Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

Best Guitarists of All Time

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
Re: Best Guitarists of All Time
« Reply #40 on: July 11, 2008, 10:03:21 AM »
Thanks for fixing that, BrChad.  The internets mess me up.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2008, 10:30:16 AM by AUChizad »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

Saniflush

• Pledge Master
« Reply #41 on: July 11, 2008, 10:15:50 AM »
You would think a future member of the Alabama Bar would know that. 

One would.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hey my friends are the ones that wanted to eat at that shitty hole in the wall that only served bread and wine.  What kind of brick and mud business model is that.  Stick to the cart if that's all you're going to serve.  Then that dude came in with like 12 other people, and some of them weren't even wearing shoes, and the restaurant sat them right across from us. It was gross, and they were all stinky and dirty.  Then dude starts talking about eating his body and drinking his blood...I almost lost it.  That's the last supper I'll ever have there, and I hope he dies a horrible death."

War Eagle!!!

• The Original Backwards Hat
« Reply #42 on: July 11, 2008, 11:43:46 AM »
The video is messed up...

And Charley Murphy claims that Prince is a hell of a basket ball player too...
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

DnATL

• Xcrement talker
« Reply #43 on: July 11, 2008, 09:26:59 PM »
Alright, our sample is small, but you guys are like crack-addled rhesus monkeys with ADD.

The point is that there is one guitarist who is routinely ignored on lists like this.  Kudos to Randall for being the only voter to include him:  Prince.

If you need convincing, peep the following video (if you only want to see Prince's jaw-dropping performance, skip to about the 3 minute mark, but the entire performance is worth watching).  This is Tom Petty and friends paying tribute to George Harrison at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony where Harrison and Prince (among others) were admitted:

The video could have been improved if his guitar spewed forth ejaculate (circa Purple Rain tour), and if at the end, he said "game, blouses".  Oh well - must have been on network TV or basic cable....
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

wesfau2

• I love it when you call me Big Poppa
« Reply #44 on: July 12, 2008, 09:12:49 PM »
I just watched it again...and again, if we're telling the truth....Prince is a bad motherfucker.  If you listen to that and don't have some sort of visceral reaction then you're probably dead and jumbo will be around to jam a carrot in your ass in a few minutes.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You can keep a wooden stake in your trunk
On the off-chance that the fairy tales ain't bunk
And Imma keep a bottle of that funk
To get motel parking lot, balcony crunk.

Pell City Tiger

• Moral Highlander
« Reply #45 on: July 12, 2008, 10:06:21 PM »
Dickey Betts
Duane Almann
Slash
Clay Lespool
Jimi Hendrix
Dave Hlubek
Dave Stewart
Jerry Garcia
Kurt Cobain
Kirk Hammeth
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I stood up, unzipped my pants, lowered my shorts and placed my bare ass on the window. That's the last thing I wanted those people to see of me."

« Reply #46 on: July 13, 2008, 03:44:57 AM »
Good God...are people really saying that Kurt Cobain and Tom Morello are part of the top ten greatest guitar players of all time? 

If your list doesn't include Tommy Emmanuel, Django Reinhardt, Chet Atkins, Joscho Stephan, Jason Becker, Luca Turilli, Birelli Lagrene, Stochelo Rosenburg, Stevie Ray Vaughn, George Benson, Joe Pass, Lenny Breau, Les Paul, Eddie Van Halen, then you haven't done much research. 

Look those guys up.  I suggest youtubing these songs:

Tommy Emmanuel - Guitar Boogie, Train to Dusseldorf, or Initiation

Django Reinhardt - Nuages (But you won't find much from him)

Chet Atkins - Londonderry Aire, Poor People of Paris

Joscho Stephan - Bossa Dorado, La Gitane

Jason Becker - Serrana Arpeggios

Luca Turilli - The solos to When Demons Awake or Unholy Warcry

Birelli Lagrene - Anything you can find.  Probably the best jazz player of all time.

Stochelo Rosenburg -

Stevie Ray Vaughn - The Sky is Crying or his arrangement of Little Wing

George Benson - Take Five

Joe Pass - All the Things You Are

Lenny Breau - (This guy is legendary) - Georgia on My Mind

Les Paul - Avalon

Eddie Van Halen - Eruption

Etc, etc, etc. 

There's a lot of great guitarists (and other musicians) that don't get enough credit.  The criteria for top ten or best guitar players shouldn't be based on which guitar player you've listened to the most on the radio.  Example of a shitty guitar player who had a good band - Kurt Cobain.  Example of a pioneer who had enormous talent and innovation - Jimi Hendrix.  Example of a virtuoso who revolutionized jazz guitar and should be taught to every kid in school - Django Reinhardt. 

Consider yourselves informed.  I'm going to go sit in my room and contemplate what my level of guitar nerd is.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

Kaos

• Jeez
    • No, YOU Move!
« Reply #47 on: July 13, 2008, 11:13:38 AM »
Yingwhatever Mamwhatever
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If you want free cheese, look in a mousetrap.

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #48 on: July 13, 2008, 12:09:53 PM »
Example of a shitty guitar player who had a good band - Kurt Cobain.  Example of a pioneer who had enormous talent and innovation - Jimi Hendrix. 
This is very true for Kurt Cobain, but I don't see how you can lump Tom Morello into that, and then praise Jimi Hendrix for his "enormous talent and innovation".  Morello's greatness lies in the exact same qualities. Essentially he is the Jimi Hendrix of our generation.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #49 on: July 13, 2008, 02:45:16 PM »
This is very true for Kurt Cobain, but I don't see how you can lump Tom Morello into that, and then praise Jimi Hendrix for his "enormous talent and innovation".  Morello's greatness lies in the exact same qualities. Essentially he is the Jimi Hendrix of our generation.

Maybe I haven't listened to enough of him, but what I heard from Rage Against the Machine was lackluster.  He had a cool sounding solo on Bulls on a Parade, but I can't think of anything else he did that was extraordinary. 

Now Hendrix, he did things that revolutionized electric guitar.  Nobody played the way he did when he came out, and guitar players today still use his ideas and techinique as influence for their own style.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUChizad

• Female Pledge Trainer
  • Auburn Basketball Hits Everything
« Reply #50 on: July 13, 2008, 04:39:45 PM »
The Solo in Bulls On Parade is the tip of the iceberg. Have you heard any Rage song besides that one?

Every Rage song only features drums, bass, guitar, and vocals. Knowing that, the sounds he makes that guitar make are pretty amazing.

From Rage Against The Machine:
Killing In The Name (3:50), Take The Power Back (2:42), Settle For Nothing (2:48), Bullet In The Head (1:17), Know Your Enemy (3:15), Wake Up (2:55), Fistful Of Steel (3:21), Township Rebellion (2:05), Freedom (2:08)
From Evil Empire:
Down Rodeo (2:23) , Without A Face (2:20), Wind Below (2:47)
From Battle Of Los Angeles:
Guerilla Radio (2:28) (yes, that's his guitar, not a harmonica), Mic Check (2:09), Sleep Now In The Fire (2:46),  Born As Ghosts (2:08), Maria (2:54),
From Renegades:
Pistol Grip Pump (2:15), Kick Out The Jams (1:40), Down On The Street (1:50)

I don't have many Audioslave songs, but just judging from their singles, he's quite impressive. Like A Stone (2:58), Doesn't Remind Me (2:51), Original Fire (2:27).

Here's a video someone compiled with some clips.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #51 on: July 13, 2008, 09:40:35 PM »
Good God...are people really saying that Kurt Cobain and Tom Morello are part of the top ten greatest guitar players of all time? 

If your list doesn't include Tommy Emmanuel, Django Reinhardt, Chet Atkins, Joscho Stephan, Jason Becker, Luca Turilli, Birelli Lagrene, Stochelo Rosenburg, Stevie Ray Vaughn, George Benson, Joe Pass, Lenny Breau, Les Paul, Eddie Van Halen, then you haven't done much research. 

Look those guys up.  I suggest youtubing these songs:

Tommy Emmanuel - Guitar Boogie, Train to Dusseldorf, or Initiation

Django Reinhardt - Nuages (But you won't find much from him)

Chet Atkins - Londonderry Aire, Poor People of Paris

Joscho Stephan - Bossa Dorado, La Gitane

Jason Becker - Serrana Arpeggios

Luca Turilli - The solos to When Demons Awake or Unholy Warcry

Birelli Lagrene - Anything you can find.  Probably the best jazz player of all time.

Stochelo Rosenburg -

Stevie Ray Vaughn - The Sky is Crying or his arrangement of Little Wing

George Benson - Take Five

Joe Pass - All the Things You Are

Lenny Breau - (This guy is legendary) - Georgia on My Mind

Les Paul - Avalon

Eddie Van Halen - Eruption

Etc, etc, etc. 

There's a lot of great guitarists (and other musicians) that don't get enough credit.  The criteria for top ten or best guitar players shouldn't be based on which guitar player you've listened to the most on the radio.  Example of a shitty guitar player who had a good band - Kurt Cobain.  Example of a pioneer who had enormous talent and innovation - Jimi Hendrix.  Example of a virtuoso who revolutionized jazz guitar and should be taught to every kid in school - Django Reinhardt. 

Consider yourselves informed.  I'm going to go sit in my room and contemplate what my level of guitar nerd is.

That Is a fucking good gutiar player,,,There are not too many people that can play like that!!!!
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Jumbo

• Assistant Pledge Master
  • I live on the corner of Epic & Bananas.
« Reply #52 on: July 14, 2008, 03:07:34 AM »
Slash
Ace Frehley
Dave Matthews
Eric Clapton
Hank Williams Jr.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll never shine if you don't glow.

« Reply #53 on: August 09, 2008, 08:11:57 PM »
I thought y'all might get a kick out of this.

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions