Someone ripped him off...

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
Re: Sexy & I Know It Cover
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2012, 09:10:20 AM »
Damn. Same exact arrangement six months later on National Television. And he didn't do it as well, either.

If I were ol' Jonah, I'd be pretty pissed.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2012, 09:14:58 AM »
http://www.entertainmentwise.com/news/91887/VIDEO-X-Factor-Finalist-James-Arthurs-Rendition-Of-LMFAO-Sexy-And-I-Know-It-Branded-A-Joke

By Deepika Rajani On October 23, 2012
X Factor's James Arthur Accused Of Plagiarism Over 'Sexy And I Know It' Cover

By fans who allege that James copied Youtube star only1Noah

He may have been commended for his performance of LMFAO's club tune 'Sexy And I Know It', but it appears that not everyone was loving James Arthur's rendition following claims of plagiarism by fans of Youtube star only1Noah.

Viewers tuning into the X Factor last weekend saw Gary tell James: "You turned that song on it's head. It's a silly dance song but you gave those lyrics meaning tonight.

"This wasn't the performance of the night, it was the performance of the series so far."

Adding to the compliments, Louis said: "James Arthur, what a brilliant interpretation. You are a real professional, you had a tough week but when you get on that stage you own it."

However, James' rendition of the song soon became the topic of conversation for the wrong reasons when fans of Noah hit out at James. Branding the X Factor finalist's rendition as a "joke" over Noah's version which was reportedly recording in May this year, one fan said:

"complete joke that he sung it TWICE, once at the judges houses and now on the live shows, with no mention of it being a cover of Noah's."

However, the fans were soon placated when James tweeted Noah thanking him for giving him inspiration for the song.

James tweeted: "thx for the inspiration Noah! Xfactoruk team loved ur version & asked me to put a spin on ur spin".
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2012, 09:15:59 AM »
Damn. Same exact arrangement six months later on National Television. And he didn't do it as well, either.

If I were ol' Jonah, I'd be pretty pissed.

Surely he had to get permission didn't he?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2012, 09:18:56 AM »
Surely he had to get permission didn't he?
Not from a YouTube video. Doubtful Noah had "permission" to cover it from LMFAO in the first place.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Vandy Vol

• Bitches ain't shit but hos and tricks.
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2012, 11:35:18 AM »
Not from a YouTube video.

All creative works are automatically copyrighted upon creation.  It's advised that you register a copyright on the work with the USPTO so that you have official documentation of ownership and the date of creation, but registration isn't required.

So if you see original content on YouTube and use it without permission, you're still violating copyright laws; it's just a matter of whether the owner can prove that they're the original author without a copyright registration.

At any rate, the YouTube video of this kid was likely a copyright infringement in and of itself, as I doubt he obtained the appropriate mechanical license to make use of the underlying composition and lyrics of the song.  Nor does it appear that he altered anything enough to make it a new work separate from the original.

Sucks that the guy ripped the kid off, but the kid wouldn't have any copyright infringement claims that I can see.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." - Dean Martin

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2012, 01:11:54 PM »
All creative works are automatically copyrighted upon creation.  It's advised that you register a copyright on the work with the USPTO so that you have official documentation of ownership and the date of creation, but registration isn't required.

So if you see original content on YouTube and use it without permission, you're still violating copyright laws; it's just a matter of whether the owner can prove that they're the original author without a copyright registration.

At any rate, the YouTube video of this kid was likely a copyright infringement in and of itself, as I doubt he obtained the appropriate mechanical license to make use of the underlying composition and lyrics of the song.  Nor does it appear that he altered anything enough to make it a new work separate from the original.

Sucks that the guy ripped the kid off, but the kid wouldn't have any copyright infringement claims that I can see.
This is what I said in much more words.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Vandy Vol

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2012, 01:14:18 PM »

It didn't appear that way to me.  WE!!! asked if he had to get permission; you responded with "Not from a YouTube video."

Original material is copyrighted upon its creation and expression in a medium, such as a video.  So yes, one would have to get permission to perform an original work contained in a YouTube video...which is not at all what I interpreted your response to mean.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." - Dean Martin

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2012, 01:14:45 PM »

Verbose bastard this one is.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2012, 02:00:16 PM »
It didn't appear that way to me.  WE!!! asked if he had to get permission; you responded with "Not from a YouTube video."

Original material is copyrighted upon its creation and expression in a medium, such as a video.  So yes, one would have to get permission to perform an original work contained in a YouTube video...which is not at all what I interpreted your response to mean.
For someone whom words are awfully important, you ignored the other 3/4s or 98% of my post.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Vandy Vol

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2012, 02:08:29 PM »
For someone whom words are awfully important, you ignored the other 3/4s or 98% of my post.

Words are awfully important.  Stating that you don't need permission to use content from "a YouTube video" is a generalized statement that isn't always correct.  If you had used a few more words to tie the two sentences together so as to not create a generalized statement about all YouTube videos, then it may have relayed your thoughts a little more clearly.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2012, 02:20:41 PM »
What are words for, when no one listens anymore?  There's no use talking at all.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2012, 03:13:54 PM »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2012, 03:35:04 PM »
 :vn: :brilliant: :gold:
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Vandy Vol

« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2012, 04:12:08 PM »

The ring would have made it to the volcano sooner if I had used less words.  My bad.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2012, 10:29:27 PM »
All creative works are automatically copyrighted upon creation. 

Original material is copyrighted upon its creation and expression in a medium

The second quote is much more accurate than the first.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

Vandy Vol

« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2012, 02:51:02 PM »
The second quote is much more accurate than the first.

I wasn't focusing on the "expression in a medium" aspect of it initially because we were talking about a YouTube video.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions