Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Spring Breakers

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
Spring Breakers
« on: April 06, 2013, 11:25:43 PM »
Saw this today.  I had not seen a preview and really knew nothing about it other than it was written by Harmony Korine.

True to the title's promise, there is lots of gratuitous teenage nudity.  Mostly in slo-mo.  The real reason to see this movie, though, is James Fucking Franco.  I've been a casual fan since Pineapple Express, but didn't know too much about him.

He plays St. Petersburg (or any central Florida city) whiteboy gangsta perfectly.  You hate him, then you want to laugh at him, then you are grudgingly respecting him.  The whole "look at my shit" scene (/noscat) is worth the ticket price.

Maybe it was because I didn't know jack about the plot going in, but it kept changing course when I thought I knew what was coming up.  I'd think, "OK, obviously __________ is about to happen" and then it would get progressively weirder than my guess.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
Re: Spring Breakers
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2013, 11:38:09 PM »
Saw this today.  I had not seen a preview and really knew nothing about it other than it was written by Harmony Korine.

True to the title's promise, there is lots of gratuitous teenage nudity.  Mostly in slo-mo.  The real reason to see this movie, though, is James Fucking Franco.  I've been a casual fan since Pineapple Express, but didn't know too much about him.

He plays St. Petersburg (or any central Florida city) whiteboy gangsta perfectly.  You hate him, then you want to laugh at him, then you are grudgingly respecting him.  The whole "look at my shit" scene (/noscat) is worth the ticket price.

Maybe it was because I didn't know jack about the plot going in, but it kept changing course when I thought I knew what was coming up.  I'd think, "OK, obviously __________ is about to happen" and then it would get progressively weirder than my guess.
Interesting review. I have heard very mixed to negative reviews about this film, but it seemed interesting to me.

Harmony Korine is one of those directors that I totally 100% get why most people don't like. Kids is his most "normal" flick. Outside of that one, his movies are weird as fuck. More of art pieces than movies as most people expect of the format. That being said, I've enjoyed each of his movies since his debut slightly less than the film before it. Each movie in his filmography is slightly more challenging than the one before it.

Kids is a great movie, although a bit controversial and not by any means mainstream.

Gummo takes that and stretches it. Less cohesive plot. More WTF factor.

Julien Donkey-Boy basically makes no sense. I was compelled enough to watch it all. But there's definitely no real story. Just 90 minutes of weird.

Mister Lonely, despite a more professional production style than any of his former films is extremely strange. Just read the plot description, and the movie is exactly what you expect it to be based on that.

Trash Humpers...I couldn't finish this one. 90 minutes of VHS recorded people in old-people Halloween masks dry-humping trash cans. That's the film. That's it. It's basically an anti-film. On that level, I guess I can respect it as a piece of art. But even that is pushing it.

So I was very hesitant about this one. He's burned me progressively more and more with each of his works, so I was skeptical. I figured I'd probably check it out, regardless, just because I'm intrigued by anything he puts out. Glad to hear it may be tolerable to sit through.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2013, 02:54:19 AM »
Interesting review. I have heard very mixed to negative reviews about this film, but it seemed interesting to me.

blah blah blan, I read playboy for the articles.

I'm sure it did seem interesting.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2013, 02:47:12 PM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.