Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Final Polls

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
Re: Final Polls
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2013, 11:47:25 AM »
That was my point. 

The SEC is VASTLY superior to all other conferences.  Not just the top team or two.  The majority of SEC teams are better than the majority of conference champions. 

It wouldn't be fair to leave the #2, #3, or hell, even the #4 SEC team out of the playoffs because Ohio State won the Big Shit conference. 

And my point about LSU and Florida was that neither team was playing their best.  They had no real reason to.  If LSU and Florida felt compelled to prove something on the field those two nights, they would have probably blown out Clemson and Louisville.
But there would be a reason to if they were playing en route to a championship.

To me, I don't care if Alabama beat the brakes off of LSU in last year's championship game. They should have been eliminated from a "tournament" when they played in Tuscaloosa. All teams can't play each other. But all teams from one division can, and do. Whoever emerges as the #1 in their division won that "tournament". The prize for winning that? Playing the winner of the other division. The prize for that? Playing every other conference's champion.

It's so logical, it pains me that apparently everyone doesn't see it that way.

Who gives a fuck if the SEC dominates? They're going to anyway. But if there are 5 better SEC teams than the next best conference champ? Too bad. They should have won when it mattered. The BCS's twitter handle is @EveryGameCounts for Christ's sake. If Florida wanted a claim, they should have beaten Georgia head-to head. Georgia proved to be the better team in the fairest of possible systems. Texas A&M thinks they deserve a shot? Beating Bama's great, but you shouldn't have lost to LSU & Florida (who both lost their bowl games, btw). This year Bama earned the top spot in the West by losing the least amount of SEC games. Then they earned the right to play for the championship game, when they beat UGA.

I don't see why this doesn't make perfect sense. Who gives a fuck if they have to steamroll Louisville (who obviously proved that that's not a foregone conclusion this year) to get there? Beat the best each conference has to offer, after they emerged as the best in their conference? That's the most accurate way possible to crown a champion.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2013, 12:18:49 PM »
But there would be a reason to if they were playing en route to a championship.

To me, I don't care if Alabama beat the brakes off of LSU in last year's championship game. They should have been eliminated from a "tournament" when they played in Tuscaloosa. All teams can't play each other. But all teams from one division can, and do. Whoever emerges as the #1 in their division won that "tournament". The prize for winning that? Playing the winner of the other division. The prize for that? Playing every other conference's champion.

It's so logical, it pains me that apparently everyone doesn't see it that way.

Who gives a fuck if the SEC dominates? They're going to anyway. But if there are 5 better SEC teams than the next best conference champ? Too bad. They should have won when it mattered. The BCS's twitter handle is @EveryGameCounts for Christ's sake. If Florida wanted a claim, they should have beaten Georgia head-to head. Georgia proved to be the better team in the fairest of possible systems. Texas A&M thinks they deserve a shot? Beating Bama's great, but you shouldn't have lost to LSU & Florida (who both lost their bowl games, btw). This year Bama earned the top spot in the West by losing the least amount of SEC games. Then they earned the right to play for the championship game, when they beat UGA.

I don't see why this doesn't make perfect sense. Who gives a fuck if they have to steamroll Louisville (who obviously proved that that's not a foregone conclusion this year) to get there? Beat the best each conference has to offer, after they emerged as the best in their conference? That's the most accurate way possible to crown a champion.

It makes sense.

What doesn't make sense to the rest of us is having a playoff where the 8 best god damn teams aren't invited. Or 7 of the 8. Or even 6 of the best 8.

When you have 8 teams in a playoff, what good is the playoff when 4 of the teams aren't going to be competitive in the first place? That is fucking stupid.

And I'll add: At what point do you see an FSU or Clemson or Vandy or South Carloina moving to the Big East or Atlantic 10 so they have an easy road?
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 12:20:26 PM by War Eagle!!! »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2013, 12:38:26 PM »
8 best play it off, regardless of conference.  Develop a system that ranks using criteria similar to the BCS.  Combination of polls, strength of schedule, strength of conference etc.  If the Boise's and Air Force's of the world want a shot at the ring, then 3 out of 4 OOC games should be Nebraska, Tennessee and Clemson. (Just examples) Prove to the voters and establish by the system's criteria that you're really better than getting up for one game against Michigan State every year.  And if that's good enough according to the ranking system, then let the chips fall where they may. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2013, 12:44:01 PM »
It makes sense.

What doesn't make sense to the rest of us is having a playoff where the 8 best god damn teams aren't invited. Or 7 of the 8. Or even 6 of the best 8.
If you're not the best in your division, or your conference, you're not the best in the country. Or at least, you didn't earn your claim. I thought every game mattered? That's what makes college football unique? Hell, games are much more important in the NFL. Not naming names to misdirect the conversation, but there are certainly teams that did not make the NFL playoffs that are certainly capable of knocking off teams that did make it to them. Guess what? They didn't win their conference, so it doesn't matter. Any other system is subjective as hell. Any "eye test", is flawed, IMO.

When you have 8 teams in a playoff, what good is the playoff when 4 of the teams aren't going to be competitive in the first place? That is fucking stupid.
Again, subjectivity. Let them prove it. The Big East Co-Champion just beat the shit out of our bulletproof conference's #2 team. You can say all day that Florida didn't "care enough". I call that bullshit, and more importantly, even if true, THEY SHOULD HAVE CARED. Did Notre Dame not care last night, or did they just get their asses handed to them? Because what happened on the field is all there is to judge by objectively, without inserting some ESPN crafted narrative bias into it.

And I'll add: At what point do you see an FSU or Clemson or Vandy or South Carloina moving to the Big East or Atlantic 10 so they have an easy road?
If that happens? Even better! Your perceived problem that certain conferences don't stand a chance will work itself out. The free market will dictate that. I suspect, especially in the SEC, tradition will trump any cataclysmic conference shifts.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2013, 12:48:34 PM »
8 best play it off, regardless of conference.  Develop a system that ranks using criteria similar to the BCS.  Combination of polls, strength of schedule, strength of conference etc.  If the Boise's and Air Force's of the world want a shot at the ring, then 3 out of 4 OOC games should be Nebraska, Tennessee and Clemson. (Just examples) Prove to the voters and establish by the system's criteria that you're really better than getting up for one game against Michigan State every year.  And if that's good enough according to the ranking system, then let the chips fall where they may.

:kimclap:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2013, 12:52:14 PM »
If you're not the best in your division, or your conference, you're not the best in the country. Or at least, you didn't earn your claim. I thought every game mattered? That's what makes college football unique? Hell, games are much more important in the NFL. Not naming names to misdirect the conversation, but there are certainly teams that did not make the NFL playoffs that are certainly capable of knocking off teams that did make it to them. Guess what? They didn't win their conference, so it doesn't matter. Any other system is subjective as hell. Any "eye test", is flawed, IMO.
Again, subjectivity. Let them prove it. The Big East Co-Champion just beat the shit out of our bulletproof conference's #2 team. You can say all day that Florida didn't "care enough". I call that bullshit, and more importantly, even if true, THEY SHOULD HAVE CARED. Did Notre Dame not care last night, or did they just get their asses handed to them? Because what happened on the field is all there is to judge by objectively, without inserting some ESPN crafted narrative bias into it.
If that happens? Even better! Your perceived problem that certain conferences don't stand a chance will work itself out. The free market will dictate that. I suspect, especially in the SEC, tradition will trump any cataclysmic conference shifts.

You are the only one assuming that during a 10-12 game season, the best team always wins.

This is the best idea.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

bottomfeeder

• We're screwed.
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2013, 01:00:00 PM »
You and bottomfeeder should get together and tell each other your jokes...

privately...

My ex-girlfriend provided that for the short time we dated.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2013, 01:02:05 PM »
You are the only one assuming that during a 10-12 game season, the best team always wins.

This is the best idea.

Um, yeah, I said the exact same thing. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

bottomfeeder

• We're screwed.
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2013, 01:03:03 PM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2013, 01:19:59 PM »

Simp, I owe you an apology.

We got off on the wrong foot.  I thought you were a bad poster...and, let's be honest, you still have your moments.

BUT...

This fucking tard is stealing your thunder.  Congrats, bottomfeeder, you are the worst poster on the X.

Celebrate accordingly.  May I suggest some auto-erotic asphyxiation?  Ask Carradine and Hutchence for pro-tips.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

bottomfeeder

• We're screwed.
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2013, 01:23:50 PM »
Care to back up your claim, west florida?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2013, 01:28:58 PM »
Love is all in this place.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2013, 01:29:37 PM »
Um, yeah, I said the exact same thing.

No.  I said it better.  And since I did, your post is automatically disqualified.  It's a new rule, I've made up just now.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2013, 01:30:51 PM »

We got off on the wrong foot.  I thought you were a bad poster...and, let's be honest, you still have your moments.

BUT...

This fucking tard is stealing your thunder.  Congrats, bottomfeeder, you are the worst poster on the X.

Celebrate accordingly.  May I suggest some auto-erotic asphyxiation?  Ask Carradine and Hutchence for pro-tips.

Ba-ba-ba-bazzzzinnga....
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2013, 01:33:55 PM »

Now I know you're lying. You never suggested auto-erotic asphyxiation to me.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2013, 01:44:15 PM »

BUT...

The fact that simp is even mentioned with bottomfeeder wounds even me.

Wes you need to apologize to simp, for your apology.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2013, 01:48:13 PM »
So the alternative is to pick and choose who we "think" or "feel" are the better teams based on subjective biased opinion?

What's the fuckin' point of a playoff in the first place then? This is BCS, or worse, pre-BCS mentality.

If a team doesn't empirically prove to be the best team on the field in a head-to-head matchup, or by losing the least amount of games to common opponents (i.e. their division peers), then they fucked up and missed their shot. There's always next year.

Instead, we have this system that gives certain teams (first and foremost Bama) the benefit of the doubt, because, well, Saban. Wash rinse repeat. Same ordained programs every year. Boring.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2013, 01:50:40 PM »
No.  I said it better.  And since I did, your post is automatically disqualified.  It's a new rule, I've made up just now.

and he's backing it up with this gun, that he just got from the NRA.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You meet a man on the Oregon Trail. He tells you his name is Terry. You laugh and tell him: "That's a girl's name!" Terry shoots you. You have died of dissin' Terry.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2013, 01:53:34 PM »
and he's backing it up with this gun, that he just got from the NRA.

Do you have a flag?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2013, 02:01:42 PM »
Do you have a flag?

We don't need a flag, this is our country, you bastard!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You meet a man on the Oregon Trail. He tells you his name is Terry. You laugh and tell him: "That's a girl's name!" Terry shoots you. You have died of dissin' Terry.