Tigers X - Number one Source to Talk Auburn Tigers Sports

With A Little Less Than 50...

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
With A Little Less Than 50...
« on: August 15, 2012, 12:25:31 PM »
to play....taking a look at where teams stand. Leaders in the AL are the Yankmees, White Sox and Rangers.  The Yanks are 5 1/2 up on Tampa and 6 up on the Baltimore Gloryholes.  The O's are still 10 games over .500 and right there with Tampa for the Wildcard berth.  Chicago and Detroit look like they'll battle to the end while Texas remains 6 games up in the West.  The Angels are an epic fail IMO, only being 4 games over .500

In the NL, the Braves have played great ball since the All Star break and are 18 games over .500....but continue to lose ground to Washington.  Currently 5 games back; however, they are several games out in front in the Wildcard.  The closest Wildcard team right now is Pittsburgh at 64-52. Cincinnati is kicking major ass at 70-46 coming into today.  I think their pitching staff, along with Washington's may be the best in baseballz.  The Cards are 10 games over .500 and always best to keep an eye on them after last season.  In the West, the Dodgers and Giants are neck and neck with only a 1/2 game separating them. 

Thoughts as we head down the home stretch?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Re: With A Little Less Than 50...
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2012, 12:43:50 PM »
Cards are 1 game behind Pittsburgh.  I think the Pirates will fade, they haven't played well in the second half.  Cards starting pitching has been outstanding the second half.  I'm not saying they will go on a run like last year, but the pitching has been doing it's part to fuel them.  We're 16-5 at home since the ASG, and 14 of our next 24 are at home.  Maybe we can make some ground up on Cincy.

Braves will win one WC, and that will leave the Cards vs the 2nd place team in the west for the other.

I'm curious how the Nats will do once (if?) Strasburg is shut down.

In the AL, I think you're getting a preview of the ALCS this week in the Yanks/Rangers series.

Bigger choke job this year, the Red Sox, or the Angels?

Does anyone know if both wild card teams can come from the same division?  In the AL, if the season ended today, Baltimore and Tampa Bay would have the best non-division champion records.  I don't feel like looking it up.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

• I'm a Miller guy. Always been. Since I was like, 8
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2012, 12:51:26 PM »
Nats are about to shut Strasberg down though Snags. Could be good for the Bravos. Either way, theyve done much better than I ever thought they would this year. 18 games over .500 and not even out of August. I would have taken that back in April. Let's see if we can avoid another collapse like last year.

The red sox don't have to worry about that this year at least.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2012, 12:55:20 PM »
I'm confused.  Isn't there just one WC team from each league?  There are 3 divisions in each league so one WC team would make an even number for the playoffs.  Or...do two WC teams play each other?  Am I brain dead?

Anywho, I think the Angels are the bigger choke job.  The Sox had a huge amount of injuries and if there was a choke job, it was hiring that goofy ass Bobby Valentine.  I started pulling for the Sox years back, mainly just to have someone to pull for as the anti-Yankee.  When they hired him, I lost a lot of interest.  I kept hearing all year that the Angels are now the most talented team in baseball yada yada yada....4 games over.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
My doctor told me I needed to stop masturbating.  I asked him why, and he said, "because I'm trying to examine you."

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2012, 12:56:37 PM »
How many games back are my Cubbies?  7?  8-1/2?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2012, 12:58:42 PM »
I'm confused.  Isn't there just one WC team from each league?  There are 3 divisions in each league so one WC team would make an even number for the playoffs.  Or...do two WC teams play each other?  Am I brain dead?

This will be the first year with two wild card teams in each league.  Those two teams will play a one game playoff, to advance to the divisional round.  So last year, the Cards would have played the Braves.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/standings/_/type/wild-card

And that answers my question about two teams in the same division.  That has both TB and Baltimore in the top spots.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2012, 12:59:26 PM »
How many games back are my Cubbies?  7?  8-1/2?

18.5 in the Wild Card.  24.5 in the central.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2012, 12:59:52 PM »
This will be the first year with two wild card teams in each league.  Those two teams will play a one game playoff, to advance to the divisional round.  So last year, the Cards would have played the Braves.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/standings/_/type/wild-card

And that answers my question about two teams in the same division.  That has both TB and Baltimore in the top spots.

Thanks.  Totally missed that.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2012, 01:00:11 PM »
18.5 in the Wild Card.  24.5 in the central.

Sweet!  Right in the thick of the race.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Now I may be an idiot, but there is one thing I am not, sir, and that, sir, is an idiot.

GH2001

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2012, 01:00:43 PM »
if there was a choke job, it was hiring that goofy ass Bobby Valentine. 

This was all that needed to be said. Who in the hell hires that guy? Only the Sox.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Snaggletiger

• My Fighting Pearls
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2012, 01:02:32 PM »
Sweet!  Right in the thick of the race.

I'll be in Chicago next Friday.  Considering a Cubs game.  They're in town against the Brewers.  But, I'm less than 50/40 on that.  I'm flying up but driving my daughter's car back.  19 hours so I may want to get on the road to break it up.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2012, 01:03:35 PM »
I'll be in Chicago next Friday.  Considering a Cubs game.  They're in town against the Brewers.  But, I'm less than 50/40 on that.  I'm flying up but driving my daughter's car back.  19 hours so I may want to get on the road to break it up.

Say, where is AUT1 with the in depth O's analysis?
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2012, 01:12:05 PM »
Say, where is AUT1 with the in depth O's analysis?

The O's have the Tigers and Rangers up next.  Fully expect to get swept by the Rangers and lose two to the Tigers.  Seems to be the way we have played them this year.  Then we have the Jays and ChiSox coming up.  We have pretty much owned the Blue Jays this year and basically have split even with the ChiSox this year.  Should come out of those series in decent shape, but then reality sits in.  We have the Yanks, Jays,Yanks again and then the Rays.  I hate playing the Yankees this late in the season like that.  But the good thing is we end out season against Seatlle, Oakland, Boston, and Toronto.  We have played well against all of them this year.   

If Baltimore can keep up what they have been doing, and pitching staff not wear down this last 50, then the series with the stretch with the Yanks and Rays will determine if we make a WC or not.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Courage is only fear holding on a minute longer.--George S. Patton

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

GH2001

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2012, 01:35:44 PM »
The O's have the Tigers and Rangers up next.  Fully expect to get swept by the Rangers and lose two to the Tigers.  Seems to be the way we have played them this year.  Then we have the Jays and ChiSox coming up.  We have pretty much owned the Blue Jays this year and basically have split even with the ChiSox this year.  Should come out of those series in decent shape, but then reality sits in.  We have the Yanks, Jays,Yanks again and then the Rays.  I hate playing the Yankees this late in the season like that.  But the good thing is we end out season against Seatlle, Oakland, Boston, and Toronto.  We have played well against all of them this year.   

If Baltimore can keep up what they have been doing, and pitching staff not wear down this last 50, then the series with the stretch with the Yanks and Rays will determine if we make a WC or not.

And he comes through in the clutch - pun intended.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

Buzz Killington

• Bofa
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2012, 01:38:27 PM »

If you have the chance, I recommend taking a game in.  Enjoy an Old Style and a polish sausage dog while you're there too.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2012, 02:17:44 PM »
And he comes through in the clutch - pun intended.

Well I already had that wonderful analysis typed and hit post and it said there was a new post, then I saw it was you, so I inserted quote.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

There are gonna be days when you lay your guts on the line and you come away empty handed, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it but go back out there and lay em on the line again...and again, and again! -- Coach Pat Dye

It isn't that liberals are ignorant. It's just they know so much that isn't so. --Ronald Reagan

GH2001

« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2012, 02:34:44 PM »
Well I already had that wonderful analysis typed and hit post and it said there was a new post, then I saw it was you, so I inserted quote.

I admit the Oreos have done better than anyone thought.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2012, 03:03:38 PM »
I admit the Oreos have done better than anyone thought.

A bunch of young, not very well paid, no names have bought into what Showalter is preaching.  If they would buy one or two good consistent starting pitchers it would have pushed them over the top this year.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GH2001

« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2012, 04:37:27 PM »
A bunch of young, not very well paid, no names have bought into what Showalter is preaching.  If they would buy one or two good consistent starting pitchers it would have pushed them over the top this year.

Whoa now....let's not get carried away brother.
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WDE

AUTiger1

• Eat a Peach
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2012, 04:48:22 PM »
Whoa now....let's not get carried away brother.

Not saying they would win it all, but two and possibly one "consistent" 15 win type of guy and they are sitting on top of the east.   It's sad they are tied for second in the division only 6 games out and tied for a wild card birth and the most wins any starter has is 11. 
friendly
funny
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions