No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
Re: Well...Tonight Was Anticlimactic
« Reply #61 on: November 09, 2012, 11:02:40 AM »
Just curious - Why?

Wes will hate me for saying these but I would guess most likely on social issues. Living close to such "backwards states". And I am giving Wes credit here by guessing this because no one with half a brain would have voted for this guy based off HIS economic policies. They don't work and won't work.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

dallaswareagle

• Standing on holy ground.
« Reply #62 on: November 09, 2012, 11:08:45 AM »
Wes will hate me for saying these but I would guess most likely on social issues. Living close to such "backwards states". And I am giving Wes credit here by guessing this because no one with half a brain would have voted for this guy based off HIS economic policies. They don't work and won't work.

The takers out voted the makers.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #63 on: November 09, 2012, 11:46:01 AM »

Largely social issues, yes.  Unless and until the Republican party abandons the fight against gay rights and abortion (read: govt intrusion into my private life) they won't get my vote. 

In addition, the economy is recovering.  I'm much better off than I was 4 years ago.  My local economy is rebounding nicely.  I saw no need to rock the boat of recovery for the sake of change...especially when the economic change was so vaguely presented by Romney.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #64 on: November 09, 2012, 11:52:38 AM »
Question Counselor?  How often does the SCOTUS go back and reverse a decision from a previous SCOTUS?  Also, why do we have politicians make statements that they "will overturn Roe v Wade" when the only way it is possible is to appoint judges to make it happen, but those judges would never make it pass the senate vote? On top of that, how often is it that the POTUS gets to appoint more than one or two judges that will give them the majority of the bench? Please put this issue to bed.

IMO, the standard response for gay marriage should be "It's not a federal issue, leave it to the states to decide, next question please" and move on from it. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

« Reply #65 on: November 09, 2012, 11:55:38 AM »
In addition, the economy is recovering.  I'm much better off than I was 4 years ago.  My local economy is rebounding nicely.  I saw no need to rock the boat of recovery for the sake of change...especially when the economic change was so vaguely presented by Romney.

I feel like this is rather myopic.  16 trillion dollars in debt.  Unless you think Romney was going to add or maintain that number, you have to be worried about the potential crisis we're staring at down the road.

Not to mention, public healthcare will result in lower quality healthcare for the middle class.  Are you a supporter of the Affordable Care Act?  If so, I'm really interested in why. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #66 on: November 09, 2012, 12:23:53 PM »
I feel like this is rather myopic.  16 trillion dollars in debt.  Unless you think Romney was going to add or maintain that number, you have to be worried about the potential crisis we're staring at down the road.

Not to mention, public healthcare will result in lower quality healthcare for the middle class.  Are you a supporter of the Affordable Care Act?  If so, I'm really interested in why.

It's the position of many of the younger generation. I gots mines!

It's hard to see the big picture when you only look at a small area. We are not a nation of deep thinkers any longer. The old Nike slogan, just do it, sums up our country now. Or is it now YOLO?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Five statements of WISDOM
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
4. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

oldautiger

• Resident Old Fart
« Reply #67 on: November 09, 2012, 12:46:30 PM »

It's the position of many of the younger generation. I gots mines!

It's hard to see the big picture when you only look at a small area. We are not a nation of deep thinkers any longer. The old Nike slogan, just do it, sums up our country now. Or is it now YOLO?
WHYDFML, the new slogan
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard, grow big, wear glasses of you need 'em." - Webb Wilder

"Auburn is no Harvard, M.I.T. or Alabama - Thank GOD for small favors" - Anonymous

I can't recommend sex, drugs and rock 'n roll to everybody, but they've worked for me. - Me

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #68 on: November 09, 2012, 12:53:05 PM »
It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to Heaven, we were all going direct the other way...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #69 on: November 09, 2012, 12:55:54 PM »
Except this time it is a tale of two countries, within one!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
1. You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity, by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
2. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
3. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
5. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friends, is the beginning of the end of any nation.

wesfau2

« Reply #70 on: November 09, 2012, 02:53:56 PM »
Question Counselor?  How often does the SCOTUS go back and reverse a decision from a previous SCOTUS?  Also, why do we have politicians make statements that they "will overturn Roe v Wade" when the only way it is possible is to appoint judges to make it happen, but those judges would never make it pass the senate vote? On top of that, how often is it that the POTUS gets to appoint more than one or two judges that will give them the majority of the bench? Please put this issue to bed.

It's not the substance of the issue, really, but the complete divorcing of "conservative" values from the Republican party to win votes from the religious right that makes this an issue for me.  Intervening in another's medical decision based on one's own perceived superior morality is repugnant to me.

IMO, the standard response for gay marriage should be "It's not a federal issue, leave it to the states to decide, next question please" and move on from it.

Agreed...too bad that's not how it goes.

Myopic?  Sure: all politics are local.

I think the ACA is a step in the right direction.  I think that there must be reform on the insurance side of the equation, since that is the biggest obstacle to an efficient healthcare marketplace.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #71 on: November 09, 2012, 03:20:36 PM »

I think the ACA is a step in the right direction.  I think that there must be reform on the insurance side of the equation, since that is the biggest obstacle to an efficient healthcare marketplace.

Fair enough. At least you're honest and I respect that.

But I have to think what's holding back an effiecient medical environment in this country is the cost of medical care. Many drs charge what they do to cover malpractice insurance which has skyrocketed the last couple of decades. Fixing this would require tort reform which ain't gonna happen when most of congress is of the legal trade - GOP and demos. You bring the cost of medical care down to affordable levels and insurance isn't even much of a factor at that point.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #72 on: November 09, 2012, 03:27:36 PM »
It's not the substance of the issue, really, but the complete divorcing of "conservative" values from the Republican party to win votes from the religious right that makes this an issue for me.  Intervening in another's medical decision based on one's own perceived superior morality is repugnant to me.

Agreed...too bad that's not how it goes.

Myopic?  Sure: all politics are local.

In agreement with you.  When I posted "Please put this issue to bed" that was meant for the Republican Party and not you.  I find it hypocritical to champion small gov't and less gov't in people lives, but then be the frontrunners to champion gov't involvement in your personal choices.  Then again I find hypocrisy on both sides of the isle and in all levels of gov't.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

wesfau2

« Reply #73 on: November 09, 2012, 03:44:47 PM »
Fair enough. At least you're honest and I respect that.

But I have to think what's holding back an effiecient medical environment in this country is the cost of medical care. Many drs charge what they do to cover malpractice insurance which has skyrocketed the last couple of decades. Fixing this would require tort reform which ain't gonna happen when most of congress is of the legal trade - GOP and demos. You bring the cost of medical care down to affordable levels and insurance isn't even much of a factor at that point.

It's not the cost of malpractice insurance that's the driver, it's unnecessary work performed ("defensive medicine") as a CYA move.  You'll obviously not get me to assign more blame to lawyers/litigation (though there is some to be apportioned there) than to the insurers. 

I maintain that the obstacle to efficient healthcare is the insurance industry.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #74 on: November 09, 2012, 03:48:09 PM »
It's not the cost of malpractice insurance that's the driver, it's unnecessary work performed ("defensive medicine") as a CYA move.  You'll obviously not get me to assign more blame to lawyers/litigation (though there is some to be apportioned there) than to the insurers. 

I maintain that the obstacle to efficient healthcare is the insurance industry.

I guess the main point is to get medical costs low enough to the point where med insurance is a non factor on routine things. To the point where medical insurance is for rather major things. Make sense? If we could take medical insurance out of the equation as much as possible we wouldn't even have to worry about everyone having med ins as we know it today. It would be more major medical or catastrophe insurance.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

wesfau2

« Reply #75 on: November 09, 2012, 04:31:04 PM »
I guess the main point is to get medical costs low enough to the point where med insurance is a non factor on routine things. To the point where medical insurance is for rather major things. Make sense? If we could take medical insurance out of the equation as much as possible we wouldn't even have to worry about everyone having med ins as we know it today. It would be more major medical or catastrophe insurance.

Agreed.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Vandy Vol

• Bitches ain't shit but hos and tricks.
« Reply #76 on: November 09, 2012, 05:33:06 PM »
The takers out voted the makers.

The Undertaker did what to the Boilermakers?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." - Dean Martin

GH2001

« Reply #77 on: November 13, 2012, 09:08:19 AM »
Agreed.

Sad when a few message board posters can have a more constructive dialogue in an effort to solve issues, than the people we pay and elect to do that.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

CCTAU

• War Eagle!
« Reply #78 on: November 13, 2012, 09:59:36 AM »
I actually find it humorous that this has been the election with the LEAST amount of social issues being discussed by the right, yet there are people out there who voted for "social" reasons.

The other elephant in the room wants some attention too.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions