Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

RIP Pascual Perez

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
RIP Pascual Perez
« on: November 01, 2012, 03:00:40 PM »
http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/dominican-republic-newspapers-hoy-and-diaro-libre/nStD4/

Former Braves pitcher Pascual Perez killed in robbery

By George Mathis
Police in the Dominican Republic say former Atlanta Brave pitcher Pascual Perez has been killed in his home during an apparent robbery.
A statement from police in the Caribbean country says Perez was attacked by several people inside his home in a town west of the capital. He had been struck in the head but the cause of death has not been released. No suspects are in custody.
Perez was one of the most colorful pitchers to ever play the game. His unusual mound demeanor included taunting batters by pretending to shoot them with a gun formed by his hand and throwing a slow, high-arcing curveball known as an “Eephus pitch.”
After being traded from the Pirates to the Braves during the 1982 season he famously missed a start because he kept circling Atlanta on I-285 while trying to find Fulton County Stadium, earning him the nicknames “I-285” and “Perimeter” Perez.
Despite the famed mishap, Perez went 4-4 and helped the Braves win the National League West division title that year.
After a stellar 15-8 season in 1983 he was arrested for cocaine possession in his native Dominican Republic. He returned late for the 1984 season but led the Braves in wins (14) and strikeouts.
Released by the Braves in 1986, he joined the Expos and pitched a rain-shortened no-hitter against the Phillies in 1988.
For his career, Perez had a 67-68 record with a 3.44 ERA. He racked up 822 strikeouts in 1244.1 innings while playing for the Pirates, Braves, Expos and Yankees between 1980 and 1991.
Former teammate Dale Murphy recalled his playing days with the lively pitcher while speaking with the AJC’s Dave O’Brien.
“It’s a sad day. Very sad news. I’m glad to be able to have some good memories with Pascual. Fun memories. He was part of our best years in the early ’80s, and there was never a dull moment with Pascual.”
“Pascual was truly a character. But I appreciated him as someone who was a good teammate and, besides Knucksie [Phil Niekro] and Rick Mahler, he was one of the mainstays of our [pitching] staff for the years he was there.”
“It really is a shocking, sad thing. I certainly wish the best for his family,” said Murphy.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.