Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Chromecast reinvents your TV for only 35 bucks

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
Chromecast reinvents your TV for only 35 bucks
« on: July 25, 2013, 10:14:13 AM »
http://social.entertainment.msn.com/blogs/post--chromecast-reinvents-your-tv-for-only-35-bucks?ocid=ansent11

Google’s big “mystery” announcement on Wednesday turned out to be something less than mysterious, especially when leaks early in the day revealed the Internet behemoth’s plans to unveil its next-generation tablet, the Nexus 7.

For home entertainment enthusiasts, however, the most exciting development was the announcement of a 2-inch device that looks like a flash drive and is a significant step toward integrating televisions into a real cross-platform experience.

Enter the Google Chromecast.

Streaming Internet content over the living room TV has been a hit-or-miss proposition for many. Web-enabled DVD players work reasonably well with established services like Netflix or YouTube, but navigation with a remote control is akin to herding cats: a huge pain in the rear that yields lousy results. Devices like Apple TV and Roku have improved the experience, but simply getting a website to load (and finding your way around it) is maddening at best.

The Chromecast looks to simplify the experience for everyone, and if Google’s presentation is a true indication of its capabilities, be ready to turn your TV from a dumb box into something much smarter.

It will sell for only $35 and will be available this afternoon from Amazon.com, BestBuy.com and the Google Play Store. Best Buy retail stores are expected to be stocking it by July 28.

Plug the Chromecast into an HDMI slot on your TV, sync it with your Wi-Fi network and you’re ready to go. And best of all: Put away that remote control, because you won’t need it for Web content.

In a shining example of compatibility, the Chromecast will work with smartphones, tablets and laptops, whether they’re Android, iOS or Chrome OS.

Say you want to watch videos with friends on the big screen. Open YouTube on your mobile device, press the “cast” button, select your TV’s name in the network — and you’re watching. While the video is playing on the TV, you can use the phone, tablet or laptop to search other videos and set them up in a queue. (You can also check email, tweet, update Facebook status, whatever, without disrupting what’s playing, because the device connects via the cloud.) If you hook your friends into the network, they also can choose their own content to add to the queue.

Want to watch a movie from Netflix? It works the same way. Use the mobile app to choose your content, press “cast” and it’s playing on the TV. It also works with Google Play Movies & TV, as well as music apps such as Google Play Music and Pandora. The company is in the beta stage on another feature that will allow casting of Web pages from Chrome in any PC, laptop or other device.

As for the Nexus 7: The new device, which will utilize Jelly Bean 4.3, the latest iteration of the Android OS, comes with significant improvements over last year’s model. Probably the most intriguing is its resolution, as Google moves from 1280 x 800 to 1920 x 1200 true HD on a 7-inch device. It’s a major upgrade that boosts its performance with a variety of media, including streaming movies and TV, games and books. Prices range from $229 for 16GB Wi-Fi to $349 for 32GB LTE, and it will be available retail on July 30.

With more online outlets for original content in the works and providers like Amazon and Netflix snapping up every bit of TV programming they can get for streaming, expect your TV set to undergo a major transformation. Chromecast is a small investment for taking a big next step in that direction.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
Re: Chromecast reinvents your TV for only 35 bucks
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2013, 10:18:52 AM »
I think I filled the cup.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2013, 10:24:51 AM »
I think I filled the cup.

You get free refills with that?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2013, 10:39:49 AM »
Let me ask you this, Google. Will I be able to order and/or watch ESPNU without having to pay DirecTV $30 for 20 other channels I do not want? 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2013, 10:49:50 AM »
Let me ask you this, Google. Will I be able to order and/or watch ESPNU without having to pay DirecTV $30 for 20 other channels I do not want?

I think you are missing what this is.  This is wireless streaming to your television from anything that you can play on your smartphone, tablet, or pc.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2013, 11:03:29 AM »
I think you are missing what this is.  This is wireless streaming to your television from anything that you can play on your smartphone, tablet, or pc.

So if I found the game online, I could just send it to my TV without paying the cable cost?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2013, 11:07:33 AM »
So if I found the game online, I could just send it to my TV without paying the cable cost?

Pretty much
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2013, 11:19:39 AM »
I have AppleTV (which BTW just added ESPN (no more watching shitty AU basketball games on the ESPN3 on my iPad)  and HBOGO)for the main room but nothing for the bedroom. 

I was just going to order this rather then get another AppleTV for $99.  However there is a major issue with this IMO, anything you stream must be on.  So if you are streaming from your phone or tablet, make sure your battery is fully charged because once your device dies no more streaming. If I want to watch it from my laptop, I have to plug it in and have it in the bedroom to be able to control the video (ie pausing or stopping)

I may still get this, but I want to do more research.  Quite honestly I don't see a big difference between this or Roku or AppleTV.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2013, 11:25:56 AM »
BTW this is nothing new, search TV dongle and you will get numerous similar products.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2013, 12:45:37 PM »
I may still get this, but I want to do more research.  Quite honestly I don't see a big difference between this or Roku or AppleTV.

I'll be curious to see what you come up with.  This seems like the first generation of this capability and a decent price.  All the previous TV dongles I had looked at had pretty shitty specs or were quite a bit more. 

Oh and don't kid yourself, you are still going to be watching shitty Auburn basketball games.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2013, 01:34:05 PM »
Here is a link to a pretty fair review.

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7-57595350-221/chromecast-isnt-a-roku-apple-tv-killer-but-at-$35-it-doesnt-need-to-be/
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2013, 01:34:34 PM »
I'll be curious to see what you come up with.  This seems like the first generation of this capability and a decent price.  All the previous TV dongles I had looked at had pretty shitty specs or were quite a bit more. 

Oh and don't kid yourself, you are still going to be watching shitty Auburn basketball games.
Yes but I can watch shitty in 55 inches.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2013, 01:35:18 PM »
Yes but I can watch shitty in 55 inches.

Magnum shitty.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2013, 02:39:08 PM »
BTW this is nothing new, search TV dongle and you will get numerous similar products.

Dongle need food
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2013, 03:11:12 PM »
Dongle need food

Aaawwwtomobeeeelll?   Rowr, eeeerrrrrrrr, ppkkkkshhhh......
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2013, 03:33:48 PM »
Why, Fred, she's gotten her boobies.

And they're so perky!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2013, 03:54:26 PM »
He's wearing check pants and a striped shirt.

What?

No, he's not retarded.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2013, 04:38:59 PM »
I have AppleTV (which BTW just added ESPN (no more watching shitty AU basketball games on the ESPN3 on my iPad)  and HBOGO)for the main room but nothing for the bedroom. 

I was just going to order this rather then get another AppleTV for $99.  However there is a major issue with this IMO, anything you stream must be on.  So if you are streaming from your phone or tablet, make sure your battery is fully charged because once your device dies no more streaming. If I want to watch it from my laptop, I have to plug it in and have it in the bedroom to be able to control the video (ie pausing or stopping)

Dunno about apple tv but was going to say roku has much of this taken care of already. Although like you, I am interested in it. Wait n see approach for me.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2013, 12:04:31 AM »
Google is taking over the world. I'm still waiting in Google Fiber.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2013, 02:21:22 PM »
Google is taking over the world. I'm still waiting in Google Fiber.
You will be waiting awhile. They haven't even finished the test city   Kansas City.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum