Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

(Carefully) Ranking SEC's impact newcomers

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
(Carefully) Ranking SEC's impact newcomers
« on: July 18, 2008, 11:07:30 AM »
Two Auburn players, as you may know I find the statement he made about Chris Todd udder bullshit. 

Selecting impact newcomers can really be a crap shoot. Case in point: We knew the kid had talent, but did anybody really see Knowshon Moreno breaking out in that crowded Georgia backfield and having the kind of monster season he did a year ago? On the other end of the spectrum, remember how junior college transfer Kenny O'Neal was going to swoop in and be Tennessee's deep threat in the passing game last year? Well, he caught two passes all season and is no longer in the program. So with a deep exhale, I give you the SEC's Top 10 impact newcomers for the 2008 season. Some are transfers. Some are redshirt freshmen, and some are true freshmen. One is reintroducing himself to the league after a year sabbatical. We'll check this list again in late October and see how many I hit and how many I missed:

1. Jevan Snead, QB, Ole Miss: Quarterback woes have haunted the Rebels ever since Eli Manning left. Not anymore, though. Snead, a gifted 6-3 transfer from Texas, finally gets to show off his arm, mobility and smarts in 2008.

2. Chris Rainey, RB, Florida: Granted, it's not like the Gators are lacking in the offensive playmaker department. But even with Tim Tebow and Percy Harvin running around, Urban Meyer will find a way to get this speedy redshirt freshman the ball.

3. Demetrice Morley, S, Tennessee: He's not exactly completely new, having played as a freshman in 2006. But Morley is back after flunking out a year ago and will pair with Eric Berry to give the Vols one mean safety duo.

4. Chris Todd, QB, Auburn: It sounds like new Auburn offensive coordinator Tony Franklin is relegated to playing two quarterbacks early. If Todd's shoulder problems subside, the juco transfer is clearly the best option as a passer.

5. Raven Gray, DE, Auburn: Had it not been for the knee surgery that kept him out all spring, Gray would be even higher on this list. Tommy Tuberville called the touted juco transfer as good a defensive lineman as he's signed at Auburn.

6. Will Hill, S, Florida: With Dorian Munroe lost for the season, the Gators' depth at safety just got worse. Hill, a true freshman from Jersey City, N.J., and one of the plums of the class, will get every chance to start right away.

7. Jerrell Harris, LB, Alabama: Similar to Florida's safety issues, Alabama needs immediate help at linebacker. The 6-3, 215-pound Harris may be the answer on the strong side. Only a true freshman, Harris has great speed and pop.

8. Enrique Davis, TB, Ole Miss: Another new face Ole Miss fans will see early and often this season. Davis, one of the top prep school players in the country last year, is Houston Nutt's kind of back. He has power and speed.

9. Julio Jones, WR, Alabama: The much ballyhooed Jones looks like an NFL receiver right now, even if he is only a true freshman. We know he's oozing with talent. If he's also a quick learner, SEC defenses had better beware.

10. Blair Walsh, K, Georgia: Take one look at Georgia's schedule, and it's a safe bet the Bulldogs will be in a bunch of close games this season. Walsh, a true freshman, steps in as their kicker and should get a chance early to show off his strong leg.

In closing: I reserve the right to place asterisks in front of the names of defensive tackle Jerrell Powe and outside linebacker Patrick Trahan, both of Ole Miss, and defensive end Gerald Williams and tight end Brandon Warren, both of Tennessee. All four are transfers still awaiting final word on their eligibility for this season. At this point, it appears that all four have a pretty good shot to make it, which would be good news for the Rebels and Vols. I could also pick three or four more players from Alabama's highly rated signing class that will have an immediate impact. Others to watch are safety Mark Barron, receiver Burton Scott, cornerback Alonzo Lawrence and offensive tackle Tyler Love. And, yes Georgia fans, I, too, am anxious to see freshman receiver A.J. Green play. One final name I'll leave you with is Charles Mitchell of Mississippi State. The state of Mississippi's top prospect last year will start out at safety for the Bulldogs, but is physically ready to play just about anywhere ... and play well.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/sec/0-1-41/-Carefully--ranking-SEC-s-impact-newcomers.html?post=true

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
Re: (Carefully) Ranking SEC's impact newcomers
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2008, 11:31:51 AM »
Pretty fair list.  I actually find Todd a surprise to even be on there.  I know he had the shoulder thing and all but I thought Kodi was throwing well by the end of the spring and he certainly fits this offense better than Todd with his running ability.

I'm eager to see Raven Gray.  He's from this area and I saw him play several times in both football and basketball.  He was a freakin' beast then and was only about 230.  On a side note, Auburn has been Running Back U for decades now.  But, they're quickly becoming known for some killer DE's.  Marcus Washington, McClover, Groves, Jay Ratliff etc.  Now, Coleman is stepping up and Raven could be special.  I look for Antoine Carter, who they now have listed at 6'4" 253 (That's about 25 lbs. heavier than last year) to be All-America good before his playing days are over. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2008, 11:36:34 AM »
I thought Kodi was throwing well by the end of the spring

70+% in the final two scrimmages.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2008, 12:12:11 PM »
I would call that throwing the ball well, indeed.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2008, 12:35:36 PM »
I would call that throwing the ball well, indeed.
But noooooooooooooooo, everyone thinks Chris Todd is the master of the universe.  I have a feeling I am going to hate him by the end of the season. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall said, "Guys don't mind hitting Michael Vick in the open field, but when you see Cam, you have to think about how you're going to tackle him. He's like a big tight end coming at you."

wesfau2

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2008, 12:38:14 PM »
But noooooooooooooooo, everyone thinks Chris Todd is the master of the universe.  I have a feeling I am going to hate him by the end of the season. 

A Dan Cobb hatred or something more subdued, like a Penn Wagers hatred?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2008, 12:56:10 PM »
On that note, I've heard a rumor that the NCAA is close to granting Cobb a 16th year of eligibility, so this whole Burns/Todd debate may be moot.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2008, 01:30:05 PM »
Did he turn you down for a date or some shit?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

wesfau2

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2008, 01:45:24 PM »
On that note, I've heard a rumor that the NCAA is close to granting Cobb a 16th year of eligibility, so this whole Burns/Todd debate may be moot.

Howard just had a minor stroke.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2008, 01:46:22 PM »
Did he turn you down for a date or some shit?
Or some shit, he is a second stringer and is unproven.  Burns wins games. 
« Last Edit: July 18, 2008, 03:00:21 PM by AWK »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2008, 01:54:22 PM »
Or some shit, he id s second stringer and is unproven.  Burns wins game. 
Fixed that for you.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2008, 03:00:38 PM »
Fixed that for you.
No, I did, but the fact still remains. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2008, 03:04:01 PM »
No, I did, but the fact still remains. 

No, you missed his "fix".

Game, singular. 

I disagree, since Kodi played in a few games.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTailgatingRules

• Home of the Tailgate
  • By the Pink Dumpster since 2004
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2008, 03:10:14 PM »
Did we not lose the only game he started last year?  MSU
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2008, 03:12:36 PM »
Kodi didn't come in until it was apparent that Cox thought Auburn was wearing white that day.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2008, 03:21:08 PM »
Did we not lose the only game he started last year?  MSU
Yes.  I am not on the Chris Todd bandwagon by any stretch, but I am not sold on Kodi being "the guy" yet either.  I personally think a two-headed QB will be a great answer, as long as it isn't predictable.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

AUTailgatingRules

• Home of the Tailgate
  • By the Pink Dumpster since 2004
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2008, 03:31:51 PM »
Yes.  I am not on the Chris Todd bandwagon by any stretch, but I am not sold on Kodi being "the guy" yet either.  I personally think a two-headed QB will be a great answer, as long as it isn't predictable.

I agree, I want them to play whoever has the hot hand and can put up points.  I don't care if it's Kodi, Chris, Mario, or whomever.  To this point we have yet to see either one of them have to lead an Auburn team on the field as "the guy" to be taking sides as bad as some seem to want.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2008, 03:50:14 PM by AUTailgatingRules »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2008, 03:36:14 PM »
I think it should be Taylor.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

AWK

• Caller of the "Taint"
  • Damn Right.
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2008, 04:11:35 PM »
I agree, I want them to play whoever has the hot hand and can put up points.  I don't care if it's Kodi, Chris, Mario, or whomever.  To this point we have yet to see either one of them have to lead an Auburn team on the field as "the guy" to be taking sides as bad as some seem to want.
Kodi didn't start the MSU game, B. Cox did and Burns is the QB that gaves us a chance to win. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2008, 04:14:02 PM »
Kodi didn't start the MSU game, B. Cox did and Burns is the QB that gaves us a chance to win. 
Until he threw a pick late in the game that lead to the winning score.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions