Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Who's going to start at Qb?

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
Who's going to start at Qb?
« on: August 03, 2008, 03:55:42 PM »
http://www.al.com/sports/birminghamnews/index.ssf?/base/sports/121775132093220.xml&coll=2
Todd, Burns racing for the keys to Auburn's spread offense
Sunday, August 03, 2008CHARLES GOLDBERGNews staff writer
AUBURN - Kodi Burns will tell you he was a throwing quarterback in high school because, well, you might have not known it or you may have forgotten or you may not believe it.

Burns completed only a handful of passes while serving as Brandon Cox's backup last season at Auburn, and now he has to make his case all over again since Chris Todd has transferred in to try to win the starting job.

The race to be Auburn's new starting quarterback is easily the No. 1 position battle at a school that pretty much has a set lineup heading into its season-opener against Louisiana-Monroe on Aug. 30.
The two began their competition in spring practice, and renewed it Saturday when the Tigers began fall drills. Offensive coordinator Tony Franklin said both performed well, and coach Tommy Tuberville hopes to name a starter in less than two weeks.

Here are the top five depth chart battles:

WHO'S GOING TO RUN THE SPREAD OFFENSE?:

Chris Todd is a Franklin disciple, going all the way back to when he was a prep sophomore and Franklin was selling his offense to high schools. Todd knows the Franklin spread, so that puts him a leg up on Kodie Burns. But Burns has a leg up when it comes to running, and he has two good shoulders. Todd has one, and it's the wrong one. Todd nursed his way through spring drills, but declared himself better than 90 percent healthy Saturday.

Both Burns and Todd threw nice long passes Saturday. For Burns, it was a carryover on how he finished spring drills.

"That's the biggest thing, going out there and knowing that I am able to throw the ball with anybody," Burns said. "That's how it's fallen to me. I'm throwing the ball fine, and I've just got to keep improving."

But Burns threw only nine passes over the last nine games last season, though he threw for one and ran in the winning touchdown against Clemson in the Chick-fil-A Bowl under Franklin's tutelage. Todd, meanwhile, was in junior college, where he hurt his shoulder. But before that he was a quarterback at throw-every-down Texas Tech.

Page 2 of 2
"I'm going to try to make all the throws, try to build (the shoulder) back up," Todd said. "I'll watch it some, but for the most part, we're trying to get it going."

WE THOUGHT AUBURN HAD A STARTING RIGHT GUARD, BUT ...:

The Tigers did last season in Chaz Ramsey. The then-freshman started 10 games, but he had offseason back surgery and his status for preseason work, at the very least, is iffy.

That's why offensive line coach Hugh Nall is getting Byron Isom and Bart Eddins ready in a hurry. Isom and Eddins have each played only three games in their careers. Both came to Auburn as defensive linemen. Both were redshirted as they made the transition to offense.

GIVE TATE THE BALL OR LESTER?:

Ben Tate seized the tailback job last season while Lester was serving a six-game suspension. Who starts may be less important than how many carries each gets. Tate rushed for 961 yards on 202 carries and Lester ran for 530 yards on 125 carries. That breaks down to Tate averaging 4.5 yards per carry and Lester averaging 4.2.

One thing seems certain: The one who can catch the best may get more playing time in the new spread. But the bottom line is that both will play.

IS RAVEN GRAY DESTINED FOR GREATNES?:

Tommy Tuberville has touted Raven Gray's defensive end ability since he first signed him in 2006 and again when he showed up for spring practice. Rivals said he was the No. 4 junior college prospect in the nation regardless of position. Gray missed spring workouts as he recovered from a knee injury, but he says he's almost all the way back. He'll be competing with former tight end Michael Goggans.

WHO'S GOING TO PLAY DEFENSIVE BACK?:

Veterans Aairon Savage and Walter McFadden are battling for a starting cornerback position, but there are plenty of opportunities in the secondary. That's why Auburn brought in eight new defensive backs this fall.

Defensive coordinator Paul Rhoads said Saturday that his freshman defensive backs are "extremely aware" that jobs are open. Check out Goldberg's blog at blog.al.com/goldmine cgoldberg@bhamnews.com

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

Re: Who's going to start at Qb?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2008, 04:41:12 PM »
As a fan, I'm pulling for Kodi Burns.  He's an Auburn QB.  Chris Todd is a Tony Franklin QB.  Todd is at Auburn only because Tony Franklin is here.   

Either way, I just hope the best man wins the job.  I personally have met Chris Todd and have had some experience coaching with his old high school coach (Brett Burnett).  The kid is a Tony Franklin guru - not simply from experience - but he's always had a very strong grasp on the Franklin concepts.  As long as he can stay healthy, I think he wins the starting role.  We'll still see Kodi, but while Kodi is learning the offense, Chris is learning his receivers. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2008, 06:09:38 PM »
As a fan, I'm pulling for Kodi Burns.  He's an Auburn QB.  Chris Todd is a Tony Franklin QB.  Todd is at Auburn only because Tony Franklin is here.   

Either way, I just hope the best man wins the job.  I personally have met Chris Todd and have had some experience coaching with his old high school coach (Brett Burnett).  The kid is a Tony Franklin guru - not simply from experience - but he's always had a very strong grasp on the Franklin concepts.  As long as he can stay healthy, I think he wins the starting role.  We'll still see Kodi, but while Kodi is learning the offense, Chris is learning his receivers. 
.................................................................................................. :sad:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

Pell City Tiger

• Moral Highlander
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2008, 06:59:07 PM »

I believe you're right. They'll both see a lot of PT, but I think Chris will see the majority of it. Somewhere around a 60-40 split in Todd's favor is my prediction.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I stood up, unzipped my pants, lowered my shorts and placed my bare ass on the window. That's the last thing I wanted those people to see of me."

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2008, 07:34:58 PM »
I just hope one guy steps up and shows himself to be clearly better and I am not particular as to who it is, not to imply that I want one of them to stink...I've always been of the opinion that if you have a two-QB system because one guy doesn't stand out, then you're in trouble.  Tebow-Leak in '06 was an exception...you had one guy who was used in specific situations, but the other took the majority of the snaps.

This is just a SWAG on my part, but I feel like Todd will end up starting game 1, mainly because I think it is quicker to learn receivers than it is to learn a whole new offense.  If they're close to even at the end of camp, then Burns' mobility may give him the nod.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"If you're looking for sympathy, it's in the dictionary between shit and syphilis."