Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Tech help, please

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
Tech help, please
« on: February 10, 2013, 11:21:07 AM »
My wireless network connection keeps cycling on/off.  It fucks up my ability to stream to my tv and, more importantly, it fucks up my wireless scanner.  I can't get shit to scan.

It's an admittedly old system, but otherwise everything works fine.  I updated the driver for the Linksys Wireless Access Point and there is no improvement (of course, they haven't put out a new driver for this sucker since 2004).

Thoughts?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

bottomfeeder

• We're screwed.
Re: Tech help, please
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2013, 11:51:16 AM »
I've had problems with routers after firmware updates/upgrades, so I refuse to update the firmware. You need to upgrade your router. Gigabit technology is the way to go. I have been shopping for a new router myself and found many I like but I this I'm going with the Asus in about a week. It does everything wireless and is ahead of it's time.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2688070&csid=_61

It's either that or install tomato. Which is what I did with one of my routers and it's fine.

Discussion on Tomato Firmware for the WRT54G # Requires: WRT54G v1-v4, WRT54GS v1-v4, WRT54GL v1. x This is not for v5 or newer G/GS routers.

http://www.linksysinfo.org/index.php?forums/tomato-firmware.33/
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 12:09:33 PM by bottomfeeder »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Vandy Vol

• Bitches ain't shit but hos and tricks.
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2013, 12:29:15 PM »
My wireless network connection keeps cycling on/off.  It fucks up my ability to stream to my tv and, more importantly, it fucks up my wireless scanner.  I can't get shit to scan.

It's an admittedly old system, but otherwise everything works fine.  I updated the driver for the Linksys Wireless Access Point and there is no improvement (of course, they haven't put out a new driver for this sucker since 2004).

Thoughts?

Is it just the wireless connection, or the entire router?  You can check by connecting your laptop to the router with a network cable to see if the connection is constant, or if it intermittently disconnects like it does when it's wirelessly connected.

I had the same problem with my desktop computer.  It would occasionally disconnect the wireless connection only, and this occurred with a D-Link and a Linksys router.  I changed the wireless USB card that I was using on my desktop, and that seemed to fix it, so there was apparently a conflict between my wireless Cisco USB card and both routers.

Currently, I'm using an SMC Networks wireless USB card and a D-Link router, and they seem to work fine together.  So it could be a conflict between whatever wireless card is in your laptop and whatever router you're using.

I tried all sorts of settings in the router and on my computer to try to get it to stay connected, but had no luck.  The only solution I can give is to try to get a router that's compatible with your laptop wireless card, or get a USB wireless card for your laptop that's compatible with the router you currently have.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." - Dean Martin

bottomfeeder

• We're screwed.
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2013, 12:55:21 PM »
I think these routers and cards get "hot" and eventually just wear out or breakdown. I'm thinking of adding a fan to my next router just to keep it cool. The SOBs stay on 24/7.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2013, 01:04:21 PM »
Is it just the wireless connection, or the entire router?  You can check by connecting your laptop to the router with a network cable to see if the connection is constant, or if it intermittently disconnects like it does when it's wirelessly connected.

I had the same problem with my desktop computer.  It would occasionally disconnect the wireless connection only, and this occurred with a D-Link and a Linksys router.  I changed the wireless USB card that I was using on my desktop, and that seemed to fix it, so there was apparently a conflict between my wireless Cisco USB card and both routers.

Currently, I'm using an SMC Networks wireless USB card and a D-Link router, and they seem to work fine together.  So it could be a conflict between whatever wireless card is in your laptop and whatever router you're using.

I tried all sorts of settings in the router and on my computer to try to get it to stay connected, but had no luck.  The only solution I can give is to try to get a router that's compatible with your laptop wireless card, or get a USB wireless card for your laptop that's compatible with the router you currently have.

Just the wireless adapter.  I've got my PS3 hard wired to the router and have no issues.  I also have no issues connecting my phone to my home wifi network.

Sounds like I've got a bunk adapter (or just a really old one...the router is pretty new).

Thanks for the help, boys.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Vandy Vol

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2013, 04:35:33 PM »
I think these routers and cards get "hot" and eventually just wear out or breakdown. I'm thinking of adding a fan to my next router just to keep it cool. The SOBs stay on 24/7.

That may be the case with an older router, but the D-Link I tried was new.  After I got a different wireless USB card, it has stayed connected.  So in my instance, I'm inclined to think that there was a conflict with the the old wireless USB card and both routers.  Or the old wireless USB card was shitty and just wouldn't work, which would be surprising for a Cisco product.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." - Dean Martin

bottomfeeder

• We're screwed.
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2013, 04:43:11 PM »
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 04:50:19 PM by bottomfeeder »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2013, 09:52:28 AM »
Just the wireless adapter.  I've got my PS3 hard wired to the router and have no issues.  I also have no issues connecting my phone to my home wifi network.

Sounds like I've got a bunk adapter (or just a really old one...the router is pretty new).

Thanks for the help, boys.

Bingo.

New Cisco adapter (to match the Cisco router) and I'm flying. 

The whole system needs updating, honestly, but this has made a dramatic improvement.  I appreciate the input, boys.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

DnATL

• Xcrement talker
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2013, 10:19:19 AM »
Bingo.

The whole system needs updating, honestly, but this has made a dramatic improvement.  I appreciate the input, boys.
VV appreciates inputting boys
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Vandy Vol

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2013, 03:36:20 PM »
Bingo.

Sounds like Cisco wireless products have compatibility issues with other brands.  The USB wireless card that I originally had was a Cisco product and wouldn't work with a D-Link or Linksys router.  The cheap SMC Networks USB wireless card that I got from Charter works fine with the D-Link router.

VV appreciates inputting boys

Especially when they're my size.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2013, 09:47:46 AM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions