djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
New Era
« on: July 28, 2013, 09:57:33 AM »
TIME NEAR FOR AUBURN FOOTBALL, GUS MALZAHN-STYLE
July 28, 2013

By Phillip Marshall
AuburnTigers.com

AUBURN, Ala. - Gus Malzahn, Auburn's fourth head football coach in 21 seasons, has spent almost eight months coaching, teaching, hiring. speaking and doing all the things head coaches do when they take new jobs.

Like those who came before him, he has done it his way.

In January of 1981, Auburn football players went to meet their new head football coach for the first time. Pat Dye waited with a message.

Auburn was going to win, he told the assembled players. Some of them, he said, would be around to enjoy it and some wouldn't be willing to pay the price of success. Randy Campbell, a sophomore quarterback, listened intently.

"He threw two guys out of the meeting because they weren't paying attention," Campbell says. "He basically proceeded to tell us that he'd won a championship at every level. He said he knew how to win and that we were going to win. He said, most of all, we weren't going to fear Alabama. That got my attention."

Once they were on the field, players who were there say it was the most difficult challenge of their lives. Players left almost every day.

"We had a lot of good guys that left, good football players," Dye says. "There can't be but one way to do it, and that was our way. The ones who stayed bought into our philosophy."

The Tigers went 5-6 in Dye's first season, but two years later, they went 11-1 and won the Southeastern Conference championship.

Similarly, Tommy Tuberville took over a team in 1999 that had won just three games the previous season. His first team, plagued by injuries, went 5-6. A year later, the Tigers were 9-2 in the regular season and played in SEC Championship Game. In Tuberville's fifth season, they were 13-0.

In 2009, Gene Chizik took over for Tuberville, who had won 85 games in 10 seasons. He won a national championship in his second season.

Last December, Malzahn stood in front of another Auburn team. Most of them knew him, because he'd been offensive coordinator just a year earlier. But he, too, had a message.

Malzahn, like Dye, told his players Auburn was going to win. And he told them there would be no patience with the off-field issues that had plagued the program for more than a year. He told them the demands would great and the rewards greater. Senior defensive end Dee Ford wanted to stand up and cheer.

"Malzahn is a no-nonsense guy," Ford says. "He came in and told us what to expect. It was the nicest way I've heard anybody say `Your first screwup you are gone.' You had to believe him, and respect it. He's not joking."

Both Dye and Malzahn took over teams coming off terribly disappointing seasons. In 1993, Terry Bowden replaced Dye, who had made Auburn football a national power again but had been through two non-winning seasons.

At every level of college football, first-year head coaches inherit unique situations.

Any new head coach faces a balancing act. He wants to create excitement among fans without raising expectations to unrealistic levels. He wants to earn the trust of his players while making it clear he won't bend with the prevailing wind.

Significant decisions have to be made. Will a coach insist on a certain offense or defense or will he hire coaches and tailor schemes to fit the players available? Will he keep coaches from the previous staff? Who will he hire, not just to coach but for other jobs crucial to building a winning program? How will he relate to the athletics director who hired him?

When Bowden took over, with NCAA sanctions looming, he didn't sense a lot of optimism.

"I meet with the players, and you don't see a lot of confidence in their eyes," says Bowden, now the head coach at Akron. "I'm thinking to myself `If I can get six wins, that will be a step up.' You don't see a lot that suggests you can get more than six wins. You try to motivate kids to do that, to go out and be better than they were before."

Bowden became the first head coach in college football to go 11-0 in his first season in Division I.

Malzahn arrived from Arkansas State with the advantage of knowing most of Auburn's players and having been involved in recruiting a significant number of them. Most of the offensive players were already familiar with his offensive scheme. He and athletics director Jay Jacobs already had a warm relationship.

But he also took over a dispirited team coming off a 3-9 season, the worst in 60 years of Auburn football. Restoring confidence was a priority. He and his coaches went about getting that done. Players say they have put the unhappiness of 2012 far behind them.

"Everybody is buying into the system and doing what the coaches say," says junior Justin Garrett, who blossomed at the hybrid Star position in defensive coordinator Ellis Johnson's scheme. "I feel like there's a big change not just in football but off the field and workouts and FCA and everything. We do it as unit."

Says Ford: "I am going into every game believing we can win it."

Friday will be another significant day for Malzahn as he begins the stretch run toward his first game as Auburn's head coach.

The offseason and summer programs were demanding. Spring practice was tough and physical. Preseason camp will be tough and physical, too.

And on Aug. 31 at Jordan-Hare Stadium, the Malzahn era of Auburn football will begin.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

Re: New Era
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2013, 02:22:16 PM »
I think Gus is exactly what Auburn Football needs to compete vs. Saban.  Today!  (This job changes people/coaches.  See Gene Chizik for reference)

I think Malzahn has all the positive traits that make Saban a great coach, and none of the personality traits that make Saban the asshole he is.  I think Malzahn is a good coach (can't call him great yet).  He knows football, and football players.  He's no-nonsense.  He's a good man too. 

I'm ready for this new era.

That said, Malzahn will be under fire by mid season.  We're not going to be good.   I believe we'll be better in terms of attitude, and conditioning, but the talent gap is just too great overall, and the lack of a QB will be a glaring weakness.  Malzahn will be blamed for not "coaching one up".  The Defense will suck, and blame will go to the "HUNH" not being conducive to defense, and Malzahn will be blamed for "not changing what he does to suit what he has". 

All fine, it comes with the job. 

I think as ugly as it will be this year, and I think it will be very ugly...that Gus arrived at just the right time.  He'll get 3-4 years he needs, and I think that during that time the power will begin to shift away from Bammer and LSU.  It simply has to.  Gus and Auburn will be poised to, and will take back the SECW. 

Unless he doesn't. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2013, 03:30:20 PM »
I think Gus is exactly what Auburn Football needs to compete vs. Saban.  Today!  (This job changes people/coaches.  See Gene Chizik for reference)

I think Malzahn has all the positive traits that make Saban a great coach, and none of the personality traits that make Saban the asshole he is.  I think Malzahn is a good coach (can't call him great yet).  He knows football, and football players.  He's no-nonsense.  He's a good man too. 

I'm ready for this new era.

That said, Malzahn will be under fire by mid season.  We're not going to be good.   I believe we'll be better in terms of attitude, and conditioning, but the talent gap is just too great overall, and the lack of a QB will be a glaring weakness.  Malzahn will be blamed for not "coaching one up".  The Defense will suck, and blame will go to the "HUNH" not being conducive to defense, and Malzahn will be blamed for "not changing what he does to suit what he has". 

All fine, it comes with the job. 

I think as ugly as it will be this year, and I think it will be very ugly...that Gus arrived at just the right time.  He'll get 3-4 years he needs, and I think that during that time the power will begin to shift away from Bammer and LSU.  It simply has to.  Gus and Auburn will be poised to, and will take back the SECW. 

Unless he doesn't.

Over under on how many fat asses in the stands will be complaining about play calling by game 3?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

JR4AU

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2013, 03:36:29 PM »
Over under on how many fat asses in the stands will be complaining about play calling by game 3?

First 3 games: Washington St., Ark. St. and MSU.  I suspect what will happen will be a false sense of security in games one and 2, followed by an ugly performance vs MSU, and a complete asswhipping by LSU the following week.  Play calling will certainly be the top of the list of complaints by by the halftime vs LSU.

Is MSU supposted to be any good?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2013, 03:40:29 PM »
First 3 games: Washington St., Ark. St. and MSU.  I suspect what will happen will be a false sense of security in games one and 2, followed by an ugly performance vs MSU, and a complete asswhipping by LSU the following week.  Play calling will certainly be the top of the list of complaints by by the halftime vs LSU.

Clear decline in talent from last year. They lost errrbody.

And it was a damn close game last year. I like our chances more than I probably reasonably should.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Six

• Leaning on a broken fence b/t past & present tense
    • My Linktree
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2013, 03:42:30 PM »

"Experts" give them the edge because of quarterback returning and the pure unknown of just how bad or better Auburn will be. Facts is facts. Until the D bows up and stops a conference team on defense, no one is sure if they can.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I'm sick of following my dreams...I'm just going to ask them where they are going and hook up with 'em later." - Mitch Hedberg

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2013, 03:45:50 PM »
Clear decline in talent from last year. They lost errrbody.

And it was a damn close game last year. I like our chances more than I probably reasonably should.
I was referring to LSU, not MSU, by the way.

MSU is supposed to be MSU. They will finish 5th or lower in the west.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2013, 03:47:51 PM »

I say game 3 because the last couple of years MSU has had a decent D. I'm just guessing our flaws will show up more noticeably against an sec defense.

And if MSU lays a dud? Then at the least I think we will def see glaring issues against LSU. And it'll be that "damned stupid play callin!".
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

The Six

• My Linktree
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2013, 03:50:20 PM »
I was referring to LSU, not MSU, by the way.

MSU is supposed to be MSU. They will finish 5th or lower in the west.

LSU will draw and quarter this team. They lost a lot but they are LOADED with talent all over the field and Les lets Chavis run that D. Their offense is where he meddles and is why they are so conservative Glenn Beck can't even identify with them.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 03:54:02 PM by TheSix »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I'm sick of following my dreams...I'm just going to ask them where they are going and hook up with 'em later." - Mitch Hedberg

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2013, 03:51:02 PM »
I say game 3 because the last couple of years MSU has had a decent D. I'm just guessing our flaws will show up more noticeably against an sec defense.

And if MSU lays a dud? Then at the least I think we will def see glaring issues against LSU. And it'll be that "damned stupid play callin!".
12-10 last year. Our worst team of all time. One of their best teams of all time. Everybody's gone.

Granted, it's in Death Valley, and last time we played there it wasn't pretty. Will tell us a lot, that's for sure.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Six

• My Linktree
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2013, 03:59:06 PM »
12-10 last year. Our worst team of all time. One of their best teams of all time. Everybody's gone.

Granted, it's in Death Valley, and last time we played there it wasn't pretty. Will tell us a lot, that's for sure.

That was the last time Auburn's defensive players looked like they gave a shit what happened on the field. After that, it was over for them. Maybe the Vandy game?

After that:

L Arkansas   7-24
L Ole Miss    20-41
L Vanderbilt  13-17
L Texas A&M 21-63
L Georgia 0-38
L Alabama 0-49

The two wins: New Mexico State (1-11) and Alabama A&M (lower division).
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2013, 04:03:02 PM »
Consider me an optimist, I'm still saying 7-8 wins. That imo would be a great season as long as the losses come with Auburn being competitive. I certainly believe the change of attitude, strength and conditioning, and coaching/player leadership will bring more w's. Outside the unknown of who is the starting QB, Auburn has talent to compete.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2013, 04:05:51 PM »
2012?

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

The Six

• My Linktree
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2013, 04:21:50 PM »
2012?

He should use that on audiences who've watched everything he's done since the first MiB.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2013, 09:58:12 PM »

Was more or less referring to the auburn offense vs lsu defense matchup. I think we will play decent vs msu and lsu. I just think both of those teams have good enough defenses to draw out the "tha play callin sucks Gus!!" Boo birds in the stands. Just be ready for it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2013, 01:50:17 AM »
I feel that the defense Ellis Johnson brings is a complement to Coach Malzahn's offense...it's not a "bend but don't break" type of defense that we've had for as long as I can remember. It's a risk taking type of defense that doesn't play 15 yards off the ball and doesn't allow offenses to dink and dunk their way down the field while holding the ball for most of the first half.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

jmar

« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2013, 05:30:48 AM »
I feel that the defense Ellis Johnson brings is a complement to Coach Malzahn's offense...it's not a "bend but don't break" type of defense that we've had for as long as I can remember. It's a risk taking type of defense that doesn't play 15 yards off the ball and doesn't allow offenses to dink and dunk their way down the field while holding the ball for most of the first half.
Neither McKinzy, Frost or *Garrett have played much so it's ridiculous to expect 60 tackles from each. We have to pare down the run yards up front by 75 or so yards or start picking passes so the offense can have its possessions.(-12 turnover margin won't cut it) The best teams run more plays statistically so we really need to be aggressive to turn it around. Maybe the JUCOs can make the difference.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2013, 06:25:01 AM »
Neither McKinzy, Frost or *Garrett have played much so it's ridiculous to expect 60 tackles from each. We have to pare down the run yards up front by 75 or so yards or start picking passes so the offense can have its possessions.(-12 turnover margin won't cut it) The best teams run more plays statistically so we really need to be aggressive to turn it around. Maybe the JUCOs can make the difference.
Who's expecting 60 tackles each? And why bring up last season's stats? We have a new style of defense, along with brand new coaches at every position. The defensive coaches have a very, very strong resume in producing the top-tier players and I don't see that changing just because of the past few years under Coach Chizik style of defense that doesn't complement a HUNH fast pace offense.

With that said, I'm excited to see what the defense will look like and I have a feeling that the new emphasis on conditioning, strength training, attitude, teaching how to properly tackle, etc., etc. will show immediately. It will show across the line of scrimmage...the areas where we've gotten shoved around for the past couple years.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

djsimp

« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2013, 10:55:50 AM »
With that said, I'm excited to see what the defense will look like and I have a feeling that the new emphasis on conditioning, strength training, attitude, teaching how to properly tackle, etc., etc. will show immediately. It will show across the line of scrimmage...the areas where we've gotten shoved around for the past couple years.

This! I fully expect to see vast improvements in Auburns D especially. I know its sad but I actually can't wait to see the D actually form tackle instead of this should bump crap that plagues CFB.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2013, 12:03:21 PM »
I think we will win 10 games.

Unless we don't.

In all seriousness, I think this season will depend full on how quick Malzahn and starting QB get into sync. The starting QB does not ave ot be a world-beater, but the CGM needs to figure out quickly how to coach around his weaknesses. If that happens quickly, we can be a very competitive team. If CGM is till trying to figure that out by game 6, we are in deep doo-doo.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.