from the factory like you would not believe.  I had to take mine to a smith to get him to put it in his vise and use some special tool to get it off.

That would explain it.  I thought maybe getting a larger flathead would give me a little more torque, but if the factory screws and loctites it in, then I may have to take it in to a gunsmith.

However, there is a sling swivel on the screw, so unless they came standard on some models, I would assume my dad had taken it apart at some point to install the swivel.  Unless he had someone else install the swivel and they also tightened the screw like a mofo.  But then again, I have a hard time believing my dad had not taken the gun apart at some point in time to clean it, and he wouldn't have gone to this extreme to tighten the screw after putting it back together.

But given that there's no rust that I can see externally or internally, I also have a hard time believing that it would be anything other than extreme torque that's holding the screw in.  Maybe the gun jammed on him pretty early on and he never actually cleaned the thing, therefore never taking the screw off?  I have no clue...he's passed and my mom doesn't know diddly about what he did or didn't do with his guns.

OK. OK. I hear ya! $110?

To repair, restore, and clean it for me?  Deal!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2013, 02:22:27 PM »
I'll say it again...please don't shoot yourself.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2013, 04:06:02 PM »
I'll say it again...please don't shoot yourself.

Actually...... If this thing is loaded and you can't unchamber the round, I would be taking it to a gunsmith myself to get it fixed.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You meet a man on the Oregon Trail. He tells you his name is Terry. You laugh and tell him: "That's a girl's name!" Terry shoots you. You have died of dissin' Terry.

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2013, 04:31:31 PM »
PSA

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Vandy Vol

« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2013, 11:20:18 PM »
Actually...... If this thing is loaded and you can't unchamber the round, I would be taking it to a gunsmith myself to get it fixed.

I'm probably going to have to wind up doing that, but if I could get the forearm screw out to disassemble it, then I could get it unloaded.  Afterall, this is what a gunsmith would do...I don't see any other way to unload a gun that won't cycle due to a bullet being halfway out of the magazine.

The round isn't chambered (as it's not even completely out of the magazine), the safety is on, and the action can't move due to the bullet's location, so the rifle randomly firing is the least of my worries.  It's always a worry when you're working with a loaded gun, of course, but when the bullet jammed in there like this 20+ years ago and sat in a closet ever since then, it's a very low likelihood that the thing is going to randomly fire.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2013, 11:55:53 PM »

Look down the barrel and tell me what you see.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Vandy Vol

« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2013, 12:05:37 AM »
Look down the barrel and tell me what you see.

Nothing as of right now, but in a few seconds I might see a bright white light...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions