Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

DOMA Struck Down

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
DOMA Struck Down
« on: June 26, 2013, 01:49:05 PM »
SCOTUS ruled against the Clinton's Defense of Marriage Act today, which denied federal benefits to gay couples who are legally married in their states, including Social Security survivor benefits, immigration rights, and family leave.

Here's a SCOTUS ruling for us to disagree on.

I think the Supreme Court made all the right calls this week. I may be the one guy.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Re: DOMA Struck Down
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2013, 01:49:49 PM »
Ruling based on 5th amendment and Equal Protection Grounds. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2013, 01:51:13 PM »
Question - Doesn't the EPG mean that homosexuals could become a protected class meaning that it would be against the law to discriminate against them in any way?

Such as a photographer turning down a gay marriage job because they don't agree with allowing gay people to marry? 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2013, 02:28:50 PM »
President who signed DOMA into law:
@billclinton 1h

Today's decisions are a great step forward for #MarriageEquality. Grateful to all who fought tirelessly for this day. http://wjcf.co/19CkWRy
LOLz.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2013, 02:34:41 PM »
They didn't go far enough to me. I want the fedgov out of marriage entirely. Period. It's a state thing. But since the Feds have attached themselves to marriage in many ways, it's very hard to. Federal benefits, tax deductions - you name it. This ruling may look like govt is getting out of marriage but it's not really. It just grants the right for federal benefits.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2013, 02:38:49 PM »
They didn't go far enough to me. I want the fedgov out of marriage entirely. Period. It's a state thing. But since the Feds have attached themselves to marriage in many ways, it's very hard to. Federal benefits, tax deductions - you name it. This ruling may look like govt is getting out of marriage but it's not really. It just grants the right for federal benefits.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

AUTailgatingRules

• Home of the Tailgate
  • By the Pink Dumpster since 2004
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2013, 02:40:00 PM »
Why is it OK for me to marry another dude but it's not OK for me to marry 2 chicks?

Also, what is to stop you from "marrying" your same sex best friend in order to get each other's benefits (health care, etc)and then divorcing later in life when you decide you've found your opposite sex wife or husband?

those are just a few of the  questions that have crossed my mind today.  Other than that, as long as you are responsible for yourself and don't suck off the teet of the federal government, I don't care where you prefer to stick your dick
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2013, 02:46:25 PM »
Why is it OK for me to marry another dude but it's not OK for me to marry 2 chicks?
Finding two chicks to agree to it.

Also, what is to stop you from "marrying" your same sex best friend in order to get each other's benefits (health care, etc)and then divorcing later in life when you decide you've found your opposite sex wife or husband?
Sounds like the plot to an Adam Sandler movie...because it is.

If you're a straight man and are willing to go through the process of marrying a dude, having that on your love life resume, and all the paperwork and fees that are entailed in both the marriage and the divorce all to save a couple bucks on taxes, then knock yourself out.

I don't know how you're filing, but I'm not noticing a flood of cash since filing as a married couple.

those are just a few of the  questions that have crossed my mind today.  Other than that, as long as you are responsible for yourself and don't suck off the teet of the federal government, I don't care where you prefer to stick your dick
:thumsup:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2013, 02:47:56 PM »

The polygamy argument is a good point. But their support isn't nearly as vocal as the gay support so I'm not sure anything will happen there. But if gay marriage is going to be legalized then I say let the Mormons have at it too. Why not?

Btw, healthcare is just another thing the fedgov has attached itself to, even before the healthcare law was passed. And while I agree with your point of marrying someone just for the benefits, that's not specific to gay couples. That has been happening for years in traditional marriage. Military wives, chicks from Romania and Russia - have been doing this for a long while. Convenience marriages.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 02:49:55 PM by GH2001 »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2013, 02:52:28 PM »
And while I agree with your point of marrying someone just for the benefits, that's not specific to gay couples. That has been happening for years in traditional marriage. Military wives, chicks from Romania and Russia - have been doing this for a long while. Convenience marriages.
Nah, dude, ONLY two dudes can pull off a scam like that.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2013, 02:56:28 PM »
Nah, dude, ONLY two dudes can pull off a scam like that.

You mean that whole mail order bride thing was just a hoax the last 30 years? Who knew.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2013, 03:00:15 PM »

Who in their right mind would want too? 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

GH2001

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2013, 03:02:42 PM »
Who in their right mind would want too?

I've been saying this about the gay couples. Let them partake in the punishment that is marriage. After a couple of years they'll be lobbying to make it illegal again.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

dallaswareagle

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2013, 03:31:13 PM »
I've been saying this about the gay couples. Let them partake in the punishment that is marriage. After a couple of years they'll be lobbying to make it illegal again.

That should be in the vows.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

Ogre

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2013, 04:06:19 PM »
If I was an attorney I'd move to CA or NY and make a mint off of gay divorce.  Lawyers have to be licking their chops over this.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2013, 04:09:01 PM »
If I was an attorney I'd move to CA or NY and make a mint off of gay divorce.  Lawyers have to be licking their chops over this.

VV was licking his chops over gays before it was cool to do so.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

dallaswareagle

« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2013, 04:24:33 PM »

Gay ones are.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tiger Wench

• Does this armour make my ass look big?
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2013, 05:06:28 PM »
Did anyone bother to read the case that was the basis for this ruling?

Two old lesbians were together for 41 years and raised a daughter together.  One of them got terminal cancer, and so she and the other lesbian got married, which was allowed in their state.  In her will, the cancer lesbian left everything to her partner.  When she died, the partner was told that she owed the IRS a shitload of money in estate taxes.  Had the surviving partner been married to a man, she would have owed nothing.

The point was that in this instance, because they were legally married under the laws of their state, the surviving partner was discriminated against by the federal government because she was in a lesbian marriage, which was illegal under DOMA.

So what this does is give LEGALLY MARRIED gay couples the same FEDERAL benefits, rights and privileges as straight people - BUT ONLY IF THEY ARE LEGALLY MARRIED UNDER THE LAWS OF THE STATE THEY ARE LIVING IN.

If a gay couple is married in CT, and moves to TX, their marriage is invalid. so when one of them dies, the Feds could collect taxes.  If they stayed in CT, they pay no taxes.

So until all 50 states allow gay marriage, or recognize a gay marriage that is valid in another state, this is a very narrow ruling that is going to create a thousand more headaches than just "GAYS CAN MARRY". 

So if the idea of gay marriage offends you, then look at it this way - gay couples are gonna move to the 13 (?) states that recognize gay marriage and stay there.  Self-segregation.  Just stay away from those places...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTailgatingRules

• Home of the Tailgate
  • By the Pink Dumpster since 2004
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2013, 05:29:20 PM »
Did anyone bother to read the case that was the basis for this ruling?

Two old lesbians were together for 41 years and raised a daughter together.  One of them got terminal cancer, and so she and the other lesbian got married, which was allowed in their state.  In her will, the cancer lesbian left everything to her partner.  When she died, the partner was told that she owed the IRS a shitload of money in estate taxes.  Had the surviving partner been married to a man, she would have owed nothing.

The point was that in this instance, because they were legally married under the laws of their state, the surviving partner was discriminated against by the federal government because she was in a lesbian marriage, which was illegal under DOMA.

So what this does is give LEGALLY MARRIED gay couples the same FEDERAL benefits, rights and privileges as straight people - BUT ONLY IF THEY ARE LEGALLY MARRIED UNDER THE LAWS OF THE STATE THEY ARE LIVING IN.

If a gay couple is married in CT, and moves to TX, their marriage is invalid. so when one of them dies, the Feds could collect taxes.  If they stayed in CT, they pay no taxes.

So until all 50 states allow gay marriage, or recognize a gay marriage that is valid in another state, this is a very narrow ruling that is going to create a thousand more headaches than just "GAYS CAN MARRY". 

So if the idea of gay marriage offends you, then look at it this way - gay couples are gonna move to the 13 (?) states that recognize gay marriage and stay there.  Self-segregation.  Just stay away from those places...

I can solve that problem without having to marry another dude.  There should be no inheritance tax no matter if you leave your money to your spouse or some random stranger who lives under a bridge.  The gov't already took their slice of that money when it was made the first time.  They have no right to tax it again just because it now resides in a different bank account.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2013, 05:35:53 PM »
I can solve that problem without having to marry another dude.
You do know that this is not a requirement now, right?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions