Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Anyone use "straight talk"?

Yoda

Anyone use "straight talk"?
« on: August 22, 2012, 11:03:07 PM »
Currently spending $140 on AT&T cell phone per month.  Have an iPhone and have looked into switching to straight talk through Wal Mart.  Apparently you can buy a straight talk sim card for $15 call AT&T tell them to unlock your phone and use this straight talk plan.  It's $45 a month for unlimited everything. 

From what I can tell its basically a month to month pre paid phone deal.  You can have it set up to deduct from your checking account every month so you don't have to buy a card every month.  Looks like they piggy back off of either AT&T or sprints towers.

Any of you techy folk know about this?  Is the service worth a shit?  Anyone using it currently?  I'm all about saving $100 a month if this is for real.  For work I have to use phone all day, and need good service.  Use over 1000 minutes a month.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
A girl's legs are her best friends, but the best of friends must part.
-- Redd Foxx

Vandy Vol

• Bitches ain't shit but hos and tricks.
Re: Anyone use "straight talk"?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2012, 11:29:34 PM »
Currently spending $140 on AT&T cell phone per month.  Have an iPhone and have looked into switching to straight talk through Wal Mart.  Apparently you can buy a straight talk sim card for $15 call AT&T tell them to unlock your phone and use this straight talk plan.  It's $45 a month for unlimited everything. 

From what I can tell its basically a month to month pre paid phone deal.  You can have it set up to deduct from your checking account every month so you don't have to buy a card every month.  Looks like they piggy back off of either AT&T or sprints towers.

Any of you techy folk know about this?  Is the service worth a shit?  Anyone using it currently?  I'm all about saving $100 a month if this is for real.  For work I have to use phone all day, and need good service.  Use over 1000 minutes a month.

Chances are that the service is spotty.  As a broke college kid, I got a prepaid plan with Virgin Mobile.  Worked fine for me since I was in Nashville or other large cities mostly.  It had issues with service in rural areas, moreso than with other carriers.

Virgin Mobile supposedly operates on Sprint towers.  However, I don't think actual Sprint customers have the same service issues.  I think you may get some sort of partial coverage with the pre-paid plans, and not the entire area that a Sprint or AT&T account holder would receive.

I don't know if it's possible for them to do that, or even if they do that, but from my experience with Virgin Mobile, I do not get the same service coverage as Sprint customers.  For instance, my service goes out in a specific area in southern Tennessee, yet Sprint's coverage map indicates they provide cellular service there with a "good" signal.  And people with a Sprint account get a signal there.

Don't know if it's just Virgin Mobile, or if every pre-paid cellular company has that issue, but it's one thing to be wary of.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." - Dean Martin

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012, 01:18:44 AM »
I called the number but the girl who answered didn't sound anything like the girls on TV. 

The ones on TV sound like they're almost purring they're so horny and eager to chat with you. They're just lounging around the house in skimpy clothes with their sweet teased hair, breathlessly hoping some random guy will call in so they can tell him all about their aches and needs.

But when I call they sound wheezy, hacking and like they've maybe got a biscuit or two in their jowls. 

I'm calling false advertising. 

Oh wait, that's not 'straight talk' 

nevermind....
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

Yoda

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2012, 07:53:30 AM »
Thanks VV, I kind assumed that to be the case. 

Kaos, did you at least let her tell you what she could do with a tomatoe?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
-- Redd Foxx

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2012, 10:25:02 AM »
Chances are that the service is spotty.  As a broke college kid, I got a prepaid plan with Virgin Mobile.  Worked fine for me since I was in Nashville or other large cities mostly.  It had issues with service in rural areas, moreso than with other carriers.

Virgin Mobile supposedly operates on Sprint towers.  However, I don't think actual Sprint customers have the same service issues.  I think you may get some sort of partial coverage with the pre-paid plans, and not the entire area that a Sprint or AT&T account holder would receive.

I don't know if it's possible for them to do that, or even if they do that, but from my experience with Virgin Mobile, I do not get the same service coverage as Sprint customers.  For instance, my service goes out in a specific area in southern Tennessee, yet Sprint's coverage map indicates they provide cellular service there with a "good" signal.  And people with a Sprint account get a signal there.

Don't know if it's just Virgin Mobile, or if every pre-paid cellular company has that issue, but it's one thing to be wary of.

You just got it because it was named Virgin and you thought you would get a nice fresh manly butthole out of the deal.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Vandy Vol

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2012, 11:10:29 AM »
You just got it because it was named Virgin and you thought you would get a nice fresh manly butthole out of the deal.

Can you blame me?  $20 a month for a tight butthole is an awesome price.  You usually only get those types of deals in Bangkok, but those seven year old Thais never wind up being real ass virgins.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." - Dean Martin

GH2001

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2012, 11:20:38 AM »
Can you blame me?  $20 a month for a tight butthole is an awesome price.  You usually only get those types of deals in Bangkok, but those seven year old Thais never wind up being real ass virgins.

Well played.

Gives a whole new meaning to the "Pad Thai" dish I order, now. Thanks a lot.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2012, 11:45:47 AM »
Couple of things:

1. If you are still under contract with AT&T it is not $15 to unlock your phone.  It will be whatever it is to break your contract.  Because they will not unlock it if you are under contract.
2. If you are no longer under contract you can unlock your iPhone, it will cost you nothing.  You have to call them and then fax them paperwork with info they ask for.   Takes about 4-7 days.
3. You have to make sure the service you switch to, supports the iPhone and is a GSM carrier.
4. The only carriers I am aware of that are currently GSM carriers are TMobile and AT&T.
5. Phone service is spotty, texting and internet sucks.

I know the above because I have done it.  My iPhone is currently unlocked and I have TMobile monthly service.  $50 for unlimited vs $100 I was paying at AT&T.  Here is the problem Tmobile service is spotty at my work and at home.  The two areas my phone is most likely at.  The phone service is fine, but since I have a work cell my personal phone is usually just used for text messages.  TMobile because they do not offer the iPhone has to be specially configured on the phone, and it still only works 60% of the time.  I can usually get the text to go through but it may take me resending it 3 -7 times. Really bad with media texts.  The internet is slow and useless most of the time I just use my Verizon work phone.

Bottom line, I am considering moving back to AT&T cause the thing really drives me nuts.  I am trying to be patient because supposedly TMobile is updating their broadcast bands, and is supposed to be fully functioning by the end of the year.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

GH2001

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2012, 01:54:23 PM »
Couple of things:

1. If you are still under contract with AT&T it is not $15 to unlock your phone.  It will be whatever it is to break your contract.  Because they will not unlock it if you are under contract.
2. If you are no longer under contract you can unlock your iPhone, it will cost you nothing.  You have to call them and then fax them paperwork with info they ask for.   Takes about 4-7 days.
3. You have to make sure the service you switch to, supports the iPhone and is a GSM carrier.
4. The only carriers I am aware of that are currently GSM carriers are TMobile and AT&T.

I know the above because I have done it.  My iPhone is currently unlocked and I have TMobile monthly service.  $50 for unlimited vs $100 I was paying at AT&T.  Here is the problem Tmobile service is spotty at my work and at home.  The two areas my phone is most likely at.  The phone service is fine, but since I have a work cell my personal phone is usually just used for text messages.  TMobile because they do not offer the iPhone has to be specially configured on the phone, and it still only works 60% of the time.  I can usually get the text to go through but it may take me resending it 3 -7 times. Really bad with media texts.  The internet is slow and useless most of the time I just use my Verizon work phone.

Bottom line, I am considering moving back to AT&T cause the thing really drives me nuts.  I am trying to be patient because supposedly TMobile is updating their broadcast bands, and is supposed to be fully functioning by the end of the year.

This guy knows.

Of course when LTE is 100% all the GSM stuff won't matter. I had TMobile for my corporate phone a couple of years back and it was horrible.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Yoda

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2012, 09:11:31 PM »
Couple of things:

What  is GSM?

The guy I talked to At Wal Mart said that I could use my iPhone as long as I bought the $15 sim card.  I am not under contract, just worried that the service will suck. Guess I won't know unless I try it. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
-- Redd Foxx

Vandy Vol

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2012, 09:58:05 PM »
What  is GSM?

It's the type of network that the carrier uses to transmit data.  There are two types of networks:  CDMA and GSM.  A phone that's made to operate on a GSM network won't work on a CDMA network, and vice versa.

According to das intarwebz, the Straight Talk program has options for both GSM and CDMA phones (because they apparently use both Verizon and AT&T networks), so you're good to go in that regard.  Straight Talk also has a roaming agreement with T-Mobile if you have a GSM phone that will be on the AT&T network.  CDMA phones on the Straight Talk plan are on the Verizon network.

Also, read the terms of service very carefully.  Although these plans are "unlimited," they often have streaming and tethering limitations.  Exceeding their limitations may cause your contract to be canceled, and you may lose your number.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Yoda

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2012, 08:06:41 AM »
It's the type of network that the carrier uses to transmit data.  There are two types of networks:  CDMA and GSM.  A phone that's made to operate on a GSM network won't work on a CDMA network, and vice versa.

According to das intarwebz, the Straight Talk program has options for both GSM and CDMA phones (because they apparently use both Verizon and AT&T networks), so you're good to go in that regard.  Straight Talk also has a roaming agreement with T-Mobile if you have a GSM phone that will be on the AT&T network.  CDMA phones on the Straight Talk plan are on the Verizon network.

Also, read the terms of service very carefully.  Although these plans are "unlimited," they often have streaming and tethering limitations.  Exceeding their limitations may cause your contract to be canceled, and you may lose your number.

Thank you
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
-- Redd Foxx

GH2001

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2012, 02:31:02 PM »
Thank you

The big diff people notice between the 2 is the ability to have data and talk on phone at same time. Basically you can't look up movie times if you are on the line with someone. CDMA is a little more reliable on the phone end but is more limited - i.e. You can only do one or the other (phone or data), as its an older technology. But like I said, LTE will make both obsolete soon anyway.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2012, 01:25:18 PM »
Well I can let you know in a couple of days.  Since you brought this to my attention, I have done more research and the fact it uses AT&T's towers I thought I might give it a try.  I ordered teh sim and it is being overnighted tonight.

Will let you know how service is.

I hate T-Mobile....that is all.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2012, 05:07:03 PM »
Well I can let you know in a couple of days.  Since you brought this to my attention, I have done more research and the fact it uses AT&T's towers I thought I might give it a try.  I ordered teh sim and it is being overnighted tonight.

Will let you know how service is.

I hate T-Mobile....that is all.
HALLELUJA !!!!

Sooooooo much better than T-mobile, I have my personal cell phone back. Yoda u da man, and you didn't even know it.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

Vandy Vol

« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2012, 05:28:46 PM »
HALLELUJA !!!!

Sooooooo much better than T-mobile, I have my personal cell phone back. Yoda u da man, and you didn't even know it.

Anything hidden in the ToS about actual data limitations on the "unlimited" plan?  I don't know if Straight Talk does this, but I know that it was relatively common for most prepaid providers to pull that type of shit.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2012, 07:11:58 PM »
Anything hidden in the ToS about actual data limitations on the "unlimited" plan?  I don't know if Straight Talk does this, but I know that it was relatively common for most prepaid providers to pull that type of shit.
Data limitations for streaming movie downloads. Also cannot use device as a Internet hub.

I don't care about that, my work phone is unlimited verizon with an Internet hub. Plus I don't watch movies on my iPhone.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

chinook

« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2012, 10:46:04 PM »
HALLELUJA !!!!

oh good.  i was wondering why you hadn't been responding to my texts. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions