Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Safety Cortez McDowell

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
Safety Cortez McDowell
« on: May 16, 2013, 01:01:59 PM »
Auburn getting a strong look from 4-star safety Cortez McDowell (with video)
http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2013/05/auburn_getting_a_strong_look_f.html

Cortez McDowell (Photo courtesy of 247Sports)

Auburn has already landed one big safety in the Class of 2014 for Ellis Johnson's 4-2-5 defense, getting a commitment from former Prattville star Derrick Moncrief of Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College last week. At Big Cat Weekend later this month, the Tigers will host another potential Star position recruit in four-star safety Cortez McDowell of Locust Grove, Ga.

The 6-foot-2, 200-pound McDowell is rated as the No. 8 safety prospect in the nation by 247Sports and No. 17 by Rivals.com. He has more than 20 offers, also including Alabama, Georgia, Tennessee, Arkansas, Ohio State, Wisconsin, Michigan State and Florida State, among others.

McDowell said Wednesday that he doesn't have any favorites yet, but added that his interest in Auburn is strong.

"This year, they're going to get back to a championship contender," McDowell said of the Tigers. "They stand real high with me. The times I've been down there have been great."

McDowell said he's looking to continue to build relationships with Auburn's coaches when he visits for Big Cat Weekend, but he's already well acquainted with his lead recruiter, Dameyune Craig. "When he was at Florida State, he was recruiting me," McDowell said. "So for him to go from one school to another ... it shows that he didn't forget me."

Locust Grove head coach Clint Satterfield described McDowell as a big hitter who is also a home-run threat on offense. "He has the ability to turn a normal play into a game-breaker at any time," Satterfield said of McDowell, who has run a 4.68 40. "He plays wildcat, receiver, slot, running back - wherever we can hide him."

McDowell said Auburn coaches have told him he could play two of the three safety spots in Johnson's 4-2-5 and have also talked to him about playing some offense.  "I like to make plays," he said, adding that he prefers defense "because I want to smack some people around."

In considering the Tigers, McDowell said he's had Twitter conversations with recent Auburn commit Tre Williams of St. Paul's about the program. "He felt that Auburn's going to be back on the rise," McDowell said of Williams. "And he knows he's going to have fun for the next couple years of his life. That means a lot."

McDowell also has ties to Auburn through the coaching staff at Locust Grove, where former Auburn receivers Ronney Daniels and Karsten Bailey are the offensive coordinator and receivers coach, respectively.

"He's a special player," Bailey said of McDowell. "He reminds me of (former Georgia safety-turned-linebacker) Alec Ogletree ... as far as size, speed, tackling ability."

Bailey said he and Daniels don't want to have any influence on McDowell's decision. But he does have a couple of tips for his visit to the Plains.

"I'm going to tell him to make sure to go by Cheeburger Cheeburger and get himself one of those burgers," Bailey said, "and go to Toomer's Corner and get some lemonade."
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

noxin

Re: Safety Cortez McDowell
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2013, 02:55:21 PM »
"This year, they're going to get back to a championship contender," McDowell said of the Tigers.

Good to know he's already familiar with Spice
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2013, 04:08:44 PM »
Good to know he's already familiar with Spice
Nice husslin.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2013, 07:08:07 PM »
McDowell has confirmed he's attending Auburn's Big Cat Weekend on May 25, and admits the visit could create significant positive momentum for the Tigers.

"I'm going to wait and see how it goes, but I'm not going to rule out after that weekend, that Auburn could make a big move," said McDowell. "I'm going to wait and see how it turns out before I say anything. Just getting to know the coaches, understanding them more and building those relationships. That will be my focus."

The visit will be McDowell's first return trip to the Plains since the end of March, when he visited Auburn for Junior Day.

"It's going to give me a chance to re-look at everything and make sure it's where I want to be if I decided to commit to Auburn," McDowell said. "The main thing is to get my mom down there and see the place, she hasn't seen it yet. My brother will be with me also."

"I talked to Tre after he committed. I congratulated him and asked what made him commit to Auburn, just asking why he committed and learning more," McDowell said. "That's why I'm getting back down the 25th, to see if everything is in place.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

bottomfeeder

• We're screwed.
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2013, 07:57:27 PM »
"It's going to give me a chance to re-look at everything and make sure it's where I want to be if I decided to commit to Auburn," McDowell said. "The main thing is to get my mom down there and see the place, she hasn't seen it yet. My brother will be with me also."

"I talked to Tre after he committed. I congratulated him and asked what made him commit to Auburn, just asking why he committed and learning more," McDowell said. "That's why I'm getting back down the 25th, to see if everything is in place.

:awesome: :we:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2013, 08:53:26 PM »

Hells yes!  The bagman is back, baby!!!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

ssgaufan

• WDE!!!
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2013, 10:02:05 PM »
Hells yes!  The bagman is back, baby!!!

So CGM = The Bagman
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2013, 09:33:40 AM »
I saw a guy the other night with a shirt that said, "I am the bag man".  It had a picture of a big bag of cash.  I had to give him a War Eagle.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2013, 10:38:00 PM »
I wouldn't be surprised if he commits to Auburn this weekend...along with Nick Ruffin, Jakell Mitchell & Roc (Roc will be the flip to uat, but I'll still be excited to land his commitment), IMO.

WOTS...Auburn will land one commitment this weekend, possibly a couple more.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2013, 08:41:59 AM »
I wouldn't be surprised if he commits to Auburn this weekend...along with Nick Ruffin, Jakell Mitchell & Roc (Roc will be the flip to uat, but I'll still be excited to land his commitment), IMO.

WOTS...Auburn will land one commitment this weekend, possibly a couple more.

You think the current Auburn staff won't be able to do a better job of stiff arming the flipping of cruits?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2013, 01:51:17 PM »
You think the current Auburn staff won't be able to do a better job of stiff arming the flipping of cruits?
Yes. Once the REC has the prospect, no one will be able to stiff arm them for the certain recruit.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

bottomfeeder

• We're screwed.
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2013, 02:01:53 PM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2013, 05:58:47 PM »

I want a gaggle of flying Prowlers to make up for our lack of inside stoppers. Fear can buy us some time till we get there.

Keep 'em fresh Coach Mel!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

RWS

• The guy your mother warned you about
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2013, 06:18:02 AM »
Yes. Once the REC has the prospect, no one will be able to stiff arm them for the certain recruit.
I'm glad that the REC buys every recruit that Alabama gets.  They probably bought every recruit Saban got at LSU as well.  Because he obviously can't recruit worth a damn otherwise.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2013, 07:50:32 AM »
I'm glad that the REC buys every recruit that Alabama gets.  They probably bought every recruit Saban go.....

I'm sorry, what were you saying...this time try to keep your head outta the sand.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2013, 07:54:26 AM by The Prowler »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

RWS

• The guy your mother warned you about
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2013, 10:28:38 AM »
I'm sorry, what were you saying...this time try to keep your head outta the sand.
As soon as you manage to keep yours out of your ass.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2013, 04:00:10 PM »
As soon as you manage to keep yours out of your ass.
:facepalm:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

bottomfeeder

• We're screwed.
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2013, 05:25:12 PM »
Slow day at the "X". I got freaking pork butt smoking and I'll be up most of the night with it. I come here and it's dead in the water. I understand this is just a place to post while some of you are suppose to be working. The weekends around this place are down right boring. Hell, I have to go to other forum to tie me over, lol. Seeing Drill Press Dave over there is never a good sign.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions