Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Walking School Bus

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
Re: Walking School Bus
« Reply #60 on: July 23, 2013, 01:41:36 PM »
Sell the X Box daddy-o. 

We did those things because there WAS no X-Box.  TV was three channels.  There was no computer. If we wanted to amuse ourselves we had to do it out in the real world. 

We did a TV-free summer a couple of years ago.  Kids were PISSED at first.  But it was the best summer we've ever had.   Tried it for a week this summer when we were out of town.  Best decision ever. 

Maybe I should turn it all off again.

Ed Zachary.  All the entertainment choices are indoors.  No reason whatsoever to get dirty and sweaty playing football down at Lee Chancellor's house, where the big azalea bush was one goal line and the mailbox was the other. 

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
« Reply #61 on: July 23, 2013, 01:43:53 PM »
Show me in the constitution where the federal government has the authority to take my money and use it to "promote" your healthier eating habits??????

It may seem like just a little bit of money, but add it to the thousands upon thousands of other "just a little bit of money" projects and it adds up to some serious cash.

From the website...that probably cost all of less than $25 to build and nothing to maintain...

What is a walking school bus?

A walking school bus is a group of children walking to school with one or more adults. If that sounds simple, it is, and that’s part of the beauty of the walking school bus. It can be as informal as two families taking turns walking their children to school to as structured as a route with meeting points, a timetable and a regularly rotated schedule of trained volunteers.

A variation on the walking school bus is the bicycle train, in which adults supervise children riding their bikes to school. The flexibility of the walking school bus makes it appealing to communities of all sizes with varying needs.

The biggest crime in all of this is the need for chaperones to walk to school in the first place.  I walked/rode my bike to school from 1-5 grade and all I had for a chaperone was my older brother and all the other kids on the block.

It's a crying shame that the world is so dangerous now that we can't even let our kids walk to school by themselves

Also from that really expensive and evil one page website...

Parents often cite safety issues as one of the primary reasons they are reluctant to allow their children to walk to school. Providing adult supervision may help reduce those worries for families who live within walking or bicycling distance to school.

Again...I don't see what the big deal is...

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #62 on: July 23, 2013, 02:07:06 PM »
So a trained volunteer is trained by whom? Gubment money will be spent somewhere.

But I'm all in if they can train the volunteers to get all of the people chanting boom-chucka-lucka the whole way to school!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
« Reply #63 on: July 23, 2013, 02:15:12 PM »
So a trained volunteer is trained by whom? Gubment money will be spent somewhere.

But I'm all in if they can train the volunteers to get all of the people chanting boom-chucka-lucka the whole way to school!

Not sure how much training is needed to cross the street...but whatever...

Of all the shit to gripe about government spending...this ain't one of them...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #64 on: July 23, 2013, 02:16:21 PM »

What about the boom-chucka-lucka?

You think that is doable? I could sign off on it then.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

AUTailgatingRules

• Home of the Tailgate
  • By the Pink Dumpster since 2004
« Reply #65 on: July 23, 2013, 02:19:38 PM »
From the website...that probably cost all of less than $25 to build and nothing to maintain...

Also from that really expensive and evil one page website...

Again...I don't see what the big deal is...

I beg you to show me one federal program that has ever only cost $25.  Wait til they start running ads to promote the "walking school bus" during the next super bowl.

Hell it won't be long before there is a Czar of the walking school bus department
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #66 on: July 23, 2013, 02:20:08 PM »

Boom shaka-laka is acceptable.  Chucka-lucka has been tried already and was a huge waste of taxpayer dollars.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Token

« Reply #67 on: July 23, 2013, 02:22:29 PM »
Most cities already have crossing guards who volunteer mornings and afternoons.  It will literally cost nothing. When schools are forced to cut bus transportation and children are forced to walk to school because of a federal mandate, then we should start formings angry mobs.

Until then....Im going to stick to being pissed that I cant afford a $400,000 home in a gated community BECAUSE I make too much money, and Im not a minority.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #68 on: July 23, 2013, 02:29:35 PM »

I'm pretty sure "the roach is on the wall" will make the cut.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #69 on: July 23, 2013, 02:33:16 PM »
Boom shaka-laka is acceptable.  Chucka-lucka has been tried already and was a huge waste of taxpayer dollars.

I don't know, but I've been told
Michelle's ass is worth more than gold
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #70 on: July 23, 2013, 02:39:31 PM »
Seriously, there is so much dumb in this thread, I can't even address it all.

But I'll try.

Nice how you worded that. And yes they were via the USDA and support from ag commish Vilsack. Her program was a highly pushed mandate that most schools across the country tried....at first. And it didnt end up being nearly as radical as her original mandate which did limit what foods they could bring. The schools mandated it and most have dropped the program now. A bill in congress actually limited the powers of the ag dept to force many of these stipulations. The original plan was to also eliminate pizza TOTALLY, and limit potato products to max of twice a week.
BULL. FUCKING. SHIT.

Show me a link. There was exactly one school that tried anything like this and it had fuck all to do with the government. You are lying about this based on some Glen-Beck-Orwellian fantasy perception of the Obamas takin' our freedoms. It is not based in reality whatsoever. I don't know what else to say besides you're lying.

All of this has gone pretty far to move off of the topic of how outrageous this "human school bus" thing is to some of you. Not only have we moved on to other aspects of the FLOTUS's campaign for better child health, we've now entered fantasy science fiction accounts of the government confiscating potato chips out of kids' lunchboxes, which is so beyond absurd I seriously can't believe an adult is making that claim, and believes it to be true.

The biggest crime in all of this is the need for chaperones to walk to school in the first place.  I walked/rode my bike to school from 1-5 grade and all I had for a chaperone was my older brother and all the other kids on the block.

It's a crying shame that the world is so dangerous now that we can't even let our kids walk to school by themselves
THANKS OBAMA!!! Love to see the logic that says this is Obama's fault. Your post proves exactly that this is not some radical leftist agenda, this used to be called common sense. The chaperone is a bonus for parents to be able to feel safe walking to school if they don't already. It should go without saying at all, but for the 100th time, this is in no way a mandate or required in any way, shape, or form. You don't like it. Drive your kids to school.

#2.  I have an issue on anything that isn't spelled out in the Constitution not being turned over to states to decide.  I have an issue with federal tax dollars being spent on this, just say no campaigns, to study the DNA of a grizzly bear...etc...etc...etc. If the state of Alabama wants to do a walking school bus campaign, then so be it, even though I wouldn't be happy about it, but it should never have federal dollars attached to it.
WTF are you talking about? The states decide what?? This is not a requirement. The government is not requiring any school to do it, let alone your child participate it should your child's school choose to do this. We have gone into looney-bin territory with this thing.

This entails some commercials and endorsements. This is not a multi-billion dollar waste of money. It's actually productive to promote childhood fitness, which is a major problem in our country right now, and it costs next to zero money. You literally have to be an insane person to make the argument that this is government intruding on our everyday life.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #71 on: July 23, 2013, 02:43:29 PM »
So, someone please explain to me, how they think this will cost the government MORE money for a parent of a kid to VOLUNTEER to walk a corral of kids to school every day, compared to training and paying a bus driver, let alone buying a bus, paying for gas for that bus, and regular automotive maintenance for said bus. Roughly 50-75 kids ride each bus. For every 50-75 kids that walk to school instead, they are saving thousands on all of those costs by eliminating one bus.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTailgatingRules

• Home of the Tailgate
« Reply #72 on: July 23, 2013, 02:48:59 PM »
So, someone please explain to me, how they think this will cost the government MORE money for a parent of a kid to VOLUNTEER to walk a corral of kids to school every day, compared to training and paying a bus driver, let alone buying a bus, paying for gas for that bus, and regular automotive maintenance for said bus. Roughly 50-75 kids ride each bus. For every 50-75 kids that walk to school instead, they are saving thousands on all of those costs by eliminating one bus.

If this is not a gov't requirement, then some kids will continue to ride the bus.  There goes all your savings on not having to train the driver and buy the bus :poke:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #73 on: July 23, 2013, 02:55:52 PM »

But I'll try.
BULL. fudgeING. shoot.

Show me a link. There was exactly one school that tried anything like this and it had fudge all to do with the government. You are lying about this based on some Glen-Beck-Orwellian fantasy perception of the Obamas takin' our freedoms. It is not based in reality whatsoever. I don't know what else to say besides you're lying.

All of this has gone pretty far to move off of the topic of how outrageous this "human school bus" thing is to some of you. Not only have we moved on to other aspects of the FLOTUS's campaign for better child health, we've now entered fantasy science fiction accounts of the government confiscating potato chips out of kids' lunchboxes, which is so beyond absurd I seriously can't believe an adult is making that claim, and believes it to be true.
THANKS OBAMA!!! Love to see the logic that says this is Obama's fault. Your post proves exactly that this is not some radical leftist agenda, this used to be called common sense. The chaperone is a bonus for parents to be able to feel safe walking to school if they don't already. It should go without saying at all, but for the 100th time, this is in no way a mandate or required in any way, shape, or form. You don't like it. Drive your kids to school.
WTF are you talking about? The states decide what?? This is not a requirement. The government is not requiring any school to do it, let alone your child participate it should your child's school choose to do this. We have gone into looney-bin territory with this thing.

This entails some commercials and endorsements. This is not a multi-billion dollar waste of money. It's actually productive to promote childhood fitness, which is a major problem in our country right now, and it costs next to zero money. You literally have to be an insane person to make the argument that this is government intruding on our everyday life.

I wish I still had the note from my daughter's third or fourth grade teacher telling us the lunch we'd sent was unacceptable.  It had a sandwich, some chips and a Little Debbie brownie because that's what she liked.  Wrong said school. What she likes is irrelevant. 

Lunch had to include fruit/vegetables and the proper this and that.  Since we didn't include the staples in her lunch, she had been provided a tray from the lunchroom and we would need to pay for it and any other trays necessary because her home lunch didn't meet guidelines. 

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #74 on: July 23, 2013, 03:03:58 PM »

The attempt to turn her crusade into a mandate, imposed upon the rest of the public, while at the same time she doesn't practice what she preaches, is more my issue. It's a microcosm of the big picture problem with our govt and it's nanny state mentality. Its people who think like this that are the problem. Guarantee you that if she COULD she would with this too. You can think this is an innocent little crusade all you want. With people that are disciples of their form of govt nothing is innocent.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 03:07:03 PM by GH2001 »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

AUTailgatingRules

• Home of the Tailgate
« Reply #75 on: July 23, 2013, 03:05:11 PM »

Never said it was Obama's fault.  Just said it was sad.  Could be the moral decline in society, could be the decline of god in our society, who knows? 

But I'm sure you can cite other things that are more to blame
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #76 on: July 23, 2013, 03:09:33 PM »

But I'll try.
BULL. FUCKING. SHIT.

Show me a link. There was exactly one school that tried anything like this and it had fuck all to do with the government. You are lying about this based on some Glen-Beck-Orwellian fantasy perception of the Obamas takin' our freedoms. It is not based in reality whatsoever. I don't know what else to say besides you're lying.

No. Dumb is your math skills. Dumb is your initial logic used in the zimmerman case.

And I have no idea what you are talking about with Glen Beck. I dont exactly follow the guy these days. But ok.

You do know that the fedgov gave schools more funding if they participated right? It was subsidized. Even after that most have abandoned it. Wasn't worth it.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 03:13:58 PM by GH2001 »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #77 on: July 23, 2013, 03:17:45 PM »
Never said it was Obama's fault.  Just said it was sad.  Could be the moral decline in society, could be the decline of god in our society, who knows? 

But I'm sure you can cite other things that are more to blame

No question it's been in decline for some time.  No question it's 100X more dangerous and I'm not sure why or what happened. Going back to the "When we were kids" theme, if we wanted to get anywhere, that's what a Schwinn 10-speed was for.  School was several miles away when I was in elementary school.  Load your back pack and start pedaling if you want to be on time.  Parents let us roam the neighborhood, go and do what we wanted without fear of getting abducted or worse.  Just be back home by the designated time.  I don't have a problem with my boy heading a few streets over to meet other kids in the neighborhood.  But letting him have the freedoms to go unsupervised the way we were at his age is totally out of the question.   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #78 on: July 23, 2013, 03:24:04 PM »
The attempt to turn her crusade into a mandate, imposed upon the rest of the public, while at the same time she doesn't practice what she preaches, is more my issue. It's a microcosm of the big picture problem with our govt and it's nanny state mentality. Its people who think like this that are the problem. Guarantee you that if she COULD she would with this too. You can think this is an innocent little crusade all you want. With people that are disciples of their form of govt nothing is innocent.

Bingo

Rosa Parks was just a little old lady with sore feet. 

You have to dig for the truth, but it's there.

Myles Falls Horton (July 9, 1905 – January 19, 1990)[1] was an American educator, socialist and cofounder of the Highlander Folk School, famous for its role in the Civil Rights Movement

Highlander has provided training and education for the labor movement in Appalachia and throughout the Southern United States. During the 1950s, it played a critical role in the American Civil Rights Movement. It trained civil rights leader Rosa Parks prior to her historic role in the Montgomery Bus Boycott.

Parks worked as a housekeeper and seamstress for Clifford and Virginia Durr, a white couple. Politically liberal, the Durrs became her friends. They encouraged—and eventually helped sponsor—Parks in the summer of 1955 to attend the Highlander Folk School,

Durr was born into a patrician Alabama family. After studying at the University of Alabama he went to Oxford as a Rhodes Scholar. He returned to the United States to study law, then joined a prominent law firm in Birmingham, Alabama in 1924. In 1926 he married Virginia Foster, whose sister would be the first wife of Hugo Black.

Cliff's brother-in-law, Black, then a Senator, asked him to come to Washington, D.C. to interview for a job with the Reconstruction Finance Corporation, the agency charged with recapitalizing banks and trusts. Durr took the job, becoming a dedicated New Dealer in the process.

...their friendship with Jessica Mitford, a member of the Communist Party, made both of them even more suspect. The FBI stepped up its interest in Durr in 1949, when he joined the National Lawyers Guild. He subsequently became the President of the Guild.

Little things have consequences.  Especially when they're scripted little things. 

And Michelle Obama is still as fat as jabba and as ugly as the butt end of a buffalo. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

GH2001

« Reply #79 on: July 23, 2013, 03:27:44 PM »
Bingo

Rosa Parks was just a little old lady with sore feet. 

You have to dig for the truth, but it's there.

Little things have consequences.  Especially when they're scripted little things. 

And Michelle Obama is still as fat as jabba and as ugly as the butt end of a buffalo.

Those facts conflict with preconceived notions though. Not real convenient.

A post that lumps us in with bottomfeeder and Alex Jones in 5....4....3...

No worries Chizad. They aren't fractions.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE