Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

New Game to Play

New Game to Play
« on: August 24, 2012, 06:56:28 PM »
So, I haven't played a video game since Batman came out about a year ago. 

Anything out there I should play? 

I'm not really a fan of Call of Duty games or other military style first person shooters. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

Re: New Game to Play
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2012, 11:37:05 PM »
I've enjoyed the Mass Effect series, although was a bit disappointed in the ending of ME3.  Skyrim will consume a large amount of your time.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2012, 11:32:44 AM »
I've enjoyed the Mass Effect series, although was a bit disappointed in the ending of ME3.  Skyrim will consume a large amount of your time.

look like you are playing on a Commodore 64.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

Vandy Vol

• Bitches ain't shit but hos and tricks.
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2012, 01:09:29 PM »
So, I haven't played a video game since Batman came out about a year ago. 

Anything out there I should play? 

I'm not really a fan of Call of Duty games or other military style first person shooters.

Do you like games which incorporate first/third person shooters, but aren't just shooting games?  Skyrim and Borderlands might be up your alley.  There's a sequel to Borderlands that is coming out on September 18, so you could pick up the original for cheap and try it out.

If you like open world, "sandbox" type games, the Assassin's Creed series is fun.  The first one is very repetitive and not as large of a world as I'd like, but they improve upon it vastly in subsequent releases.  Assassin's Creed III is set to release on October 30, and makes a major change by being set during the American Revolution.

GTA V is going to be released relatively soon, but no idea when yet.  They always tend to be very well done.  Red Dead Redemption is an awesome game made by Rockstar that is similar to the GTA series, but set in the wild west.

I've heard great things about Infamous and Prototype, but have not played either.  They're both sandbox games centered around a protagonist (you) that develops super powers.  As you play along, your powers can be bettered and you can obtain new ones.  Both have sequels; Prototype 2 was released in April 2012, and Infamous 2 was released in June 2011.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." - Dean Martin

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2012, 01:19:55 PM »
I'm a true dork when it comes to video games.

I like Final Fantasy, Chronotrigger, and Zelda type games. 

Give me a cartoon story with some puzzles and action and a long, extensive plot to work my way through and I'm happy. 

Borderlands looks interesting. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

Vandy Vol

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2012, 01:54:41 PM »

Give me a cartoon story with some puzzles and action and a long, extensive plot to work my way through and I'm happy. 

Borderlands is a third person shooter.  It's somewhat similar to the Fallout series in that it does mix in some RPG elements, but it is mostly a shooting game.  I wouldn't pass it up due to the original being available for $20, but just know that it's less RPG and more action.

Blue Dragon is an RPG that was made by Final Fantasy's creator.  A lot of the art was done by a guy who worked on Chrono Trigger.  It's an older game that was released in 2006 in Japan, then 2007 in America, but it's worth checking out if you like that genre.  It was the first 360 game to use multiple discs, so it is a long plot.  They were supposed to make a sequel, but instead focused on making smaller spin-offs for the Nintendo DS.

Star Ocean: The Last Hope is another older RPG that was released in 2009.  The series has been around since 1996.  Never played it, but have heard great things.

I've also heard good things about Overlord and its sequel, but have played neither.

Have you played any of the Fable series?  Nothing too great, but definitely worth checking out.  There are tons of things to do, so you'll be playing it for awhile (although not as long as Skyrim by any means).
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." - Dean Martin

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2012, 05:53:15 PM »
I've also heard good things about Overlord and its sequel, but have played neither.

I was a bit disappointed by Overlord, and didn't check out sequel.  Not a real RPG type game.

VV, thoughts on Mass Effect?  For my money, one of the best stories in Video Games.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Vandy Vol

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2012, 11:02:44 PM »
I was a bit disappointed by Overlord, and didn't check out sequel.  Not a real RPG type game.

VV, thoughts on Mass Effect?  For my money, one of the best stories in Video Games.

I've been a big fan of BioWare ever since Baldur's Gate back in the late 90's.  I never played the first Mass Effect, but did play the second one a little.  Never owned it, but did enjoy the portions I got to play; it's just one of those games that I have yet to go buy and play it through.

The story seemed great, and the ability to transport your previous character and game decisions into the sequels seems pretty cool.  Now that you've reminded me about it, I need to pick up the first two and play them through.

Most RPGs made by BioWare or Bethesda are solid, and both companies have begun to favor the third person shooter/RPG combo over the past decade or so.  I like to keep an eye on what both companies have in store for future games.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2012, 12:26:02 AM »

Skyrim would be right up your alley.  You can play as long and on as many tangents as you want.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You meet a man on the Oregon Trail. He tells you his name is Terry. You laugh and tell him: "That's a girl's name!" Terry shoots you. You have died of dissin' Terry.