Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Paula Deen

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
Re: Paula Deen
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2013, 01:08:12 PM »
W-2 and all?

Different times now. Not hiring them is viewed as more racist than hiring them with the advent of the civil rights act and affirmative action.

Even if you own a cotton mill?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2013, 01:39:55 PM »
Even if you own a cotton mill?
Cotton is racist.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2013, 01:51:10 PM »
Cotton is racist.

Hey, did you hear the one about the Jew, the Catholic, and the colored boy, that went to heaven?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2013, 02:07:14 PM »
http://www.tmz.com/2013/06/24/reverend-al-sharpton-paula-deen-racism/
Rev. Al Sharpton
Don't Judge Paula Deen
For OLD Racist Comments

Paula Deen is getting a raw deal for using the n-word 27 years ago ... at least that's the opinion of none other than Rev. Al Sharpton.

We asked Sharpton -- a renowned figure in the Civil Rights movement -- if Paula should be forgiven, and he was somewhat sympathetic, saying ... "A lot of us have in the past said things we have regretted saying years ago."

The Rev. added Paula should instead be judged based on the outcome of the current lawsuit ... from a former employee accusing Paula and her brother of using offensive language.

"You can't deal with what is fair and not fair till we see the outcome of the present circumstances she's accused of ... not something 20 years ago."

Sharpton also addresses another hot button racial issue ... fried chicken.

Really. You gotta see it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

DnATL

• Xcrement talker
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2013, 08:42:55 PM »
I don't care if she is BFF with Obama (which I've read she is sort of).
She calls him "my n_____"
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2013, 09:20:59 PM »
She calls him "my n_____"

Nurra?

She's friends with Trooper too?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

DnATL

• Xcrement talker
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2013, 10:16:15 PM »
Nurra?

She's friends with Trooper too?
She's the bag, man!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2013, 06:23:08 AM »
She's the bag, man!

It's more of a shake n bake really.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2013, 11:04:34 AM »
Hey, did you hear the one about the Jew, the Catholic, and the colored boy, that went to heaven?
Colored boy....you son of a bitc...  :porterhouse:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2013, 11:13:55 AM »
Colored boy....you son of a bitc...  :porterhouse:

You complete me.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2013, 02:06:44 PM »
I have a political correctness question. Since it's apparently vogue to use the term n-word rather than the actual word, is it o.k. for one to think or say: "I wonder what this n-word has to say about the Paula Deen issue?"

Confession of a black journalist: Like Paula Deen, I've used the n-word (Opinion from Anthony Cook)

When I first heard about the dust-up over food mogul Paula Deen saying the n-word, my first reaction was "Um ... OK."

I considered it just that – a dust-up. Big deal.

But when it was reported that her extremely popular cooking show was being dropped from the Food Network, my thoughts changed to: "This is a big deal."

I'm guilty of spending the occasional Saturday morning in front of the tube with my wife, watching Paula whip up some Southern comfort food.

When I heard she'd used the n-word at some point in her life, I wondered how I'd view her the next time she was on TV, concocting something you could almost taste through the screen and telling us "This is so good, y'all."

But, apparently that's not gonna happen. Not only has Food Network dropped her show, but Smithfield Foods has dropped her as a spokeswoman, and QVC and Walmart are considering doing the same.

This writing isn't a defense of Paula Deen. She's a big girl. She can take care of herself. And those businesses that are dropping association with her are just that – businesses. They have to consider the bottom line, which can be greatly affected by blows to their image. They essentially have been left with no choice.

I began to see the hypocrisy of expecting white people to adhere to a standard that I was not upholding myself.

As a black man, this writing is my attempt to point out the fake outrage and the hypocrisy of those of us who claim we are somehow damaged by this particular person, Paula Deen, admitting that she used the n-word years ago. If the word is offensive and harmful, why are we not offended and harmed when African-American rappers and comedians use it? Why are we not offended and harmed when neighbors and relatives use it? Why do we not consider that we offend and harm others when we use it?

Full disclosure ... I've used the n-word. As a teenager, a college student and as a young adult, I used it prolifically, loosely, and largely indiscriminately.

But, as I became more mature, more professional, more serious about my faith in Christ, I removed that word (and many others) from my vocabulary. I was motivated partly by self-respect. I wanted to be viewed by others as respectful and professional without duplicity.

I also began to see the hypocrisy of expecting white people to adhere to a standard that I was not upholding myself. Using it culturally is no excuse. That's the same reason Paula Deen used it – because it was culturally accepted at the time among her family and colleagues.

I've heard the arguments that black people are excused because we took something ugly and made it beautiful.

Newsflash: The n-word is still ugly.

We don't know what people do or say behind closed doors, unless they admit to it like Paula Deen, so we don't know how often that word is uttered every day across this country. But what's sad is that public use of the n-word likely would have all but disappeared by now if it were not for black entertainers.

I'm not easily offended, but I do realize the historical weight, significance, pain and offensiveness of the n-word. These days, I have the opportunity to speak to young, impressionable black teens. I want them to see that they are not the n-word, that they owe themselves more than calling each other a slur that was used to demean and oppress our ancestors.

I owe my ancestors the dignity of not trying to embrace the things they died trying to overcome. It doesn't move the needle to fake outrage over learning that white people said that word decades ago if I toss it around without a second thought.

The greatest stand that I, as a black man, can ever make against the n-word is not to use it myself.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2013, 03:52:07 PM »
I have a political correctness question. Since it's apparently vogue to use the term n-word rather than the actual word, is it o.k. for one to think or say: "I wonder what this n-word has to say about the Paula Deen issue?"

Confession of a black journalist: Like Paula Deen, I've used the n-word (Opinion from Anthony Cook)

When I first heard about the dust-up over food mogul Paula Deen saying the n-word, my first reaction was "Um ... OK."

I considered it just that – a dust-up. Big deal.

But when it was reported that her extremely popular cooking show was being dropped from the Food Network, my thoughts changed to: "This is a big deal."

I'm guilty of spending the occasional Saturday morning in front of the tube with my wife, watching Paula whip up some Southern comfort food.

When I heard she'd used the n-word at some point in her life, I wondered how I'd view her the next time she was on TV, concocting something you could almost taste through the screen and telling us "This is so good, y'all."

But, apparently that's not gonna happen. Not only has Food Network dropped her show, but Smithfield Foods has dropped her as a spokeswoman, and QVC and Walmart are considering doing the same.

This writing isn't a defense of Paula Deen. She's a big girl. She can take care of herself. And those businesses that are dropping association with her are just that – businesses. They have to consider the bottom line, which can be greatly affected by blows to their image. They essentially have been left with no choice.

I began to see the hypocrisy of expecting white people to adhere to a standard that I was not upholding myself.

As a black man, this writing is my attempt to point out the fake outrage and the hypocrisy of those of us who claim we are somehow damaged by this particular person, Paula Deen, admitting that she used the n-word years ago. If the word is offensive and harmful, why are we not offended and harmed when African-American rappers and comedians use it? Why are we not offended and harmed when neighbors and relatives use it? Why do we not consider that we offend and harm others when we use it?

Full disclosure ... I've used the n-word. As a teenager, a college student and as a young adult, I used it prolifically, loosely, and largely indiscriminately.

But, as I became more mature, more professional, more serious about my faith in Christ, I removed that word (and many others) from my vocabulary. I was motivated partly by self-respect. I wanted to be viewed by others as respectful and professional without duplicity.

I also began to see the hypocrisy of expecting white people to adhere to a standard that I was not upholding myself. Using it culturally is no excuse. That's the same reason Paula Deen used it – because it was culturally accepted at the time among her family and colleagues.

I've heard the arguments that black people are excused because we took something ugly and made it beautiful.

Newsflash: The n-word is still ugly.

We don't know what people do or say behind closed doors, unless they admit to it like Paula Deen, so we don't know how often that word is uttered every day across this country. But what's sad is that public use of the n-word likely would have all but disappeared by now if it were not for black entertainers.

I'm not easily offended, but I do realize the historical weight, significance, pain and offensiveness of the n-word. These days, I have the opportunity to speak to young, impressionable black teens. I want them to see that they are not the n-word, that they owe themselves more than calling each other a slur that was used to demean and oppress our ancestors.

I owe my ancestors the dignity of not trying to embrace the things they died trying to overcome. It doesn't move the needle to fake outrage over learning that white people said that word decades ago if I toss it around without a second thought.

The greatest stand that I, as a black man, can ever make against the n-word is not to use it myself.
Your Black?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Token

« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2013, 04:00:30 PM »
Your Black?

And a republican, at least a few times. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2013, 04:04:41 PM »
Wait, who here is black besides Saniflush and VV?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2013, 04:10:15 PM »
I'm black from the waist down.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Token

« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2013, 04:25:01 PM »
Wait, coloreds post of message boards?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2013, 04:31:50 PM »
Your Black?

So, we're just a couple of white people?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2013, 04:41:23 PM »
So, we're just a couple of white people?
I guess, wanna go to the GAP?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2013, 05:24:21 PM »
I guess, wanna go to the GAP?

Eh, why not?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2013, 07:23:33 AM »

I like Skittles
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions