Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

The Last of Us

Vandy Vol

• Bitches ain't shit but hos and tricks.
The Last of Us
« on: April 11, 2013, 06:06:32 PM »
This is a new game coming out on the PS3.  Doesn't look like it will be coming out for the 360.  The scheduled release date is June 14, 2013.

Essentially, this is a zombie apocalypse game, except that they've got a different take on the "zombies."  They're actually humans that have been mutated by something, but they behave very much like zombies.  Another difference is that there are different types of mutants with different strengths and weaknesses.  In that sense, it's somewhat similar to Left for Dead.

However, the gameplay looks intriguing.  There appears to be tons of ways to kill these mutants (or other humans) with objects that exist in the environment.  And I'm not talking about just picking up a 2x4, knife, etc...in one of the gameplay videos below, for example, a mutant is killed by the player smashing its head onto a desk.  The number of possibilities simply shown in the videos below make me wonder how difficult the controls are.

Additionally, you have the ability to collect certain items and make other useful items out of them.  Crafting a shiv for stealth skills is one option.  Attaching scissors to the end of a baseball bat is another.  I'm not sure how in-depth this customization goes, but it seems interesting.

One other thing that I read is that there is no standard pause feature, nor can the player access their inventory at any time.  There are checkpoints which will save your game, but you can not pause the game or access your inventory unless you are hidden in a safe spot.  Similarly, accessing your inventory menu or crafting a new item does not stop the action around you, so you have to hide in order to complete these tasks.

Basically, it's a survival horror game that seems to be implementing some new features that I haven't seen in many other games.

« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 07:13:46 PM by Vandy Vol »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." - Dean Martin

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
Re: The Last of Us
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2013, 07:08:19 PM »
Looks intriguing
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

Re: The Last of Us
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2013, 11:31:29 PM »
Just finished it.

One of the best games I've ever played.

It starts a bit "not greatest of all time" but it's still good.  By the middle of it, it really gets going.

One thing about this game is that it is fucking hard.  I couldn't play it for long periods of time because I was getting so stressed out that I felt physically drained.  The challenge level did make every moment of the game feel rewarding even if I had to play a scene ten times just to get through it. 

But the story is solid.  Overused apocalypse zombie story but well done.  Something that really set this game on my shelf of GOAT games is that the story is complete.  Starts interesting.  The plot is interesting.  And the ending is good.  There's great character development as well which is rare for video games.

I highly suggest it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole