Predict the season...

Godfather

• Chapter
  • He knows!
    • Tigers X
Re: Predict the season...
« Reply #60 on: August 17, 2012, 09:54:00 AM »
Agreed.  Fuck the mutts.
I do think this team is gonna surprise some folks this year.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Gus is gone, hooray!
                       -Auburn Fans

Auburn Forum

djsimp

• Why don't you blow me ump!
« Reply #61 on: August 17, 2012, 10:04:37 AM »
I do think this team is gonna surprise some folks this year.

Agreed. It's like its in the air.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #62 on: August 17, 2012, 10:16:43 AM »
^^
This boy has a drinking problem.  He blacked out during most games. 

Offense was horrible.  Consistently horrible.

It is my opinion that most the time our offense was struggling was due to injury, and due to the handcuffs being on CGM because we were trying to protect the defense.  Against elite teams, we were out of our league, but that was only 2 games.  Look at the Clemson game last year.  What was different between the first half we we couldn't be stopped and the second half when we couldn't get it done? The talent didn't change at halftime.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #63 on: August 17, 2012, 10:56:27 AM »
I don't get the loss to UGay.

Yes I realize that they beat the shit outta us last year. However, I still think they were highly overrated in a fucking seriously weak East and I still think they are.  Our guys quit in that game last year, I don't see that happening with Van Gorder this year. 

I just don't see that as a definite loss.

Our guys did quit...about halfway through the first quarter. 

Georgia's pass defense is stout.  Obviously a lot could change in my perception of our team by then, but from what I know now, I don't see our offense doing much in terms of passing down field.  They have athletic linebackers with plenty of talent on the defensive line. 

If we can limit their passing game, I could see it being a close one.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The Guy That Knows Nothing of Hyperbole

Tiger Wench

• Does this armour make my ass look big?
« Reply #64 on: August 17, 2012, 11:30:23 AM »
I refuse to even consider the thought - not one iota of consideration - that we will not be able to beat TAMU at home.  I will be present for that game, and there is no fucking way I will tolerate that.  Besides, i would have to quit my job since I could not show up to work Monday.  Not because I have smack talked to any Faggies (I really haven't) but because being the classless rednecks they are, there will be a scrum of them in their overalls, waiting outside my office to be total douches.

Anyone who says different, I will not listen...

[fingers in ears]LALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALA
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #65 on: August 17, 2012, 12:03:52 PM »
It is my opinion that most the time our offense was struggling was due to injury, and due to the handcuffs being on CGM because we were trying to protect the defense.  Against elite teams, we were out of our league, but that was only 2 games.  Look at the Clemson game last year.  What was different between the first half we we couldn't be stopped and the second half when we couldn't get it done? The talent didn't change at halftime.

You are out of your mind. It doesn't matter WHY we were bad. We were BAD!! If we score 21 on Clemson in a half and then nut up? I would call that bad. How about Clemson maybe played a part in that in the 2nd half. Nevermind their D was not too good. Did you see how many they gave up to WVU in the bowl?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #66 on: August 17, 2012, 12:05:52 PM »
Our guys did quit...about halfway through the first quarter. 

Georgia's pass defense is stout.  Obviously a lot could change in my perception of our team by then, but from what I know now, I don't see our offense doing much in terms of passing down field.  They have athletic linebackers with plenty of talent on the defensive line. 

If we can limit their passing game, I could see it being a close one.

As long as Grantham is there, UGA's whole D will be pretty stout. The guy is good.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

jmar

« Reply #67 on: August 17, 2012, 10:33:03 PM »
You are out of your mind. It doesn't matter WHY we were bad. We were BAD!! If we score 21 on Clemson in a half and then nut up? I would call that bad. How about Clemson maybe played a part in that in the 2nd half. Nevermind their D was not too good. Did you see how many they gave up to WVU in the bowl?
UGA's weak spot is their LBs, just like us. And I think we can at least improve to a like level of last season's UGA D, which for us will be quite an improvement. 

As far as having two totally different halves or quitting as it is perceived, it happened to Auburn in the Clemson game once our D was exposed and worn down. This is when Watkins ignited them and it was perfectly timed by Gus' protege', unlike the solid raping they took from West Va. Now that was 60 minutes of QUIT! 

LSU's defense went from some young guys and Nevis in 2010 to two and three deep world beaters in 2011. We might be a transfer, JUCO or freshman backer away from being very good. Maybe somebody suddenly wakes up as Karlos Dansby. (ie. Frost) But we are most likely a year away thanks to Roof and our persistent effort to try to grow high school strong safeties into SEC linebackers.

We might improve dramatically on both sides of the ball and still not contend as quickly as we think we should because beyond Bama and LSU are UGA, Arky and State, all with veteran teams. (not forgetting the new additions)

I don't know if Frazier can sling it around. I know he's tough enough to get positive yards but I can't recall any greater mystery at the QB position going into a season at Auburn. Cam Newton you say?
I don't think so. Cam was a run/pass option wherever he landed after his cup of coffee at Florida and his time at Blinn. Can anyone see Cam ever filling the role of last year's Kiehl Frazier per Gus Malzahn?   

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

chinook

« Reply #68 on: August 17, 2012, 11:03:06 PM »
jwdeux...get with the program your avatar is a little flat. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #69 on: August 18, 2012, 07:40:22 AM »
jwdeux...get with the program your avatar is a little flat.
Yeah I need a new avatar as well. I think Kaos is sporting the newest/best overall. Leaves something for the imagination.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 07:42:19 AM by jmar »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #70 on: August 18, 2012, 11:06:11 AM »
9/1   vs. 22 Clemson            WIN
9/8   at Mississippi State       WIN
9/15   vs. Louisiana-Monroe   WIN
9/22   vs. 2 LSU                   LOSS
10/6   vs. 5 Arkansas           WIN
10/13   at Mississippi           WIN
10/20   at Vanderbilt            WIN
10/27   vs. Texas A&M           WIN
11/3   vs. New Mexico State   WIN
11/10   vs. 19 Georgia          WIN
11/17   vs. Alabama A&M        WIN
11/24   at 1 Alabama              LOSS

New Year's Day Bowl

^^^This
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #71 on: August 18, 2012, 11:33:47 AM »
^^^This

Why? 

I mean, I know some predictions in this thread are just homerific, sunshine pumping, having-fun-wishful-thinking, but does anyone really think we'll only lose to LSU and Alabama? 

friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

jmar

« Reply #72 on: August 18, 2012, 12:45:12 PM »
Why? 

I mean, I know some predictions in this thread are just homerific, sunshine pumping, having-fun-wishful-thinking, but does anyone really think we'll only lose to LSU and Alabama?
While I'm hopeful, there is no reason IMO to realistically expect a better record than last season with new systems being installed and several unknown quantities such as Frazier the passer, the absence of Dyer our top carrier, a soft offensive line being patched with RS Fr/ true freshmen and a defense that was gouged for 400 yds. per game, albeit with Roof at the helm. While I can foresee us getting better overall, I just would like some assurance that Frazier can get it to Lutz, Blake and others and I haven't heard a thing...whereas we know what Boyd, Wilson and Murray can do.   

Trouble is the other teams in the SEC West haven't been standing idly by and they are loaded with experienced players also expected to improve with much the same talent that trounced us last season.     
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #73 on: August 18, 2012, 01:58:16 PM »
Why? 

Fact is, it's a prediction thread.  I get my ass jumped here all the time for being "too serious" about football.  So, if I put my serious hat on, which y'all hate, I can make this prediction: I don't have a fucking clue, and neither do you or anybody else if they're making a "serious prediction" based on what they think they "know".  I don't see any way a team that returns a good number of starters on both sides of the ball does worse than they did last year.  That said, a key component of any team is an unknown at Auburn this year.  I have high hopes for Frazier, but I just don't know.  The offense will be totally different (or it's supposed to be...Loeffler has the diverse background to make it just like it was pretty much), and what he'll be asked to do is anybody's guess.  I suspect he'll be asked to manage the game, not make mistakes, that we'll lean on the run game, run clock, play defense and field position.  I look for a FB and a lot of TEs to be used in a ground and pound type game.   Game flow will go back to more Tubs like strategy.  The people that like to do so will complain about that too.  But then again, they may find Frazier can help most if he's part of the run game.  I don't know.  If Frazier is a flop, then look out, it could be very ugly. 

I expect the defense to look better, and be better, but the LB corp is a glaring weakness when it comes to depth.   The DT position last year was weak.  Will they improve?  Obviously the overall defensive strategy can't get any worse than under Roof.  BVG has a proven track record.  Does he have the players to make it work?   I know some folks, with an opinion I value, that think we lack overall talent on defense.  Could be that they mean they were just young and not physically ready last year, and maybe they've grown up some. Whitaker and Blackson for example were not the big run stoppers they're supposed to be.  Will another off season and new scheme change that?

Injuries can change an entire season.  Complete unknown. 

Bottom line is I don't think Ark. is going to be all that, and I think that we were capable of beating Clemson last year, but for a horrific Defense.  We have the advantage of them having no clue what we're going to look like scheme wise on  either side of the ball, and they're without Watkins, so I think we win that one.  In my mind the only games you can't put a W by are Bammer, LSU, Ark, aTm, and UGA.  As stated, I think we beat Ark, aTm could be decent, but they have a new QB so I say that's a win.  UGA will choke at some point, and I say we get them. 

It's nothing more than a stab at a guess no matter what you predict. 

That's why. 
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 02:03:40 PM by JR4AU »
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #74 on: August 18, 2012, 02:08:45 PM »
THS,

Did you predict we'd go undefeated in 2010?  Did anyone other than maybe Chizad and Prowler?  I mean if you KNEW what we had, it would have been a safe prediction.  Fact is, the coaches didn't really even KNOW until about 3 games in exactly what they were working with. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #75 on: August 18, 2012, 02:49:55 PM »
THS,

Did you predict we'd go undefeated in 2010?  Did anyone other than maybe Chizad and Prowler?  I mean if you KNEW what we had, it would have been a safe prediction.  Fact is, the coaches didn't really even KNOW until about 3 games in exactly what they were working with.

I'm not saying anyone knows anything.  However, I do think there's a big difference between making a blind stab at the season and making an educated guess.

I just want reasons from people who think we can beat UGA and Arkansas.  Hell, even Clemson.  That's definitely not a given win. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

JR4AU

« Reply #76 on: August 18, 2012, 03:28:11 PM »
I'm not saying anyone knows anything.  However, I do think there's a big difference between making a blind stab at the season and making an educated guess.

I just want reasons from people who think we can beat UGA and Arkansas.  Hell, even Clemson.  That's definitely not a given win.

I thinik we'll be better.  Why?  Experience, and maturity, mainly on both sides of the ball at the line position.   

Question mark games, and why I think we will win or lose:

Clemson: We were pretty much even with them for two and a half quarters last year.  The offense bogged down late, and the defense gave up scads of yards late.   We talked about their OL problems this season already.  That's huge.  They are truly in a bind on the OL much like we were last year.  Our DL should be better.  They are Watkinsless.  That's big.   They don't know what they'll see from us scheme wise, or if they do have a clue, they have no idea about any tendencies we will have.  They'll have to prepare do see anything from 3 TEs and a FB to Spread.  They have no idea what any of our personnel packages mean.   They probably have found some film on BVG's defenses, but have no clue how he'll implement it here.     Different personnel mean different Xs and Os at times.   I think we win a lower scoring game. 

Ark.  My prediction is based on the style of offense I think we'll be playing vs their defense, and their offseason issues.  Losing Petrino is huge.  What they're doing is essentially like our Nallsminger experiment, except with the head coach.  I think we'll be able to push their D around, and control the ball. 

UGA and aTm: I have no reason to hang my hat on to predict either game either way.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The Prowler

• Catch Him!
« Reply #77 on: August 18, 2012, 03:39:19 PM »
I thinik we'll be better.  Why?  Experience, and maturity, mainly on both sides of the ball at the line position.   

Question mark games, and why I think we will win or lose:

Clemson: We were pretty much even with them for two and a half quarters last year.  The offense bogged down late, and the defense gave up scads of yards late.   We talked about their OL problems this season already.  That's huge.  They are truly in a bind on the OL much like we were last year.  Our DL should be better.  They are Watkinsless.  That's big.   They don't know what they'll see from us scheme wise, or if they do have a clue, they have no idea about any tendencies we will have.  They'll have to prepare do see anything from 3 TEs and a FB to Spread.  They have no idea what any of our personnel packages mean.   They probably have found some film on BVG's defenses, but have no clue how he'll implement it here.     Different personnel mean different Xs and Os at times.   I think we win a lower scoring game. 

Ark.  My prediction is based on the style of offense I think we'll be playing vs their defense, and their offseason issues.  Losing Petrino is huge.  What they're doing is essentially like our Nallsminger experiment, except with the head coach.  I think we'll be able to push their D around, and control the ball. 

UGA and aTm: I have no reason to hang my hat on to predict either game either way.
Nope...not educated enough, I need more reasoning as to how you think it's conceivable that Auburn could stand a chance against the mighty Hawgs, Dawgs, Tigers, & Aggies.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Patriotism and popularity are the beaten paths for power and tyranny." Good, no worries about tyranny w/ Trump

"Alabama's Special Teams unit is made up of Special Ed students." - Daniel Tosh

"The HUNH does cause significant Health and Safety issues, Health issues for the opposing fans and Safety issues for the opposing coaches." - AU AD Jay Jacobs

jmar

« Reply #78 on: August 18, 2012, 04:56:04 PM »
Nope...not educated enough, I need more reasoning as to how you think it's conceivable that Auburn could stand a chance against the mighty Hawgs, Dawgs, Tigers, & Aggies.
Turtle Power?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

chinook

« Reply #79 on: August 18, 2012, 04:59:16 PM »

you realize he's prenostradamus. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions