Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Nice Article On J. Holsey

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
Nice Article On J. Holsey
« on: October 02, 2012, 02:15:27 PM »
A couple of things stand out in this piece....things we've complained about for the 3 years prior to this one.  copypasta al.com

AUBURN, Alabama -- A cornerback's life is built around big moments. Of all the plays a team runs in a game, a corner may find himself in the spotlight on only a half-dozen, and that's if he's an every-down player.  A nickel back may get even less chances to make an impact.

But Josh Holsey made the most of his opportunity against LSU. Locked in 1-on-1 coverage against speedy LSU all-purpose threat Russell Shepard, Holsey stayed in lockstep, went up and made a play on Zach Mettenberger's deep ball to deny Shepard the score.

"When I saw the ball I was like ‘I can’t let him catch this ball’," Holsey said. "My adrenaline just started rushing. We work every day in practice getting the ball out of the receivers hands and just playing the ball."

For an Auburn secondary looking for somebody to step up and make a play, the true freshman's spotlight swat came at the perfect time. Auburn's secondary has been a revolving door of new faces through the first four weeks of the season. Six cornerbacks have seen extended playing time in at least one game this season, and five -- Chris Davis, Jonathon Mincy, T'Sharvan Bell, Ryan White and Holsey -- have been a part of Auburn's nickel package so far.  All the shifting has been done with a purpose.

After repeatedly failing to make plays on the ball in the air in recent years, new secondary coach Willie Martinez and defensive coordinator Brian VanGorder are trying to find somebody who can limit completions.  "I know everybody saw the play he made down deep down on the post," Martinez said. "In a game like that, in the moment that it was, it's always good to see a young kid make a play like that."

Holsey took over as Auburn's third cornerback against LSU. Playing largely in place of T'Sharvan Bell, Holsey substituted as part of Auburn's nickel package, allowing Chris Davis to slide into the slot.  Asked to play roughly 30 plays, Holsey held up well, making two tackles -- including a stop of tight end Chase Clement in the red zone -- and breaking up the deep ball to Shepard.

"I was pretty nervous though when I actually realized I was going in," Holsey said. "I was getting a lot of reps and I was nervous, but once I got in there I got the hang of things and just started to play.”  Both Holsey and fellow freshman Jonathan Jones have been pushing for playing time with their work on special teams and an improved understanding of Auburn's defensive schemes.

The Tigers have used a lot of matchup zone in recent weeks, a tough concept for some young players to grasp.  Holsey has picked it up quickly.  "You're looking at the evolution of a young guy starting to learn the defense and play with confidence," head coach Gene Chizik said. "That one post he stayed on top of and he didn't have any help -- that was a big play."

Holsey's job will not get any easier this Saturday. Arkansas receiver Cobi Hamilton has 21 catches for 465 yards in his last two games, and Razorbacks quarterback Tyler Wilson is averaging 338.8 yards per game in four starts.  But the first big play is out of the way.  Now Hosley will try to carve out a permanent role in Auburn's ever-shifting secondary.

"I felt confident because, being on the sideline and watching all the people above me play, I just knew what I needed to do and what not to do going in,” Holsey said.  "Now I feel like any game I get in is just like a regular game now that I got all my nerves out.”

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."