Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Whatever Happened to "If it has a dick, it's a boy"

WiregrassTiger

• Don't touch Tappy, he's a service tiger.
Whatever Happened to "If it has a dick, it's a boy"
« on: February 28, 2013, 04:28:18 PM »
http://shine.yahoo.com/parenting/transgender-girl-s-parents-sue-for-her-right-to-use-the-bathroom-201415013.html

Transgender Girl's Parents Lobby for Her Right to Use the Bathroom

The Mathis family, with Coy, far right. (The family let the kids dye their hair for fun over the summer.) Photo: …The parents of a 6-year-old transgender girl who has been banned from using the girls’ bathroom at her Fountain, Colorado public school have filed a formal discrimination complaint with the aid of a lawyer—and are using the opportunity to speak out publicly in support of their child.

More on Shine: Dad Protects Son From Bullies by Wearing Skirt. Guess What? It Works.

“The more you talk about something, the more awareness and acceptance there is,” Kathryn Mathis, mother of first grader Coy, who was born a boy, told Yahoo! Shine. “We’re really just trying to make it known what the school has done and make them accountable.”

The family has filed a complaint with the Colorado Civil Rights Division. It will be investigated, and if either party is unhappy with the outcome, the next step would be a lawsuit.

More on Yahoo!: New Massachusetts Rules Allow Transgender Students to Choose Their Own Bathroom

Kathryn and her husband, Jeremy, appeared with Coy on the "Katie" show Wednesday to talk about the case. “The school is really missing out on something big,” Kathryn, a photographer and certified nurse’s assistant, said during the broadcast. “They could be taking the opportunity to teach all of the students that everybody is different and that we should embrace our differences and we should respect everybody. Instead they’re creating this divided environment where they’re showing all these children that a child is different and we’re going to treat them poorly because of it.”

Kathryn and Jeremy, a full-time student and disabled veteran, have four other children, including a set of triplets, one of which is Coy. Kathryn explained on "Katie" that Coy, a Girl Scout who loves pink, began gravitating toward girls’ toys and clothes by 18 months. Gender eventually turned into a bigger issue when Coy asked, at age 4, “When are we going to go to the doctor to get me fixed so I can be a girl?” A psychologist confirmed then that Coy was indeed transgender, at which point, noted Jeremy, “We really needed to let Coy be who she was.”

Coy Mathis. Photo: Kathryn MathisThat led to allowing Coy to “transition” into girlhood in school, which meant dressing as a female, lining up with the other girls and using the girls’ restroom.

“The change in Coy after she transitioned at school was just amazing,” Kathryn said. “The anxiety went away, the depression went away. She became happy.” She told Shine that Coy has many friends, and that they’d never had any problems with or complaints from any of the other children’s parents.

But then, in December, Kathryn and Jeremy got a call from the principal of Eagleside Elementary School, explaining that the school had reversed its position on allowing Coy to use the girls’ restroom. As an alternative to using the boys’ bathroom, he offered, she could use either the one in the nurse’s office or the one reserved for teachers. That, felt Coy’s parents, was unacceptable, and a move that would surely “set her up for harassment and bullying,” Kathryn explained.

Turns out the bathroom ban was also a violation of Colorado law, noted one of the Mathis’s lawyers, Michael Silverman, executive director of the Transgender Legal Defense and Education Fund, based in New York City. The Colorado Anti-Discrimination Act prohibits discrimination against transgender students in public schools. And the state is just one of 16 states with similar laws. Just this week in Massachusetts, the department of education mandated that transgender students have the right to choose which bathroom they will use.

But according to the lawyer for the school district, William Kelly Dude, who released an official statement to Yahoo! Shine, the school "firmly believes it has acted reasonably and fairly with respect to this issue." In addition, the statement says, the family has "chosen to publicize this matter by appearing on a nationally televised show with their child, sharing their point of view with national and local media, and holding a public press conference to announce the filing of the charge. However, the District believes the appropriate and proper forum for discussing the issues identified in the charge is through the Division of Civil Rights process.”

Until the matter is settled, the Mathises have decided to homeschool Coy while lending their fierce support—which is vital, Silverman noted.

“More and more we’re seeing parents embrace their transgender children, because they want what’s best for them,” the lawyer told Yahoo! Shine. “And family support is so important in a case like this. Coy is too young to defend her own rights, so she needs her parents to step in for her.”

Public restrooms, for many transgendered youth and adults, are ground zero for anxiety, stress and harassment. That’s the focus of an illuminating 2003 short documentary film, “Toilet Training,” created by filmmaker Tara Mateik and the Sylvia Rivera Law Project, a New York City transgender law resource.

“I just didn’t feel comfortable in my own skin, especially, like, in the bathroom,” notes one of the film’s subjects, Tommy Wang. “That’s where gender, and how my gender identity was different, came up.” In turn, explains the law project’s founder Dean Spade (who was arrested in 2002 for attempting to use the men’s bathroom at Grand Central Station), “what you see is people not using the bathroom when they need to. And, anecdotally, I’ve definitely seen in the trans community that people have a lot of health problems [like bladder infections] related to that.” 

Silverman acknowledged on Katie that the situation is difficult for everyone involved, including for parents of other children who might feel uncomfortable with Coy using the girls’ room. “But somehow,” he said, “we have to find a way to treat all of our children equally so they can succeed at school and in life.”
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Like my posts on www.tigersx.com

Pell City Tiger

• Moral Highlander
Re: Whatever Happened to "If it has a dick, it's a boy"
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2013, 07:51:02 PM »
We really need to adopt Carlin's idea of fencing off 4 of those square states out west and dumping all the perverts, rapists, child molesters, cross dressers, and similar miscreants inside the fence. Let them sniff, suck, gobble, lick, and fuck each other to their hearts content - all within the confines of their own little Shangri-la.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I stood up, unzipped my pants, lowered my shorts and placed my bare ass on the window. That's the last thing I wanted those people to see of me."

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2013, 09:29:55 AM »
I thought the saying was "if it has a dick, vandy vol wants it"
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

WiregrassTiger

Re: Whatever Happened to "If it has a richard, it's a boy"
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2013, 09:50:54 AM »
I notice that the writer repeatedly refers to the child as "she". Living in this day and age is too confusing for me. Maybe instead of taking a place out west like PCT suggests, those of us who think a dick makes one a "he"--should form our own colony.

A 6 yr. old "she" with a dick. It's not "what's this world coming to" anymore.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2013, 10:28:44 AM »
I just find it highly suspect that a 4 year old fucking asked for a sex change operation.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2013, 11:03:27 AM »
I just find it highly suspect that a 4 year old fucking asked for a sex change operation.

Depends on which cartoon this he..she..it..whatever has been watching.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Vandy Vol

• Bitches ain't shit but hos and tricks.
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2013, 11:30:01 AM »

"Transgender" doesn't mean they had a sex change operation...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." - Dean Martin

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2013, 11:32:13 AM »
"Transgender" doesn't mean they had a sex change operation...

Gender eventually turned into a bigger issue when Coy asked, at age 4, “When are we going to go to the doctor to get me fixed so I can be a girl?”
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Vandy Vol

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." - Dean Martin

WiregrassTiger

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2013, 11:47:40 AM »
I just find it highly suspect that a 4 year old fudgeing asked for a sex change operation.
It's obviously a question related to genetics and not environment. Obviously an innate sense, void of outside influence, that he should request a sex change. It's totally natural, I'm sure.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Vandy Vol

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2013, 01:12:05 PM »
It's obviously a question related to genetics and not environment. Obviously an innate sense, void of outside influence, that he should request a sex change. It's totally natural, I'm sure.

I asked for a sex change at 3.  It's totally natural, but this bitch/bastard is behind.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2013, 01:18:45 PM »
I asked for a sex change at 3.  It's totally natural, but this bitch/bastard is behind.

So to sum up the thread, you like dick and lots of it. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Vandy Vol

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2013, 01:20:05 PM »
So to sum up the thread, you like dick and lots of it.

That's why I had the surgeon attach two of them when they got rid of my vagina.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

Pell City Tiger

• Moral Highlander
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2013, 06:34:55 PM »

"So, you wantin' a snippin' of your majingatgingadong and a rootin' into a shebobajob? Have you eaten your jello?"
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I stood up, unzipped my pants, lowered my shorts and placed my bare ass on the window. That's the last thing I wanted those people to see of me."

WiregrassTiger

« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2013, 04:16:01 PM »

I really hope that this is just another sexually and psychologically confused deviant and not some dude having a mid life crisis and taking his basketball aspirations to the extreme. I certainly I hope I never take this plunge to become a Lady Tiger. See if you can spot the she man in the pic.

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Unique-challenges-for-transgender-player-4319130.phpUnique challenges for transgender player

Ellen Huet

Updated 11:29 am, Friday, March 1, 2013

1 of 8.

View: Larger|Hide.

Gabrielle Ludwig lines up with her teammates as they celebrate winning a game against Cabrillo College last Friday. The Lady Saints next play at CCSF in a Northern California regional playoff game on Friday night.
 Photo: Michael Short, Special To The Chronicle
When the Mission College Lady Saints tip off their playoff game Friday night, 51-year-old Gabrielle Ludwig will mostly be worried about her injured ankle and how it might affect her team's winning streak.

The home team, City College of San Francisco, might be more concerned about Ludwig's height. At 6-foot-6, she's unusually tall even for a female basketball player - though someone that size would fit right in on a men's team, like Ludwig did three decades ago, in another life.

Ludwig, a freshman at the Santa Clara school, is believed to be the first transgender person ever to play community college basketball in the United States. Having struggled for acceptance in her personal life since she began living as a woman in 2007, she was prepared for skepticism and worse on the court - and got it in large doses.

When she played her first game in December, the national media descended on the team, and fan vitriol quickly followed. Spectators called her "it" and shouted that she should be playing with the men. Online commenters joked that they could undergo castration and dominate in a women's league.

"My first game, I sucked," Ludwig said. "I was so nervous. ... There were reporters everywhere and in my face. Photographers would zoom in on things that were more masculine on my features or on my hands to sensationalize something."

The attention has continued throughout the Saints' season, sometimes painfully so. Last month, Ludwig invited a fifth- and sixth-grade girls team she coaches in Fremont to watch Mission play Ohlone College. As the girls sat in the stands, Ludwig heard familiar calls from other fans: "Get that 'it' off the court." "Pass him the ball."

"Here's the thing," she said. "I don't mind. But those kids had to hear it, and that's what hurt."

That night, and through the rest of her freshman season, Ludwig has done her best to stay calm. She's trying to make the struggle a bit less arduous for the next transgender person who wants to play on a team, and wants to be remembered as sportsmanlike.

Besides, she said, "I'm tough enough to handle it."

Nagging feeling

Ludwig grew up in Germany, in Wyoming and on Long Island, N.Y., as Robert, whose happy childhood was marred only by a feeling that something intangible was wrong. That feeling drove Ludwig to steal into her mother's closet and dress up in her clothes, something her parents dismissed as innocent fun.

After graduating from high school, Ludwig played basketball at Nassau Community College in New York, but when the season was over she lost interest in school and walked into a Navy recruiting office.

Eight years later, after serving as an aviation antisubmarine warfare technician during the Gulf War, Ludwig settled into home life in the Bay Area with a wife and baby daughter.

But the gender questions, tamped down during her military years, started to resurface. Beginning in the early 1990s, she would venture into San Francisco and seek out estrogen injections. She grew breasts, but hid them under sports bras and men's clothing.

She also bulked up, taking steroids and working out, and got tattoos that trace up one leg and circle both biceps with wolves and feathers - "as a struggle to keep Robert," she said.

"It was horrible," Ludwig said. "Every day I was reminded that I couldn't be myself. You look in the mirror and you see something where your body does not match your spirit. That's an inexpressible degree of private grief."

Making the change

Her marriage ended in 1998. Once her daughter was through high school, Ludwig took the scariest plunge - telling her bosses at Roche Molecular Systems in Pleasanton, where she works as a systems engineer, that she was taking a couple weeks off and returning as Gabrielle.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Unique-challenges-for-transgender-player-4319130.php#ixzz2MQ2Vn4Jn
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

DnATL

• Xcrement talker
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2013, 06:03:52 PM »
If I were a kid today, I would try out being a transgender lesbian in high school - dominate in the girls basketball, hang out in the girl's locker room, and still can date the girls.  Double-whammy of transgender and lesbian?  I bet there's some set-aside scholarships and shit.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Pell City Tiger

• Moral Highlander
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2013, 06:08:20 PM »
If I were a kid today, I would try out being a transgender lesbian in high school - dominate in the girls basketball, hang out in the girl's locker room, and still can date the girls.  Double-whammy of transgender and lesbian?  I bet there's some set-aside scholarships and shit.
Switch to softball and you'd be a star at bama.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

DnATL

• Xcrement talker
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2013, 06:50:18 PM »
Switch to softball and you'd be a star at bama.
I'd rather cut it off completely than be there
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions