Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Rotating Your Rivals

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
Rotating Your Rivals
« on: April 25, 2013, 04:31:43 PM »
Didn't coppage/pasta any article on it but in the news the last couple of days have been Les Miles' comments on eliminating your set rival in the other league.  In other words, go to a rotation of everyone in the East as opposed to us playing Georgia each and every year.  Personally, I'm on the fence.  For me, college football is so much about tradition, which includes rivalries.  AU/UGA is as old and as good a rivalry as there is in sports.  But, I'm older and it's always been a part of Auburn football for me.  Bama fans love to say their biggest rival is UT, but that's solely to get under their real rival's skin. But do younger Bama fans really care dick about the 3rd Saturday in October if they're playing a team that's pretty much sucked for quite some time now?

From the little I read, I think Miles' concern has to do with having to play Florida every year and how that could potentially knock them out of the playoff, while Bama gets to play Tennessee or Ole Miss gets to play Kentucky (Or whoever their set rival is) I love the AU/UGA game but I'd sure like to be trying to get by Vanderbilt or UK instead if making the playoff were on the line.

I like keeping the rivalries but the way college football has been changing so much, so fast, will it be possible to keep them anyway?  Oklahoma/Nebraska is a thing of the past.  Many of you don't care.  I grew up with that game being a must watch every single year.  The SEC has always been about tradition but does it even look the same now with TA&M and Mizzou joining in the fun? 

What say you?   
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 04:33:24 PM by Snaggletiger »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
Re: Rotating Your Rivals
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2013, 04:37:42 PM »
Move Auburn to the East, Missouri to the West (where they should have been in the first place) and eliminate the cross-division permanent rival games.  Just rotate them in 2 year segments.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2013, 04:43:21 PM »
Move Auburn to the East, Missouri to the West (where they should have been in the first place) and eliminate the cross-division permanent rival games.  Just rotate them in 2 year segments.

I don't think I would want to go much further?

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

RWS

• The guy your mother warned you about
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2013, 04:50:13 PM »
I agree and disagree with Miles.

Bottom line, outside of UF and UGA, the east sucks.  It has sucked for a few years now.  The West is top heavy, but even the middle of the pack in the West is still decent.  Even if you eliminate some of the cross-division rivalries, you still have most of your own division to worry about.  I agree that moving AU to the east may create some more parity between the two divisions.  The UA-TN rivalry is pointless right now.  Honestly, the UA-AU rivalry needs a break; things have just become too stupid.  I could deal with that being a rotating opponent or something. 

On the other hand, Miles is kind of being a bitch.  LSU can go toe-to-toe with UF and win.  Same as they can with UA.  The problem is that he fucks it up half the time.   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2013, 05:11:47 PM »
I agree and disagree with Miles.

Bottom line, outside of UF and UGA, the east sucks.  It has sucked for a few years now.  The West is top heavy, but even the middle of the pack in the West is still decent.  Even if you eliminate some of the cross-division rivalries, you still have most of your own division to worry about.  I agree that moving AU to the east may create some more parity between the two divisions.  The UA-TN rivalry is pointless right now.  Honestly, the UA-AU rivalry needs a break; things have just become too stupid.  I could deal with that being a rotating opponent or something. 

On the other hand, Miles is kind of being a bitch.  LSU can go toe-to-toe with UF and win.  Same as they can with UA.  The problem is that he fucks it up half the time.   

Obviously, success goes in cycles.  Tennessee had their run in the 90's and no one, outside of Spurrier, wanted to play them. Otherwise, they've been irrelevant for some time.  Auburn is about as rollercoaster a team as there is when it comes to success.  But I think it's that cyclical nature of things that's the counter to Miles' argument.  You damn sure wouldn't have wanted Florida as your staple game while Meyer was there.  Decent season last year but since Meyer left, screw em'.  Nobody is scared to play them. 

Agreed on the Iron Bowl.  I may be in the minority and some of you can disagree, but that would be racist.  Always shitting on minorities.  I think Auburn/Bama needs to go on the shelf for a while and let people get some perspective again.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2013, 05:25:01 PM »
I say we join the WAC
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2013, 05:31:11 PM »
Agreed on the Iron Bowl.  I may be in the minority and some of you can disagree, but that would be racist.  Always shitting on minorities.  I think Auburn/Bama needs to go on the shelf for a while and let people get some perspective again.
That will do fuck all to reduce the vitriol. I would suspect it would fester and boil over more.

The actual game is a small portion of the hatred.

You still have to work with them. You still have them in your family. You think they wouldn't fuck with you about Auburn cheating, etc. etc. if we didn't play head-to-head but once every couple years?

It's April, by the way. If it was all about the game on the field, why is there so much mud slinging going on right now?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2013, 05:35:14 PM »
That will do fuck all to reduce the vitriol. I would suspect it would fester and boil over more.

You still have to work with them. You still have them in your family. You think they wouldn't fuck with you about Auburn cheating, etc. etc. if we didn't play head-to-head but once every couple years?

It's April, by the way. If it was all about the game on the field, why is there so much mud slinging going on right now?

We'd still have the trees.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

RWS

• The guy your mother warned you about
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2013, 09:16:03 PM »

The game itself is the catalyst for all of the bullshit.  People like you and Prowler aren't any better than some of the dumbass Alabama fans.  Always stirring shit, no matter how insignificant or ridiculous it may be.  You guys talk about Alabama more than I do.  It's a never ending cycle.  Alabama fan makes up bullshit about AU.  Two weeks later, AU fan makes up bullshit about AU.  Rinse, repeat.  If you took the game away, there isn't any point to all of the other bullshit.  Not that there is much point to the bullshit now, but you get the point.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2013, 10:39:38 PM »
If we didn't play Alabama every year, our instate media would never allow Auburn to have a successful season.  We could go undefeated and the Alabama history books would read "2014 the year Auburn lucked out by not playing Alabama."
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2013, 12:33:44 AM »
If we didn't play Alabama every year, our instate media would never allow Auburn to have a successful season.  We could go undefeated and the Alabama history books would read "2014 the year Auburn l
ucked out by not playing Alabama."
yep....
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2013, 07:31:15 AM »
If we didn't play Alabama every year, our instate media would never allow Auburn to have a successful season.  We could go undefeated and the Alabama history books would read "2014 the year Auburn lucked out by not playing Alabama."

Never thought of that, but that's exactly right. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2013, 07:49:00 AM »
The game itself is the catalyst for all of the bullshoot.  People like you and Prowler aren't any better than some of the dumbass Alabama fans.  Always stirring shoot, no matter how insignificant or ridiculous it may be.  You guys talk about Alabama more than I do.  It's a never ending cycle.  Alabama fan makes up bullshoot about AU.  Two weeks later, AU fan makes up bullshoot about AU.  Rinse, repeat.  If you took the game away, there isn't any point to all of the other bullshoot.  Not that there is much point to the bullshoot now, but you get the point.

You're an idiot.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2013, 08:52:38 AM »
I'm just saying, the light switch doesn't just flip off.

I've hated USC for a long time. Haven't played them in what? Over a decade? Now imagine if I lived and worked with them every single day. And the bragging rights and pomposity it comes with, instead of being refreshed yearly, or at least having the possibility of refreshing yearly, will instead be a what? Seven? Eight year thing? And it will be inflated with the confidence that there is a 0.000% chance that what goes around comes around any time soon.

Take whatever team outside of the SEC, or even in the East outside of your permanent rival that you hate the very most. Do you hate them less because you don't play them every year? And did you ever hate them 1/100th as much as Harvey Updyke hated Auburn?
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 08:54:09 AM by AUChizad »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2013, 09:32:50 AM »
Didn't coppage/pasta any article on it but in the news the last couple of days have been Les Miles' comments on eliminating your set rival in the other league.  In other words, go to a rotation of everyone in the East as opposed to us playing Georgia each and every year.  Personally, I'm on the fence.  For me, college football is so much about tradition, which includes rivalries.  AU/UGA is as old and as good a rivalry as there is in sports.  But, I'm older and it's always been a part of Auburn football for me.  Bama fans love to say their biggest rival is UT, but that's solely to get under their real rival's skin. But do younger Bama fans really care richard about the 3rd Saturday in October if they're playing a team that's pretty much sucked for quite some time now?

From the little I read, I think Miles' concern has to do with having to play Florida every year and how that could potentially knock them out of the playoff, while Bama gets to play Tennessee or Ole Miss gets to play Kentucky (Or whoever their set rival is) I love the AU/UGA game but I'd sure like to be trying to get by Vanderbilt or UK instead if making the playoff were on the line.

I like keeping the rivalries but the way college football has been changing so much, so fast, will it be possible to keep them anyway?  Oklahoma/Nebraska is a thing of the past.  Many of you don't care.  I grew up with that game being a must watch every single year.  The SEC has always been about tradition but does it even look the same now with TA&M and Mizzou joining in the fun? 

What say you?

East and West doesn't matter any more, we have airplanes now, we can get around pretty good, so moving Auburn East and Missour West would be a wash.  Right now the divisions are pretty even, or will be when UT starts getting back on track with 3-4 teams each year who rotate around being on top of their respective divisions(E: UF, UGA, USC, eventually UT; W: AU, UA, LSU, maybe TAM)

But back to the subject at hand, losing the UGA game every year....meh.  I know that it is traditional, and it would suck to lose the "Deep South's Oldest Continuing Rivalry" tag (who's in second by the way?), but UGA has always been third in importance of opponents to me (behind UA and LSU).  It's odd, but I just can't rattle off great AU/UGA moments like I could things like "Bo over the top game", "Tillman reverse game", "Sack game", "interception game", "earthquake game", "barn burner game", etc, etc.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You meet a man on the Oregon Trail. He tells you his name is Terry. You laugh and tell him: "That's a girl's name!" Terry shoots you. You have died of dissin' Terry.

« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2013, 09:49:00 AM »
East and West doesn't matter any more, we have airplanes now, we can get around pretty good, so moving Auburn East and Missour West would be a wash.  Right now the divisions are pretty even, or will be when UT starts getting back on track with 3-4 teams each year who rotate around being on top of their respective divisions(E: UF, UGA, USC, eventually UT; W: AU, UA, LSU, maybe TAM)

But back to the subject at hand, losing the UGA game every year....meh.  I know that it is traditional, and it would suck to lose the "Deep South's Oldest Continuing Rivalry" tag (who's in second by the way?), but UGA has always been third in importance of opponents to me (behind UA and LSU).  It's odd, but I just can't rattle off great AU/UGA moments like I could things like "Bo over the top game", "Tillman reverse game", "Sack game", "interception game", "earthquake game", "barn burner game", etc, etc.

Agreed.

As a new generational Auburn fan, I really don't care about Georgia at all.  They're just a really tough opponent to play before the Alabama game. 

While it does sound pathetic to say, I agree with the opinions of Les Miles.  It's not fair that some teams play Georgia and Florida every year and some play Vanderbilt and Kentucky. 

In our situation, we play Georgia every year and we have to play them and Alabama at the end of the year.  I think we honestly have the most difficult end to the season of any team in the conference.  LSU gets to play Florida early.  Alabama plays Tennessee in the middle of the season.  We get a tough two game stretch (usually with a bye week) with Georgia and Alabama. 

I really don't know why we advocate keeping the schedule the same.  We would win more if the second to last game of the year were Vanderbilt, Missouri, or Kentucky.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2013, 10:20:56 AM »

The Barn-burner game is one I'd just as soon forget.  We lost and looked pathetic doing it.  The damn Barn burned down.  I got sloppy drunk and our wives got so mad at our drunk asses on the way home, they drove off and left us in a Burger King parking lot in Eufaula at 1:00 a.m. Just sayin' you might scratch that one off the list.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2013, 10:31:05 AM »
The Barn-burner game is one I'd just as soon forget.  We lost and looked pathetic doing it.  The damn Barn burned down.  I got sloppy drunk and our wives got so mad at our drunk asses on the way home, they drove off and left us in a Burger King parking lot in Eufaula at 1:00 a.m. Just sayin' you might scratch that one off the list.

I may or may not have knowledge of how that fire started. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2013, 10:53:49 AM »
I may or may not have knowledge of how that fire started.

You know why my wife was mad at me?  Cause I sure don't.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

noxin

« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2013, 11:17:27 AM »
Alabama fan makes up bullshit about AU.  Two weeks later, AU fan makes up bullshit about AU.  Rinse, repeat.

Why the hell is everyone only making shit up against Auburn?!?!?!!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions