Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Apple Stuff

RWS

• The guy your mother warned you about
Apple Stuff
« on: December 06, 2012, 03:35:47 PM »
I've always been a Windows kind of guy.  Absolutely love Windows 7, and everything that I admin at the firehouse and at work is Windows.  Never used a Macbook or iPod, touched an iPad for like 5 minutes, and helped my dad set his iPhone up.  I don't dislike Apple products, just never necessarily messed with them.  Thinking about making a change and going with a Macbook in the future. 

As far as the Macbooks go, it doesn't seem like night and day between it and a Windows machine.  Anybody here have any advice as far as functionality, etc?  How is performance and reliability?  Longevity?  I don't use my laptop for anything crazy, and other than WiFi, I don't really use networking.  I guess I'm just trying to find out what I might be getting myself into.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
Re: Apple Stuff
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2012, 03:38:39 PM »
ghey
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2012, 03:40:48 PM »
I've always been a Windows kind of guy.  Absolutely love Windows 7, and everything that I admin at the firehouse and at work is Windows.  Never used a Macbook or iPod, touched an iPad for like 5 minutes, and helped my dad set his iPhone up.  I don't dislike Apple products, just never necessarily messed with them.  Thinking about making a change and going with a Macbook in the future. 

As far as the Macbooks go, it doesn't seem like night and day between it and a Windows machine.  Anybody here have any advice as far as functionality, etc?  How is performance and reliability?  Longevity?  I don't use my laptop for anything crazy, and other than WiFi, I don't really use networking.  I guess I'm just trying to find out what I might be getting myself into.

In before the Apple haters.  NM.  Uncle Sani beat me to it.

They make solid hardware.  I have an old G4 PowerMac Tower from somewhere around 2003 that still runs rock solid.   The OS is pretty solid as well.  For what you are planning on using it for, don't buy one.  Get something from Asus for less money.  If you aren't going to do serious work (graphics arts, command line system administration...etc...etc..) then I wouldn't recommend one.  Too much money to spend for Internetting.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2012, 10:04:46 PM »
Too much money to spend for Internetting.

Second that.

I'm happy with my Dell, I run a number of applications for work that are Windows based, if I spent top dollar on a Mac, I'd also have to fork over another 500 bucks for a copy of Parallels and Windows.  Just not worth it.  They were ground breaking with the Mac Book Airs, but I suspect the Dell's and the HP's of the world to soon put out something as powerful and as light.

If literally all you are doing is surfing the internet looking for goats to fuck email and word processing, I'm not sure you need one (especially considering the entry cost).
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2012, 09:36:28 AM »
I run both, I am happy with both.  Depends on what you are doing. For everyday use of internet and office type products, stick with Windows and pocket the extra cash.

BTW I downloaded a beta version of Windows 8 and ran it dual boot.  STAY THE FUCK AWAY FROM IT.  I have no idea what windows is trying to do, it is worse then vista....do.not.like.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2012, 09:52:42 AM »
I run both, I am happy with both.  Depends on what you are doing. For everyday use of internet and office type products, stick with Windows and pocket the extra cash.

BTW I downloaded a beta version of Windows 8 and ran it dual boot.  STAY THE FUCK AWAY FROM IT.  I have no idea what windows is trying to do, it is worse then vista....do.not.like.

What this guy said. I've ran windows apple linux and android. They all have their pros and cons and it just depends on what you are looking for. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2012, 10:40:33 AM »
My beef with my girlfriend's macbook (or whatever her Apple laptop is called) is that the OS is so foreign to me.  I was trying to help her set up a wireless printer/scanner:  took 3 minutes on her Windows-based work laptop.  Took 45 minutes to get it set up on the mac.  Then the mac wouldn't print/scan the next day and I couldn't resolve the issue because I couldn't find the fucking installation.

Fuck a mac, unless you are very familiar with their OS and/or never need to dig into the files.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

GH2001

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2012, 10:43:10 AM »
My beef with my girlfriend's macbook (or whatever her Apple laptop is called) is that the OS is so foreign to me.  I was trying to help her set up a wireless printer/scanner:  took 3 minutes on her Windows-based work laptop.  Took 45 minutes to get it set up on the mac.  Then the mac wouldn't print/scan the next day and I couldn't resolve the issue because I couldn't find the fucking installation.

Fuck a mac, unless you are very familiar with their OS and/or never need to dig into the files.

I can agree with this somewhat. It took me forever and was a painful process setting up a wifi printer on my iPad. With my dell it was about a 5 min process.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2012, 10:51:38 AM »
So in short RWS, you should go to your room and do homo things.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

GH2001

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2012, 10:57:26 AM »

He prefers boy goats anyway.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2012, 11:03:12 AM »

You tell that mean old ocean, Todd.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2012, 11:29:03 AM »

It is just because you are not used to it.  Truthfully it was foreign to me but after a week, honestly there are a lot of things that run much better.  It is like that with everything there is a learning curve.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

RWS

• The guy your mother warned you about
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2012, 03:59:54 PM »
This is mainly why I am looking at alternatives.  I didn't understand why they went in that direction, especially since 7 is more solid than XP Pro imo.  I've played with Win8 some as well and I fucking hate it.  I have a Dell laptop that was a refurb and has been great over the years.  The HDD died in it last year, but I slapped a spare pre-loaded with stuff into it and no trouble since. 

As you said, I really think that Windows is fucking up with 8.  They did it because the tablet market is red hot right now, and they built 8 to try to get a piece of that market.  But I think that manufacturers are going to stick with the Android for those (except in the case of Apple, obviously, who certainly isn't going to use anything by MS).  MS will regret this experiment in the end.  They worked so hard for Vista, and 7 was basically a fixed and improved upon Vista.  And now all of a sudden they're abandoning it?  Knee jerk reaction, imo.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler