No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
Re: Final Polls
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 10:12:45 AM »
Notre Dame should be behind UGA and aTm also. Those teams didn't look like complete clusterfuck when playing Alabama...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 10:16:33 AM »
And that's why I don't have much confidence in the four team playoff. 

Luckily, there is a committee that decides who gets in.  However, I bet that committee is not much better than our current voters.

Who would have gotten in this year?

Based on the 2nd to last polls:

1. Notre Dame
2. Alabama
3. Oregon
4. Kansas State

Who actually deserved to get in based on what we saw of the overall season?

1.  Notre Dame (they DID go undefeated and beat the Pac 10 and Big 12 champs, so I can see the argument for giving it to them)
2.  Alabama
3.  Oregon
4.  Texas A&M

But then, thinking about it more openly, the following teams had an argument to compete in the four team playoff:

Alabama
Oregon
Notre Dame
Georgia
Texas A&M
Florida
South Carolina
Stanford

Who do you leave out if you're basing your decision purely on the eye test like the committee will be doing?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

War Eagle!!!

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 10:22:36 AM »
Florida would have probably been in the playoff.

Remember, if UGA had actually beaten Alabama, UF may have slipped all the way in like Alabama did last year.

The bad thing about a playoff, is that all conferences are not equal. And, the conference championship game could eliminate a team like UGA or Alabama this year while allowing a team like UF to slip in.

The 4 that SHOULD have gotten in this year would have been,

Alabama
UGA
Notre Dame
and either
K-State or Oregon
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, 10:25:16 AM »
How do you make Florida cookies?

Put them in a bowl and beat the hell out of them for 3 hours.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

War Eagle!!!

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2013, 10:26:15 AM »
How do you make Florida cookies?

Put them in a bowl and beat the hell out of them for 3 hours.

You and bottomfeeder should get together and tell each other your jokes...

privately...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2013, 10:27:48 AM »
Damn Snaggle, WE!!! is on that ass this morning.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2013, 10:35:50 AM »
Damn Snaggle, WE!!! is on that ass this morning.

He's giving no quarter.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2013, 10:38:17 AM »
But then, thinking about it more openly, the following teams had an argument to compete in the four team playoff:

Alabama
Oregon
Notre Dame
Georgia
Texas A&M
Florida
South Carolina
Stanford

Who do you leave out if you're basing your decision purely on the eye test like the committee will be doing?

Right there is where it needs to be, 8 teams.  7 games to determine the championship.  Cut the regular season back to 10 plus the conference championships.  The most a team would play is 14 games like they do now. 

Take the top 8 teams after the conference championship games have been played and let them go at it.  Use the Rose, Fiesta, Sugar, Orange, Cotton, and let two other bowls bid for the other two games with the championship game location getting swapped out between the big 4 every year.  At least I would like to see something along those lines. 

/endsleepdeprivedrant
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2013, 10:46:49 AM »
Right there is where it needs to be, 8 teams.  7 games to determine the championship.  Cut the regular season back to 10 plus the conference championships.  The most a team would play is 14 games like they do now. 

Take the top 8 teams after the conference championship games have been played and let them go at it.  Use the Rose, Fiesta, Sugar, Orange, Cotton, and let two other bowls bid for the other two games with the championship game location getting swapped out between the big 4 every year.  At least I would like to see something along those lines. 

/endsleepdeprivedrant

Ed Zachary.  Much too easy, though.  Makes too much sense.  I wouldn't even care if they kept the same BCS system in place to determine the top 8 teams.  There will always be some butthurt team feeling like they were left out no matter what system you use, but I'd rather point and laugh at #9 complaining than to watch that shit sandwich last night and realize there were 3-4 teams that needed to be there over ND.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

War Eagle!!!

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2013, 10:56:25 AM »

/endsleepdeprivedrant

No way. This is saying that 90% of the teams would be only playing 10 games. Do you know how much revenue that would lose? Also, a 10 game season would suck...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2013, 10:57:11 AM »
The thing is, I can't complain about this year's Bama championship, other than the fact that the stars aligned and everyone that needed to lose did.

A perfect system, to me, is that every team joins a conference, every conference has a championship game, and every champion gets a seeding in the playoff based on some subjective poll.

Wouldn't mind losing the three "cupcake" OOC games to make room for a playoff in the season.

The conference championships are about as fair as fair can get. Everyone in one division plays eachother. The best team in that division plays the best team in the other division. Do that for each conference and let the "best" of each one play each other.

Seems logical to me.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2013, 11:03:37 AM »
No way. This is saying that 90% of the teams would be only playing 10 games. Do you know how much revenue that would lose? Also, a 10 game season would suck...

And there is the issue and why it will never happen.  They wouldn't make as much money.  It's always driven by money.  I don't mind a 10 game season, grew up with them and it seems like there was a lot less injuries back then too.  My memory is fuzzy but it seems like games were more competitive then b/c less people were injured and the teams were more evenly matched. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2013, 11:08:12 AM »
The thing is, I can't complain about this year's Bama championship, other than the fact that the stars aligned and everyone that needed to lose did.

A perfect system, to me, is that every team joins a conference, every conference has a championship game, and every champion gets a seeding in the playoff based on some subjective poll.

Wouldn't mind losing the three "cupcake" OOC games to make room for a playoff in the season.

The conference championships are about as fair as fair can get. Everyone in one division plays eachother. The best team in that division plays the best team in the other division. Do that for each conference and let the "best" of each one play each other.

Seems logical to me.

Man, I used to be right there with you.  But I've lost all faith in the rest of college football.

Conference champions don't mean anything anymore. 

And after seeing the dozen or so guys that declared for the draft at LSU, I don't believe for a second that LSU's team was 100% committed to the Chick Fil A Bowl.  Same with Florida.  They sold 7000 tickets to their fans.  You really think Florida prepared to play a real football game? 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2013, 11:12:24 AM »
Man, I used to be right there with you.  But I've lost all faith in the rest of college football.

Conference champions don't mean anything anymore. 

And after seeing the dozen or so guys that declared for the draft at LSU, I don't believe for a second that LSU's team was 100% committed to the Chick Fil A Bowl.  Same with Florida.  They sold 7000 tickets to their fans.  You really think Florida prepared to play a real football game?
I don't see your point.

Florida would be out of the picture.

If they had beaten Georgia and then beaten Bama?

I bet you they'd give a little bit more of a shit about beating whatever conference champion if it was a stepping stone to winning it all.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

War Eagle!!!

« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2013, 11:19:53 AM »
I don't see your point.

Florida would be out of the picture.

If they had beaten Georgia and then beaten Bama?

I bet you they'd give a little bit more of a shit about beating whatever conference champion if it was a stepping stone to winning it all.

How many conferences?

No way you can do that with the SEC being as stacked, and the Big East or whoever being so weak. All conferences wouldn't be the same. Should Boise get an automatic birth into the playoffs because they are in a shitty league whose #2 team couldn't have beaten Auburn this year?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2013, 11:25:44 AM »
Should Boise get an automatic birth into the playoffs because they are in a shitty league whose #2 team couldn't have beaten Auburn this year?
Surely you jest?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2013, 11:28:53 AM »
Surely you jest?

sunshine, unicorns, etc.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2013, 11:30:28 AM »
How many conferences?

No way you can do that with the SEC being as stacked, and the Big East or whoever being so weak. All conferences wouldn't be the same. Should Boise get an automatic birth into the playoffs because they are in a shitty league whose #2 team couldn't have beaten Auburn this year?

That was my point. 

The SEC is VASTLY superior to all other conferences.  Not just the top team or two.  The majority of SEC teams are better than the majority of conference champions. 

It wouldn't be fair to leave the #2, #3, or hell, even the #4 SEC team out of the playoffs because Ohio State won the Big Shit conference. 

And my point about LSU and Florida was that neither team was playing their best.  They had no real reason to.  If LSU and Florida felt compelled to prove something on the field those two nights, they would have probably blown out Clemson and Louisville. 
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 11:32:00 AM by Townhallsavoy »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

War Eagle!!!

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2013, 11:38:28 AM »
That was my point. 

The SEC is VASTLY superior to all other conferences.  Not just the top team or two.  The majority of SEC teams are better than the majority of conference champions. 

It wouldn't be fair to leave the #2, #3, or hell, even the #4 SEC team out of the playoffs because Ohio State won the Big Shit conference. 

And my point about LSU and Florida was that neither team was playing their best.  They had no real reason to.  If LSU and Florida felt compelled to prove something on the field those two nights, they would have probably blown out Clemson and Louisville.

Yep.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions