Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Realistic Options

Realistic Options
« on: October 14, 2012, 02:05:35 PM »
Willie Taggart - Western Kentucky
Young.  Energetic.  36 years old. 
Harbaugh connection. 
Took Western Kentucky from 2-10 to 7-5 to now 5-1. 
Ebony skinned.  The media likes that sort of thing.

Charlie Strong - Louisville
Mid-aged for a head coach. 
Excellent track record as a defensive coordinator.
Took Louisville from 3-4 conference record to 5-2 conference record to this year's 6-0 overall record. 
Experience in the SEC.

Mark Hudspeth - LA Monroe
Younger. 
A proven winner at North Alabama and now at LA Monroe.  Beat Arkansas and nearly beat Auburn.
In previous 8 seasons, only three did not feature double digit wins.
Caucasian.  Auburn likes that sort of thing.

Mike Gundy - Oklahoma State
Definitely a different personality for the SEC. 
A proven winner.  Consistently good offense.  Rather poor defense.
A man.  He's 45.
Has not won less than 9 games since 2008. 
Caucasian.  Spikey hair. 

Unrealistic options:
Chris Petersen - He loves it in Boise.  He is not going to leave.
Gary Patterson - Again, loves it where he is.  Has shown no desire over the years to leave TCU.
Art Briles - A Texas guy and besides, he doesn't have much to show without RGIII as his quarterback. 
Paul Rhoades - Maybe he would come to Auburn, but I have a feeling he has no desire to clean up another Gene Chizik mess nor would he want to deal with our bullshit in the adminstration office.
Chip Kelly - It would cost too much money, and why would he leave one of the easiest gigs in college football? 

Notes:
Texas is more than likely coming open after this year.  To think that we'll land the #1 available head coach after firing a head coach two years removed from a BCS championship is looney-talk.  We'll have to get someone that we feel is a reliable coach that can build the program into something respectable. 

Gruden, Cowher, Rex Ryan, etc - please don't even think about those names.  For one, they aren't dropping down to the college ranks.  Two, why would you want them?  They want to run a complicated, NFL system that wins.  They want to get any player they want that can help them win.  I wouldn't trust them one second to not go out and blatantly pay for players nor would I expect them to be able to relate to college kids and their parents. 

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

JR4AU

Re: Realistic Options
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2012, 02:13:54 PM »
Willie Taggart - Western Kentucky
Young.  Energetic.  36 years old. 
Harbaugh connection. 
Took Western Kentucky from 2-10 to 7-5 to now 5-1. 

Charlie Strong - Louisville
Mid-aged for a head coach. 
Excellent track record as a defensive coordinator.
Took Louisville from 3-4 conference record to 5-2 conference record to this year's 6-0 overall record. 
Experience in the SEC.

Mark Hudspeth - LA Monroe
Younger. 
A proven winner at North Alabama and now at LA Monroe.  Beat Arkansas and nearly beat Auburn.
In previous 8 seasons, only three did not feature double digit wins.
Caucasian.  Auburn likes that sort of thing.

Mike Gundy - Oklahoma State
Definitely a different personality for the SEC. 
A proven winner.  Consistently good offense.  Rather poor defense.
A man.  He's 45.
Has not won less than 9 games since 2008. 
Caucasian.  Spikey hair. 

Unrealistic options:
Chris Petersen - He loves it in Boise.  He is not going to leave.
Gary Patterson - Again, loves it where he is.  Has shown no desire over the years to leave TCU.
Art Briles - A Texas guy and besides, he doesn't have much to show without RGIII as his quarterback. 
Paul Rhoades - Maybe he would come to Auburn, but I have a feeling he has no desire to clean up another Gene Chizik mess nor would he want to deal with our bullshit in the adminstration office.
Chip Kelly - It would cost too much money, and why would he leave one of the easiest gigs in college football? 

Notes:
Texas is more than likely coming open after this year.  To think that we'll land the #1 available head coach after firing a head coach two years removed from a BCS championship is looney-talk.  We'll have to get someone that we feel is a reliable coach that can build the program into something respectable. 

Gruden, Cowher, Rex Ryan, etc - please don't even think about those names.  For one, they aren't dropping down to the college ranks.  Two, why would you want them?  They want to run a complicated, NFL system that wins.  They want to get any player they want that can help them win.  I wouldn't trust them one second to not go out and blatantly pay for players nor would I expect them to be able to relate to college kids and their parents.

Paul Rhoades would come in a heartbeat.  Other than not having an SEC QB, there's no mess to clean up here, the players just need coaching. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2012, 02:19:16 PM »
Paul Rhoades would come in a heartbeat.  Other than not having an SEC QB, there's no mess to clean up here, the players just need coaching.

Agree. And after hearing his locker room speeches, I'd take him in a min

No offense ths, but that was one of the more flawed writings I've seen from you - From the not so funny race references to the reasoning beside every coach.

The mess we have is the staff and AD. The cupboard isn't lacking.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

JR4AU

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2012, 02:21:36 PM »
Add Larry Fedora to your list too.  He was 34-19 in 4 years at USM, and is 5-2 this year at NC.  Has a good range of experience with stops at Baylor, Air Force, Florida, and Okie State.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

DnATL

• Xcrement talker
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2012, 02:21:55 PM »
Do not want Petersen, do not want (no-way-in-hell) Kelly

Remember after Tubs replaced his first pair of coordinators after '01, Chizik took the DC spot after the first guy re-considered and stayed-put at Pitt.  That first guy?  Paul Rhoads
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2012, 02:25:07 PM »

No offense ths, but that was one of the more flawed writings I've seen from you - From the not so funny race references to the reasoning beside every coach.

Not to mention bad information.  Hudspeth is the coach at Louisiana Lafayette, not ULM, though THS got the info on his record correct.  Todd Berry is the HC at ULM. 
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 02:33:00 PM by JR4AU »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

DnATL

• Xcrement talker
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2012, 02:27:36 PM »
In other words, his grade for your essay = F
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2012, 03:14:48 PM »

Fuck off.  The post wasn't meant to be funny or entertaining for you or anyone else.  You all want to jerk off to big name coaching candidates?  Go ahead.  Splooge all over your computer screen.  Keep it off mine though.  It's been clean since this cluster fuck started last year. 

And some of you don't think this is a mess?  Haaaaaaaaaaa.  That's comedy.  This is historically one of if not the worst auburn team in history.  It's not just a quarterback.  It's an ineptitude across the entire program starting with whatever dumbfuck hired jay Jacobs.  It's at least a two year rebuilding job if we hire someone decent.

And Paul Rhoades would as quickly come to auburn as he would Texas tech to be tuberville's dc.   

And sue me for typing Monroe instead of Lafayette. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

JR4AU

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2012, 03:36:58 PM »
Fuck off.  The post wasn't meant to be funny or entertaining for you or anyone else.  You all want to jerk off to big name coaching candidates?  Go ahead.  Splooge all over your computer screen.  Keep it off mine though.  It's been clean since this cluster fuck started last year. 

And some of you don't think this is a mess?  Haaaaaaaaaaa.  That's comedy.  This is historically one of if not the worst auburn team in history.  It's not just a quarterback.  It's an ineptitude across the entire program starting with whatever dumbfuck hired jay Jacobs.  It's at least a two year rebuilding job if we hire someone decent.

And Paul Rhoades would as quickly come to auburn as he would Texas tech to be tuberville's dc.   

And sue me for typing Monroe instead of Lafayette.

You didn't just type Monroe instead of Lafayette, you said he'd beaten Ark. and almost beaten Auburn.  He's played neither this year. 

Yes, this team is a mess, but it's not like the mess of 1998.  We are not without players.  We have players lacking coaching.   We have an offense with no identity.  We have no sense of urgency, or intensity.  I'm betting that the right coach, and right system could make one of the 4 QBs (including the recruit out of Montgomery) a serviceable QB.  Loeffler clearly can't do it and/or run an offense. 

What the fuck do you know about what's in Paul Rhoads head, or what job he'd take...Prowler?  If he's stupid enough to turn down Auburn to stay at ISU, then I damn sure don't want him anyway. 

Get the sand out of your vagina Francis. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2012, 03:40:08 PM »
I can get on the Charlie Strong bandwagon. I believe GF has already started a private fund and filled the Auburn jet gas tank in efforts to lure him to Auburn. I do believe, however, that Patterson would come
to Auburn for the right price.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2012, 03:51:33 PM »
I can get on the Charlie Strong bandwagon. I believe GF has already started a private fund and filled the Auburn jet gas tank in efforts to lure him to Auburn. I do believe, however, that Patterson would come
to Auburn for the right price.

Hard for me to believe Patterson hasn't turned down offers on par with Auburn.  Or, if not that, then there's a reason nobody's wanted him.  Never heard anything bad about him.  There's a reason (whatever it is) that a coach that's averaged just shy of 10 wins a year, is still at TCU, and my guess is he's comfortable there, and at 52 years of age, isn't wanting to suddenly drop in to the pressure cooker that is the SEC.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

djsimp

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2012, 03:53:37 PM »
Hard for me to believe Patterson hasn't turned down offers on par with Auburn.  Or, if not that, then there's a reason nobody's wanted him.  Never heard anything bad about him.  There's a reason (whatever it is) that a coach that's averaged just shy of 10 wins a year, is still at TCU, and my guess is he's comfortable there, and at 52 years of age, isn't wanting to suddenly drop in to the pressure cooker that is the SEC.

That very well may be the case but a kid can dream.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2012, 03:58:16 PM »
That very well may be the case but a kid can dream.
Don't worry, after they run through this Big 12 Conference Schedule this year, and drop 3 or 4, everyone will say "he can't coach big time football".
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

RWS

• The guy your mother warned you about
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2012, 04:12:17 PM »
What the fuck do you know about what's in Paul Rhoads head, or what job he'd take...Prowler?  If he's stupid enough to turn down Auburn to stay at ISU, then I damn sure don't want him anyway. 
A few things to think about on that.

A 6 win season at ISU is like a national championship to them.  They're 4-2 right now, and they were competitive in their losses to #15 Kansas St and Texas Tech. They beat #15 TCU by two scores.  PR has them on track.  A 6 win season at Auburn is unacceptable.  He may already know how fucked up the AD at Auburn is as well.  Not saying he absolutely wouldn't bolt for AU if offered, but I'm not so sure that he would crawl over broken glass to try to put out a trailer fire either.  He might know his limitations and might know that he wouldn't be overly successful either (not saying he wouldn't be; just saying hypothetically).  Only he knows what he would do, and it may not be the slam dunk no brainer that you think it is.  If Jacobs really is that much of a douche, I doubt Rhoads would be on Auburn's list anyway. 
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 04:14:09 PM by RWS »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

JR4AU

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2012, 04:22:42 PM »
A few things to think about on that.

A 6 win season at ISU is like a national championship to them.  They're 4-2 right now, and they were competitive in their losses to #15 Kansas St and Texas Tech. They beat #15 TCU by two scores.  PR has them on track.  A 6 win season at Auburn is unacceptable.  He may already know how fucked up the AD at Auburn is as well.  Not saying he absolutely wouldn't bolt for AU if offered, but I'm not so sure that he would crawl over broken glass to try to put out a trailer fire either.  He might know his limitations and might know that he wouldn't be overly successful either (not saying he wouldn't be; just saying hypothetically).  Only he knows what he would do, and it may not be the slam dunk no brainer that you think it is.  If Jacobs really is that much of a douche, I doubt Rhoads would be on Auburn's list anyway.

The guy is "winning" at a program that's had 1 coach with an overall winning record the last 50 years, and doing it for a hair over $1Mil a year.  Auburn could get him for a song at $2.25Mil, and double his salary.  Money talks, bullshit walks.  If he wouldn't come, then he's either fucking stupid, or Auburn's "behind the scenes" is THAT fucked up, and I'm not discounting that possibility either.    You don't take a job at ISU unless you hope to parlay it in to something better, so I'm guessing he has his eyes on a better gig. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Six

• Leaning on a broken fence b/t past & present tense
    • My Linktree
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2012, 04:24:49 PM »
I recommend the Key Lime Pie ice cream Blue Bell has it now. It is very good.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I'm sick of following my dreams...I'm just going to ask them where they are going and hook up with 'em later." - Mitch Hedberg

jmar

« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2012, 04:39:05 PM »
The guy is "winning" at a program that's had 1 coach with an overall winning record the last 50 years, and doing it for a hair over $1Mil a year.  Auburn could get him for a song at $2.25Mil, and double his salary.  Money talks, bullshit walks.  If he wouldn't come, then he's either fucking stupid, or Auburn's "behind the scenes" is THAT fucked up, and I'm not discounting that possibility either.    You don't take a job at ISU unless you hope to parlay it in to something better, so I'm guessing he has his eyes on a better gig.
I'm good with Rhodes, Patterson and Strong. And I haven't forgotten Jim Leavitt either. The guy can build a program from scratch into a winner and stuck it out there until that alleged striking incident of a player. He is currently the LB coach with the 49ers. I'm sure the stigma would be too much for some but I could handle a proven winner.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

RWS

• The guy your mother warned you about
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2012, 04:41:07 PM »
I guess the question is, if AU is going to spend the money on buying Chizik out, and they want to spend some money on a new HC and staff, is it smart to go after another Gene Chizik type?  Unless they get a slam dunk no brainer (whether perceived as so or otherwise already proven), I think AU fans will be pretty pissed.  The AD has proven that they can't pick out that under the radar type guy, and they know they can't make the wrong choice again.  That's part of the reason I think that you guys will go after a top shelf type guy.  Assuming that Jacobs realizes a change needs to be made in the first place, of course.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"You're too stupid to realize that I'm one of the levelheaded Auburn fans around here" - The Prowler

djsimp

« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2012, 04:42:00 PM »
I'm good with Rhodes, Patterson and Strong. And I haven't forgotten Jim Leavitt either. The guy can build a program from scratch into a winner and stuck it out there until that alleged striking incident of a player. He is currently the LB coach with the 49ers. I'm sure the stigma would be too much for some but I could handle a proven winner.

From the sounds of what goes on at Auburn practices, some of the current players need a Jim Leavitt
type around.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2012, 04:50:11 PM »
I guess the question is, if AU is going to spend the money on buying Chizik out, and they want to spend some money on a new HC and staff, is it smart to go after another Gene Chizik type?  Unless they get a slam dunk no brainer (whether perceived as so or otherwise already proven), I think AU fans will be pretty pissed.  The AD has proven that they can't pick out that under the radar type guy, and they know they can't make the wrong choice again.  That's part of the reason I think that you guys will go after a top shelf type guy.  Assuming that Jacobs realizes a change needs to be made in the first place, of course.

Tell me who that "top shelf" guy is right now. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions