Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

New Era

JR4AU

Re: New Era
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2013, 02:00:46 PM »
I think we will win 10 games.

Unless we don't.

In all seriousness, I think this season will depend full on how quick Malzahn and starting QB get into sync. The starting QB does not ave ot be a world-beater, but the CGM needs to figure out quickly how to coach around his weaknesses. If that happens quickly, we can be a very competitive team. If CGM is till trying to figure that out by game 6, we are in deep doo-doo.

My opinion...we're going to be much improved in terms of fundamentals, attitude, conditioning, and all the things you can coach.  I think we win 4 non-conf. games.  Swing games will be MSU, Ole Miss, Ark., and UT.  If any of those are much improved or better than expected, then we lose.  If we find any QB play, we might win all 4 and have an 8 win season.  Fact is, we're at the MSU or Ole Miss level talent-wise right now.   If we win those 8, then Malzahn has accomplished all that can be expected of this group.  In doing so, though, I hope to see the improvement in the areas I mentioned above.  If that is happening, then the future is bright, just not the immediate future.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

ssgaufan

• WDE!!!
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2013, 02:04:29 PM »
My opinion...we're going to be much improved in terms of fundamentals, attitude, conditioning, and all the things you can coach.  I think we win 4 non-conf. games.  Swing games will be MSU, Ole Miss, Ark., and UT.  If any of those are much improved or better than expected, then we lose.  If we find any QB play, we might win all 4 and have an 8 win season.  Fact is, we're at the MSU or Ole Miss level talent-wise right now.   If we win those 8, then Malzahn has accomplished all that can be expected of this group.  In doing so, though, I hope to see the improvement in the areas I mentioned above.  If that is happening, then the future is bright, just not the immediate future.

Gotta disagree with the bold part.  I don't remember seeing either of those teams in the final top 5 or 10 of the past few recruiting classes.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2013, 02:06:31 PM »

I like their hats
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

JR4AU

« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2013, 02:13:13 PM »
Gotta disagree with the bold part.  I don't remember seeing either of those teams in the final top 5 or 10 of the past few recruiting classes.

My opinion, based on what I've seen with my own eyes, and from hearing other coaches comment on what they're looking at "on the hoof" at Auburn.  Different version of the same comment your making..."I just don't see where the recruiting services got top 10 talent out of what I see here".  How does that happen?  Don't know, but it appears, to the eye, to be just that.   

More opinion: a very talented team can free lance their way to 9 or 10 wins despite coaching.  See Les Miles and LSU for reference. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2013, 08:01:03 PM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2013, 02:05:06 AM »

Going off of that practice video I see the starting OL as....

1st String:
LT - Greg Robinson
LG - Alex Kozan
C - Reese Dismukes
RG - Chad Slade
RT - Avery Young

2nd String:
LT - Robert Leff
LG - Devonte Danzey
C - Tunde Fariukuieue
RG - Jordan Diamond
RT - Shon Coleman
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2013, 09:35:23 AM »

I think it will be very similar to dye and tubs first years. They'll play their hearts out and be much improved but the fact is they are behind the 8 ball as compared to the top 5 sec teams right now. It will be a good foundation building year which is what most of these players need. They need to learn how to play football and again and a get few quality wins.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

djsimp

« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2013, 11:17:30 AM »
http://www.auburntigers.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/080513aae.html

Senior Chris Davis says he's working hard to be a team leader

AUBURN, Ala. – Almost from the time he arrived last December, Auburn football coach Gus Malzahn has called for team leaders to step forward.

And he said Sunday, after the third practice of preseason camp, that he’s seeing some of them do it under difficult circumstances.

“We are straining them,” Malzahn said. “It’s hard to be real vocal when we are practicing at the pace we are. (Center) Reese Dismukes and (H-back) Jay Prosch on offense are still vocal. Of course, Justin Garrett. I think those guys in the back end, like Chris Davis. There are some really good leaders there, too.”

Davis, a senior cornerback, said he has made a strong effort to be a leader for his teammates in the way he saw T’Sharvan Bell do it last season.

“It’s been a good transition after watching T-Bell lead the team last year,” Davis said. “I sat back and learned from him. He’s a very vocal leader and leads by example. I think it’s been a good thing for me. It’s just leading by example, getting the team riled up, just the energy in the room.”
-- Phillip Marshall

At 244 pounds, Frost stands strong at MLB
Kris Frost toyed with the idea of playing receiver in college, but Auburn always saw him as a linebacker. He's grown into the role, now at a solid 238 pounds after reporting in 2011 at 215 for what was a redshirt season. He's gained five pounds since last season.

Frost left spring practice as the No. 1 middle linebacker.
-- Charles Goldberg

Moving around on the offensive line

Malzahn said offensive line coach J.B. Grimes continues to look at different combinations.

“Coach Grimes is trying to rotate some guys in and give them a chance, too,” Malzahn said. “We’ll have a chance to have some depth, which is always good. We are just trying to figure out who they are and how they stack up.”

Sophomore Pat Miller, the returning starter, has been sharing reps at right tackle with sophomore Avery Young and redshirt freshman Shon Coleman.

“Pat left spring in that spot and is doing a solid job,” Malzahn said. “Avery is a very good player. Shon Coleman we’ve been mixing and matching at left and right tackle. I know the first day or so it looked like they were all at right.”
-- Phillip Marshall

Davis wants to return kicks

Davis has worked as a kick returner during the first three days of practice and hopes to get a chance to do it at gametime.

“I hope so,” Davis said. “That’s my plan. I think I’m doing well, real well. I’m just going to keep going out there trying to do what I can do to win the job.”
-- Phillip Marshall

Smith wins over the cornerbacks

Auburn’s cornerbacks didn’t know Melvin Smith when he arrived last December, but Davis says Smith has won them over in a big way.

“He’s a very exciting, bright man,” Davis said. “He keeps us laughing in the meeting room. He’s very funny. We love to play for a guy like him.”
-- Phillip Marshall

Bits and pieces …

True freshman Mackenro Alexander has made a big impression with his work ethic and determination. He is playing the Star position behind Garrett and Robenson Therezie. … Tuesday, the Tigers will wear full gear for the first time. Wednesday, they’ll go to Jordan-Hare Stadium for a scrimmage … Davis says Auburn cornerbacks have had their hands on a lot of passes during the camp … Safety Demetruce McNeal sat out Sunday’s practice due to a health issue. He has not yet practiced.
-- Phillip Marshall
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2013, 01:29:41 PM »
I think it will be very similar to dye and tubs first years. They'll play their hearts out and be much improved but the fact is they are behind the 8 ball as compared to the top 5 sec teams right now. It will be a good foundation building year which is what most of these players need. They need to learn how to play football and again and a get few quality wins.

All of the folks talking about new/better attitude, wanting to win, in better shape, better coached...all true in my opinion.  You will see a positive difference there.  Those things won't help us beat clearly superior teams on our schedule.  We have 8 games that we CAN win IMHO.  I mean 8 where we play teams that are not clearly physically superior teams going in to the season.  However, even of we are improved, and play to the best of our ability, one glaring weakness remains which can help an equal, or slightly less than equal team overcome us, and that is the QB position.  It's that key.  People can distort their defense to stop the one or two things you can do if you're not a threat to hurt them in other areas.  IE, if we can't throw the ball AT ALL...we won't be able to run it nearly as effectively, even if we have blocking and a good RB.  We've all seen that. 

If the young QB shows some ability to make defenses respect his arm...then things may change.  That said, at this time, there's no team on our schedule that I think is a "good" team, but one we could beat on a good day.  Bammer, UGA aTm, and LSU are superior teams.  (LSU lost a lot, and may be overrated, yet still very talented)  Of the other 8, 4 are SEC teams, 2 with new coaches, and there's lots of unknowns there.  By the time we get to UT and Ark. things may have changed drastically for us or them. 

Auburn though, like you said, it's shaping up to be like when Dye and Tubs took over.  Lots of holes to fill, and it will take a year or 2, but we should see great improvement in the play, though the talent may prevent us from winning as many as it will take to make some folks happy. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2013, 01:54:53 PM »
All of the folks talking about new/better attitude, wanting to win, in better shape, better coached...all true in my opinion.  You will see a positive difference there.  Those things won't help us beat clearly superior teams on our schedule.  We have 8 games that we CAN win IMHO.  I mean 8 where we play teams that are not clearly physically superior teams going in to the season.  However, even of we are improved, and play to the best of our ability, one glaring weakness remains which can help an equal, or slightly less than equal team overcome us, and that is the QB position.  It's that key.  People can distort their defense to stop the one or two things you can do if you're not a threat to hurt them in other areas.  IE, if we can't throw the ball AT ALL...we won't be able to run it nearly as effectively, even if we have blocking and a good RB.  We've all seen that. 

If the young QB shows some ability to make defenses respect his arm...then things may change.  That said, at this time, there's no team on our schedule that I think is a "good" team, but one we could beat on a good day.  Bammer, UGA aTm, and LSU are superior teams.  (LSU lost a lot, and may be overrated, yet still very talented)  Of the other 8, 4 are SEC teams, 2 with new coaches, and there's lots of unknowns there.  By the time we get to UT and Ark. things may have changed drastically for us or them. 

Auburn though, like you said, it's shaping up to be like when Dye and Tubs took over.  Lots of holes to fill, and it will take a year or 2, but we should see great improvement in the play, though the talent may prevent us from winning as many as it will take to make some folks happy.
I just think there are going to be a lot of disappointed folks on this forum come November.

I see 2 sure wins in Western Carolina and FAU.  Everything else is a crapshoot.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

JR4AU

« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2013, 02:04:53 PM »
I just think there are going to be a lot of disappointed folks on this forum come November.

Yep.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2013, 02:06:09 PM »

Get thee behind me Satan.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2013, 02:09:41 PM »
Get thee behind me Satan.
Sorry my lord, I have lost the faith.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2013, 02:10:02 PM »

Gus appears to be excited...or its a bit nipply.  Did I say nipple.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2013, 02:11:44 PM »

Gus appears to be excited...or its a bit nipply.  Did I say nipple.
I sure do hope he doesn't turn into a Sandusky on us. I think he's straring at his ass.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2013, 02:12:53 PM »
I sure do hope he doesn't turn into a Sandusky on us. I think he's straring at his ass.
The boys are all over 18...it's all good.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2013, 02:13:13 PM »

Those are some big shower shoes to fill.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

djsimp

« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2013, 02:14:15 PM »

That gives a whole new meaning to HUNH.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X