Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

You-got-the-Wrong-Guy-ESPN

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
You-got-the-Wrong-Guy-ESPN
« on: April 17, 2013, 06:59:37 PM »
http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-Sports/2013/04/16/You-got-the-Wrong-Guy-ESPN-Wages-War-on-Auburn-While-Other-2010-Contender-Violates-Rules
Opinion: ESPN Demonizes Auburn While Other 2010 Contender Violates Rules
   403 3 3043

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Email ArticlePrint Article
Send a Tip   by Cole Muzio 16 Apr 2013 58post a comment View Discussion

In January 2011, two teams faced off for the national championship. One has now admitted to "major infractions" and will be penalized by the NCAA, but the penalized team is not the one that would come to mind if one has followed college football coverage closely over the last few years.
At the very least, the University of Oregon is guilty of illegal phone calls to recruits, illegal payments to recruiting services, and an association with one of football's more dubious characters, Willie Lyles, who has admitted to assisting Oregon in obtaining the services of two running backs: LaMichael James and Lache Seastrunk.

While Oregon's acknowledgement of these major infractions has made news, it does not even come close to matching the time, energy, money, ink, internet space, and airtime ESPN has used to wage war on the other team playing in Tempe, Arizona in 2011--the Auburn Tigers. 

Throughout the 2010 football season, ESPN was aggressive and took repeated hard-line stances, without evidence, that Auburn was at fault in the scandal involving Cecil Newton and Mississippi State.

Recently, ESPN heavily pushed a story by Selena Roberts that alleges numerous improprieties by the university. Unfortunately for the major network, however, the only people standing by that story are Roberts and Mike McNeil, who is now serving time after pleading guilty to first degree robbery.

Roberts's story highlights a series of extreme cases of institutional abuse which, if true, would have been significant enough to deal the dreaded "death penalty" to the program. While there is no doubt that such improprieties have occurred in various programs within college football, the allegation that Auburn would have taken such actions at a time when its campus was swarming with journalists and NCAA investigators may lack common sense. 

Moreover, ESPN was so eager to discredit the Auburn program, a program that will certainly be irrelevant in the SEC West this season, that it invested six months investigating a 2010 drug problem on the team.

However, the heart of what that investigation focused on was synthetic marijuana known as "spice." ESPN alleges that use of the drug was rampant at Auburn during the 2010 season and that it was swept under the rug by the university and the football program. On the count that use of "spice" was widespread amongst Tiger athletes, ESPN is likely spot-on.

What the article fails to mention, though, is that the number of players even alleged to have tested positive is but a small fraction of the team.

Further, while insinuating that the 2010 national championship should be marred due to the usage of the drug, the article does not mention that a test for the drug was not invented until January 2011, weeks after the game, and that Auburn was a pioneer in testing the drug's usage and began to test days after they acquired the ability to do so. Counter to ESPN's allegations, Auburn took numerous documented steps to reach out to parents, to educate its student-athletes, and to prevent usage of the drug.

This testing was, by the way, being conducted on a drug that was not illegal in Alabama, the nation, or in the NCAA--and would not be for months. In fact, it could be bought over the counter until recently in the state and is a relatively new drug.

Auburn has since fired back on these and a number of other claims made by ESPN and other news outlets influenced by its coverage. However, the number of people that will read these statements of fact is dwarfed by the number of people who saw SportsCenter or read the coverage from ESPN.

If one falls into the category of most followers and only saw the news coverage, one would assume Auburn was guilty. However, their program has been exonerated, repeatedly, by the NCAA while other programs, including Oregon's, have committed wrongdoing that has barely been covered.

Was/is Auburn University some sort of saintly program that has done no wrong? Almost certainly not, and I would add that none of Oregon's infractions should cause that university to be seriously maligned either. What is at stake here is the accurate reporting of facts.

There are plenty of "bad actors" in college football. Some are part of institutions while countless others are on the streets, preying on amateur athletes. Those actors need to be found and exposed by the media, the NCAA, and, when applicable, the courts of law.

What happens when there is no competition in the media, however, is that any outlet with an axe to grind or the desire to print or tell sensational stories has the freedom to do so. While the Auburn and Oregon stories deserve to be told, no institution or its players should be demonized. The "demons" within should be sought and punished, but it is not the media's job to target an entity simply because it wants to.

Because ESPN currently has, in essence, a monopoly on 24/7 sports coverage, it can act as judge and jury and tell whatever story it wants to tell without voices able to challenge.

With Fox Sports 1 set to launch later this summer, there could finally be some competition in sports coverage. What one can only hope is that such competition for viewership leads to a competition for credibility that enhances accurate coverage on both sides.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
Re: You-got-the-Wrong-Guy-ESPN
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2013, 11:34:05 PM »
With Fox Sports 1 set to launch later this summer, there could finally be some competition in sports coverage. What one can only hope is that such competition for viewership leads to a competition for credibility that enhances accurate coverage on both sides.

That's a big dream, one that I hope comes to fruition.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2013, 08:43:08 AM »
That's a big dream, one that I hope comes to fruition.
If anything, I would say that fox has been more unfair than ESPN when it comes to AU--at least with the Cam story. CBS seemed to be the least biased during that time, imo. It was just a major pile on, just like any story that can make a buck for them.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2013, 11:11:33 AM »
Take the spice story out of the equation.  Here's how ESPN does their damage.  When Selena Roberts released her hit piece, ESPN didn't even have to give her air time, or anybody else for that matter.  A local sports caster said it perfectly and I saw a prime example of what he was saying that very day.

He said, (paraphrasing) If you turn on ESPN right now, you will see in a little box and on the scroll, "Auburn committed major NCAA violations by paying players and changing grades".  If you want to look into it further or wait for the report, you can.  But right now in some small town in Massachusetts, there's a guy eating lunch, looking at that statement scroll by and he's wondering why they don't just shut that corrupt program down.

He was 100% correct. I was in a store that day and there was a TV in there with ESPN on.  Two guys walking out, stopped and read that headline out loud.  They just shook their heads and mumbled something about Auburn cheating again while walking out.  THAT'S the damage.  As shoddy and underhanded as it is, ESPN has every right to stick an Auburn cheating headline in the nation's face because they're not the one's claiming it.  The reality is they're telling everyone Auburn is cheating......and if you stay tuned, we'll tell you that's according to an obscure blog from a once "credible" reporter who lost two jobs at major news outlets. 

99% of the sporting world will look no farther than the ESPN headline or scroll.  Exactly what they want.   
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2013, 12:03:36 PM »
Take the spice story out of the equation.  Here's how ESPN does their damage.  When Selena Roberts released her hit piece, ESPN didn't even have to give her air time, or anybody else for that matter.  A local sports caster said it perfectly and I saw a prime example of what he was saying that very day.

He said, (paraphrasing) If you turn on ESPN right now, you will see in a little box and on the scroll, "Auburn committed major NCAA violations by paying players and changing grades".  If you want to look into it further or wait for the report, you can.  But right now in some small town in Massachusetts, there's a guy eating lunch, looking at that statement scroll by and he's wondering why they don't just shut that corrupt program down.

He was 100% correct. I was in a store that day and there was a TV in there with ESPN on.  Two guys walking out, stopped and read that headline out loud.  They just shook their heads and mumbled something about Auburn cheating again while walking out.  THAT'S the damage.  As shoddy and underhanded as it is, ESPN has every right to stick an Auburn cheating headline in the nation's face because they're not the one's claiming it.  The reality is they're telling everyone Auburn is cheating......and if you stay tuned, we'll tell you that's according to an obscure blog from a once "credible" reporter who lost two jobs at major news outlets. 

99% of the sporting world will look no farther than the ESPN headline or scroll.  Exactly what they want.
Are you trying to say fuck 'em? If yes, I agree.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2013, 12:24:59 PM »
Are you trying to say fuck 'em? If yes, I agree.

I'm verbose
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

ssgaufan

• WDE!!!
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2013, 01:20:44 PM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions